PDA

View Full Version : Sony -is- retarted: new PSP without UMD

Pages : [1] 2 3

LovingSticky
06-01-09, 03:26 AM
New version of PSP will -NOT- feature slot for UMD media, thus making it incompatible with all games currently on the market.

http://www.dailytech.com/New+PSP+Go+Officially+Revealed+By+Sony+Exec+In+Lea ked+Video/article15286.htm

Way to go Sony! (to bankruptcy)

Mr. Hunt
06-01-09, 03:31 AM
Nothing to say about this, but I just had to post to point out how stupid the thread title is...

AthlonXP1800
06-01-09, 03:31 AM
Why do you think Sony is retarted? Are you aware that 95% of PSP games are pirated? The pirates use flash cards to play games and movies ripped from DVDs, UMD are very unpopular.

LovingSticky
06-01-09, 03:32 AM
(month ago) Sony reports $1 billion annual loss
http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-10240672-93.html

LovingSticky
06-01-09, 03:35 AM
Why do you think Sony is retarted? Are you aware that 95% of PSP games are pirated? The pirates use flash cards to play games and movies ripped from DVDs, UMD are very unpopular.

People will get really confused that some games work on their new PSP but most do not (as they are on UMD). They should at least give it a different name, because it is a different product...

As for pirates - this will make it even easier for them, with 16GB internal storage.

Sony is well known for making stupid marketing decisions, and this is one of them.

marqmajere
06-01-09, 03:55 AM
Sony may make bad choices, but it seems to work out for them in the long run. i.e. Blueray.

Regardless, downloadable media is a growing market and Sony is pushing it forward with the new psp. Just because they are releasing this new UMD-free version, doesn't mean all of the other psp's vanish into thin air.

marqmajere
06-01-09, 03:59 AM
From the link in the first post:

"Mr. Koller says in the video that Sony is pushing for more "casual" games, likely looking to emulate Nintendo's success with its Wii and DSi platforms.

He says that the new PSP Go will go on sale this Fall, but declines to mention a price. He does state that the PSP 3000 will continue to be sold concurrently, over the holiday season, happy news for any UMD-lovers that might be out there."

LovingSticky
06-01-09, 04:02 AM
Sony may make bad choices, but it seems to work out for them in the long run. i.e. Blueray.

Yes, sometimes they got lucky. But I would not view Blu-ray as a successful technology - FullHD (1080p) movie ripped to MKV container has 5-6GB, which can be placed even on DVD, and downloaded within a reasonable time.

If online distribution is the way to go, Blu-ray will have very short lifespan.

marqmajere
06-01-09, 04:07 AM
The advantage of Blueray is having uncompressed data. It's not going anywhere considering a standard BR movie can be anywhere from 20-50 gigs in size. That's not easy, or practical for downloading situations. Online distribution is for smaller files such as games, music and some software that doesn't fall into either of those categories.

LovingSticky
06-01-09, 04:11 AM
Blu-Ray movies are compressed (same as MKV rips). But if you delete multiple audio streams (leaving English + subtitles), ads, add-ons, FBI warnings, etc., you can easily fit whole 1080p movie on dual-layer DVD.

marqmajere
06-01-09, 04:25 AM
High-definition video (720p or 1080i) requires five times the recording capacity of standard definition video (480i). The actual HDTV transmission is based on a 19.4 Mbps (Mega bits per second) digital data stream but the maximum data transfer for DVD is about 10 Mbps. Thus, there’s simply not enough bandwidth to put an HDTV program on a recordable DVD format. To achieve the density necessary to put this amount of data on a single-sided 12 cm optical disc, the size of the spots burned into the disc need to be smaller.

Basically, a standard DVD doesn't have the capacity to hold a true blue ray movie. We aren't talking about your pirated, slimmed down version.

Back on topic, the new psp isn't a stupid idea at all. The psp is more than a game machine and using a downloadable media system, they are opening up a new distribution medium. Downloading music, movies and even games directly to your psp where ever you have access to a wifi or bluetooth doesn't seem like such a bad thing to me. :)

marqmajere
06-01-09, 04:26 AM
And yes, blue ray movies are compressed. That was my mistake.

marqmajere
06-01-09, 04:52 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1ne93VZZc0&feature=related

Here's a video about the new PSP Go. I think it's a neat idea and as long as it doesn't cost more than a normal psp, I'd be tempted to pick one up.

Toss3
06-01-09, 05:06 AM
Bit retarded - they should have made a gaming-phone to rival the Iphone. Having a separate device to play games is pretty 90s if you ask me. :p

|MaguS|
06-01-09, 08:19 AM
I think it was a brilliant idea. Take the security that the ps3 uses and put it on the psp go and they have a winner. I'm sure they will rerelease all the good titles on the psn (which they have been doing).

The psp was still too big to be an always carry portable like the ds this puts it on it's level.

|MaguS|
06-01-09, 08:26 AM
A 1080p video compressed at Blu-Ray quality would not fit on a DVD if you intended for it to playback as a standard DVD. You keep talking about mkv but 90% of the people don't know of give a shut about it. They just want to take the disc and put it in their player. I don't know of many DVD players that support the mkv codec.

Btw the audio of a blu-ray is uncompressed and even compressing it at the same quality level would take up tons of storage.

Marvel_us
06-01-09, 08:51 AM
Agreed, Sony already has a store which has a few downloadable PSP games. I'm pretty sure there will be a good selection of content. Also, I look for them to continue to build upon remote play with the PS3. On the issue of piracy, correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think it's possible to hack games from the Apple store.

Mr. Hunt
06-01-09, 11:40 AM
Yeah, this is why Sony has been releasing more PS1 titles and PSP titles for download. I don't think it is that bad honestly.

nemecb
06-01-09, 12:02 PM
But I bet they can spell retarded.

UMD was an abject failure as a format so as far as I'm concerned kudos to Sony for dropping it. The rumors I've heard suggest that there will be some way to rip UMD games for the Go so, assuming that's true, if you're willing to deal with a bit of hassle it will still be possible to play old games. I guess we'll see when Sony officially announces this though.

nekrosoft13
06-01-09, 02:09 PM
The advantage of Blueray is having uncompressed data. It's not going anywhere considering a standard BR movie can be anywhere from 20-50 gigs in size. That's not easy, or practical for downloading situations. Online distribution is for smaller files such as games, music and some software that doesn't fall into either of those categories.

every blu-ray is compressed, what do you think of h264, vc1, mpg2 are?

nekrosoft13
06-01-09, 02:16 PM
A 1080p video compressed at Blu-Ray quality would not fit on a DVD if you intended for it to playback as a standard DVD. You keep talking about mkv but 90% of the people don't know of give a shut about it. They just want to take the disc and put it in their player. I don't know of many DVD players that support the mkv codec.

Btw the audio of a blu-ray is uncompressed and even compressing it at the same quality level would take up tons of storage.

mkv is not a codec, its a container, inside that container are standard video and audio encoded streams.
MKV is also a more versatile, efficient container compared to m2ts (blu-ray stranform stream) or ts files, containing the excactly the same files and utilizing less space.

and only few movies have uncompresssed LPCM audio streams, while most have AC3 (Dolby) or DTS

fizzelopeguss
06-01-09, 02:19 PM
UMD games didn't sell, it was a design albatross for the psp, long loading times, battery drain, bulky as **** console.

Buio
06-01-09, 02:32 PM

Even DVD supports that, like for example PCM. If you are thinking of Dolby TrueHD on blu-ray , it is also compressed, just not lossy.

ralinn
06-01-09, 03:26 PM

Surely they're not all that bad choices then?

nekrosoft13
06-01-09, 03:38 PM
Even DVD supports that, like for example PCM. If you are thinking of Dolby TrueHD on blu-ray , it is also compressed, just not lossy.

Dolby TrueHD is AC3 5.1 track with few extra bits added on top. you can seperate the two