PDA

View Full Version : The computer gods hate me......

Pages : [1] 2

CaptNKILL
06-14-03, 05:19 PM
Well, right now im using the same system that is in my sig... well, minus the GF4 Ti 4400 and plus a GF2 MX200 PCI.... (and everything is at default clocks).

Yesterday I was playing some Battlefield 1942, and messing with the new level editor. Everything was working fine (as usual). I turned off my comp, came back about 30 minutes later, turned it on.... POST.... IDE drives detected....Windows XP loading... small screen with garbled lines and dots? waaa?????

I instantly said "no..... way.... not again". For those that dont know, I just lost my Gigabyte KT333 mobo (less than a year old) in April, and replaced it with this Abit NF7-S.

I restarted my comp, when it got to the garbled screen this time... it just went black... then my monitor went into power saving!!! GAAAAAH!!!!!!

I restarted again, noticed some redness on some letters in the POST screen.... emediatly I thought "my $240 video card is dead...".... I went into the BIOS config.... THE BIOS SCREEN WAS ALL MESSED UP! Random letters and symbols all over the place.... I was seriously flipping out at this point... I mean, why the hell does my hardware HAVE TO FAIL, ALWAYS? Does some sick f#$@ "up stairs" say "uho, Joe's enjoying his computer! He cant do that!" *zap*. I didnt do a damn thing to my computer this time. NOR the last time. I'll skip the rest of the story (such as the part where I beat my computer with the power cord) and just tell you where im at now...

My Geforce 4, most likely IS dead... the redness on the letters tells me that the memory is fried (I think). How did it happen? The temps werent too high, and I actually LOWERED my video overclock two days ago... soo...

I think it was my AGP slot.... I think it died and fried my card. I really cant TEST this (dont want to fry any more perfectly good AGP cards), but from what ive examined so far, its the most likely situation. For example, when I put my PCI video card in slot 1 it had some problems..... PCI 1 shares resources with AGP...

How did the AGP port DIE? Well if it did, I have no f*&@#$ clue why, since I had my AGP speed and bus dividers(?) set so that nothing but the CPU was getting any extra strain. All I can think is that the NASTY humidity yesterday caused my AGP slot to commit suicide and take my Geforce 4 (god rest his soul) with it.

Well, ive lost about $500 worth of hardware in the past 2 months.... not to mention a $150 CPU last summer (along with $350 worth of my brother's hardware)... I dont know if I can take this crap any more. I wish computers were a lot less interesting, because Im really beginning to think Id be better off not having a hobby related to them....

EMunEeE
06-14-03, 05:28 PM
Originally posted by CaptNKILL
Well, right now im using the same system that is in my sig... well, minus the GF4 Ti 4400 and plus a GF2 MX200 PCI.... (and everything is at default clocks).

Yesterday I was playing some Battlefield 1942, and messing with the new level editor. Everything was working fine (as usual). I turned off my comp, came back about 30 minutes later, turned it on.... POST.... IDE drives detected....Windows XP loading... small screen with garbled lines and dots? waaa?????

I instantly said "no..... way.... not again". For those that dont know, I just lost my Gigabyte KT333 mobo (less than a year old) in April, and replaced it with this Abit NF7-S.

I restarted my comp, when it got to the garbled screen this time... it just went black... then my monitor went into power saving!!! GAAAAAH!!!!!!

I restarted again, noticed some redness on some letters in the POST screen.... emediatly I thought "my $240 video card is dead...".... I went into the BIOS config.... THE BIOS SCREEN WAS ALL MESSED UP! Random letters and symbols all over the place.... I was seriously flipping out at this point... I mean, why the hell does my hardware HAVE TO FAIL, ALWAYS? Does some sick f#$@ "up stairs" say "uho, Joe's enjoying his computer! He cant do that!" *zap*. I didnt do a damn thing to my computer this time. NOR the last time. I'll skip the rest of the story (such as the part where I beat my computer with the power cord) and just tell you where im at now...

My Geforce 4, most likely IS dead... the redness on the letters tells me that the memory is fried (I think). How did it happen? The temps werent too high, and I actually LOWERED my video overclock two days ago... soo...

I think it was my AGP slot.... I think it died and fried my card. I really cant TEST this (dont want to fry any more perfectly good AGP cards), but from what ive examined so far, its the most likely situation. For example, when I put my PCI video card in slot 1 it had some problems..... PCI 1 shares resources with AGP...

How did the AGP port DIE? Well if it did, I have no f*&@#$ clue why, since I had my AGP speed and bus dividers(?) set so that nothing but the CPU was getting any extra strain. All I can think is that the NASTY humidity yesterday caused my AGP slot to commit suicide and take my Geforce 4 (god rest his soul) with it.

Well, ive lost about $500 worth of hardware in the past 2 months.... not to mention a $150 CPU last summer (along with $350 worth of my brother's hardware)... I dont know if I can take this crap any more. I wish computers were a lot less interesting, because Im really beginning to think Id be better off not having a hobby related to them....

Your GeForce failed purposely so nVIDIA can get you to buy another one...:D :p

Kev1
06-14-03, 05:41 PM
I know it sucks RMAing stuff but I think you should not have to buy a replacement.

I hope the almighty computer gods shine the 2 gigawatt zeon light on you and your computer troubles end and everything works great from now on :)

CaptNKILL
06-14-03, 08:19 PM
Originally posted by Kev1
I know it sucks RMAing stuff but I think you should not have to buy a replacement.

I hope the almighty computer gods shine the 2 gigawatt zeon light on you and your computer troubles end and everything works great from now on :)

thanks kev :)

yeah, it appears that I wont have to pay to replace anything, but it still pisses me off that no matter how much or how little I do, my computer could (and probably will) break for no reason.

Anyone know of a way to test these parts individually without burning anything else up? I want to make absolute sure that its both before I send my mobo and video card off to be fixed.

Im pretty sure that a damaged AGP slot can kill a card (the slot provides the card with power). But, can a partially damaged (but still bootable) video card kill an AGP slot\mobo? I want to check my card in another comp, but I dont want to do any more damage.

Ive got about a day before I can do any RMAing (monday-friday only for RMA services) so I might as well use the time to varify the problem.

Any help you guys can give would be great.

Geforce4ti4200
06-14-03, 09:37 PM
try that card in another computer, if it works, your agp slot is dead and not the card :)

CaptNKILL
06-14-03, 10:11 PM
Originally posted by Geforce4ti4200
try that card in another computer, if it works, your agp slot is dead and not the card :)

yeah, but can the card break THAT computer if its the card thats broken?

CaptNKILL
06-14-03, 11:32 PM
:(

...its dead....

I just threw my Geforce 4 into another comp and the video was doing the text corruption thing (random symbols in place of other ones). I didnt notice the redness around text like I did with my Abit board. So.... Im back where I started now :(

Is there a way I can test my AGP slot without possibly toasting another card? Im pretty sure the slot is dead, but Id like to make sure.

Maybe i could go find an AGP card somewhere, buy it, throw it in my comp, if it works then my mobo is fine, if it doesnt work then I know my mobo is dead, if the card gets fried, oh well, in any case I will return the card saying "it didnt work in my computer" :)

CaptNKILL
06-15-03, 12:04 AM
ok, I just sent the RMA request for my Geforce 4. Im glad I kept the box tho, because the serial# sticker fell off the card!!!!! The box has the same sticker on it, so I could still request the RMA. Do you think I will run into a problem with this? I can send the box (or just the piece of the box with the sticker on it) along with the card... or i can take the sticker off the box (carefully) and put it on the card.

And, for my fellow NF7 users out there, WHERE THE HECK IS THE SERIAL NUMBER ON THIS THING!?!?!?!?!?! Theres one on the box, but I cant find the number anywhere on the freaking board! Ive checked all over for a number that begins with "NF7", like the website tells me... there isnt one anywhere on the front of this boad. Do you think its on the back?

Gah... I dont want to take this mobo out right now :(

Why the hell do things have to be so hard?

EDIT: Im curious, how is EVGA's RMA service? I know ABIT has an awesome RMA service (they say that they can have a replacement for people in around 10 days), but EVGA? I dont know.....

The Baron
06-15-03, 12:14 AM
And, for my fellow NF7 users out there, WHERE THE HECK IS THE SERIAL NUMBER ON THIS THING!?!?!?!?!?! Theres one on the box, but I cant find the number anywhere on the freaking board! Ive checked all over for a number that begins with "NF7", like the website tells me... there isnt one anywhere on the front of this boad. Do you think its on the back?
I'll tell you Tuesday :p

CaptNKILL
06-15-03, 12:17 AM
Originally posted by The Baron
I'll tell you Tuesday :p
Hehe, good luck with your new board... I hope you dont get the AGP slot packed with C4, like I did.

Starscream
06-15-03, 02:03 PM
Dead hardware does suck a lot.

Right now I'm on my third Western Digital 80 gig SE drive. I'm about to rma this one. ugh.

My first one worked well for months, but then it started getting really really loud and started to fail western digitals data life guard tests. So I did an advance rma. The replacement drive made clicking noises all the time and was louder than the first. So I rma that one and get a drive that makes the most noise yet. Not all the time though, sometimes it'll be nice and quiet, but every once in a while it just makes this ear bleedingly loud screaching noise, and now my install of windows on that drive has corrupted files.

muzz
06-15-03, 02:56 PM
Isn't the serial number on the sticker that is on the left side of the last PCI slot?

CaptNKILL
06-15-03, 03:02 PM
Originally posted by muzz
Isn't the serial number on the sticker that is on the left side of the last PCI slot?
I thought so, but its not the right number. Its just a series of numbers without the "NF7" beginning. Its not the same as the serial # on the box.

muzz
06-15-03, 03:06 PM
I just checked my box and that sticker.......
On mine they are the exact same , and they both start with NF7- Cxxxxxxxx.

Maybe I am misunderstanding you.

Geforce4ti4200
06-15-03, 05:42 PM
some people have all the bad luck, I had the abit be6-2 die on me 2 times so I said forget it and bought the bf6 and shes still alive now! also had as-is stuff work for a short time then die, one hdd and a mobo died too :( had two actiontek hardware pci modems die and I hate winmodems, good thing im using an Intel hardware modem now :cool:

CaptNKILL
06-15-03, 09:16 PM
I just checked my box and that sticker.......
On mine they are the exact same , and they both start with NF7- Cxxxxxxxx.

Maybe I am misunderstanding you.

OK, I misread your last post.

I was looking at the one to the right of the PCI slots... mine has a bunch of numbers then ends in "NF7-S 2.0".

The thing is, I dont HAVE a sticker to the left of my last PCI slot....!?!?!?!?

There better be a freaking serial number on the back of this thing or im going to be really pissed off... I probably got the one board that the serial number checking guy missed... now I have to pay out the ass to have the thing fixed.

I do have the "NF7S-C*******" sticker on my box though.

CaptNKILL
06-16-03, 11:56 PM
OK, the RMA request for my video card has been processed and I should get my RMA number in a few days.

BUT, I still dont have the damn serial number sticker on my mobo. I havent taken it out of my case yet to check the back, but Id REALLY appreciate it if some other NF7-*S* owners could tell me if their serial number sticker is on the front of the board or the back.

BTW, Im in a bit of a pickle with my video card s\n. Like I said, the original fell off the card (it was barely glued on and was hanging into my other cards, so I just pulled it off). Should I try to take the one off of my box (CAREFULLY) and stick it on the card, or would it be good enough for EVGA if I just included the piece of the box with the sticker on it? I want this to be as fast and painless as possible, so im thinking it would be easier to take it off the box and stick it on the card... but do they even care?

If I do take it off of the box, its stuck on there pretty good, any ideas on how to keep it intact? And what kind of sticky stuff should I use to put it on the card? Super glue makes it a little too obvious :)

gokickrocks
06-17-03, 12:01 AM
the nf7's serial number is on the box...

CaptNKILL
06-17-03, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by gokickrocks
the nf7's serial number is on the box...
yeah.... :rolleyes:

....but where is it on the board? Im pretty sure that it HAS to be on the board, because you arent supposed to send the box.

AthlonXP1800
06-17-03, 06:12 PM
Originally posted by CaptNKILL
yeah.... :rolleyes:

....but where is it on the board? Im pretty sure that it HAS to be on the board, because you arent supposed to send the box.

Maybe the motherboard serial sticker could be on the base of motherboard, my previous MSI motherboard had sticker on the base. If not, maybe you could spent 2 hours magify on the motherboard every half inch by half inch. Or maybe you could scan it off the motherboad box and print it out, cut it off and glue it on the motherboard. :D

muzz
06-17-03, 07:23 PM
Can you even see the left side of the LAST ( BOTTOM) pci slot when it's in the case?
The left side of the mobo when on a bench ( ports facing away), bottom left when in the case.
White sticker on the white pci slot.

ben6
06-17-03, 07:30 PM
Yeah it really sucks to have red weird symbols on the screen. A warning from someone who has numerous videocards (28 at last count ;)) . ALWAYS GROUND YOURSELF BEFORE TOUCHING a computer component.

I'm lucky, there's NO carpet in my computer room (we have a tile floor like most bathroom floors. But you wouldn't believe how easy it is to render a $200+ ideocard useless (had a Radeon 8500 go bad because I shorted it out while walking over carpet 3 feet)

That's why my videocard box is full of anti-static bags and straps LOL

CaptNKILL
06-17-03, 07:40 PM
Originally posted by ben6
Yeah it really sucks to have red weird symbols on the screen. A warning from someone who has numerous videocards (28 at last count ;)) . ALWAYS GROUND YOURSELF BEFORE TOUCHING a computer component.

I'm lucky, there's NO carpet in my computer room (we have a tile floor like most bathroom floors. But you wouldn't believe how easy it is to render a $200+ ideocard useless (had a Radeon 8500 go bad because I shorted it out while walking over carpet 3 feet)

That's why my videocard box is full of anti-static bags and straps LOL

So do you think my AGP slot is dead or just the card? I dont know what causes the redness and wierd symbols, so I just assumed that since everything was fine when I turned it off, then the video was dead when I turned it on, that the AGP slot fried for some reason.

You seem to have lots of experience with video cards, so, do you know anything about this? If you have to, read my first post for more info on the problem.

Because RMAing the mobo is so much trouble, I think I might want to go to walmart or something and buy an AGP card. Try it out, and if it works, yay! If it doesnt, I need to RMA the board. Then I can just return the card. I wonder if walmart sells any remotely new AGP cards (anything too old wont work at all because of the voltages). Does anyone know what the oldest card is that I can use in an Nforce 2 board?

muzz
06-17-03, 08:07 PM
I would THINK any 4x card will do..........

CaptNKILL
06-17-03, 08:22 PM
I would THINK any 4x card will do..........
alright.

The walmart WEBSITE has a Radeon 7000 AGP (32Mb) for $55 bucks, if my walmart has it, I could just grab that, try it, then return it tomorrow. No harm done... well, unless it fries the card. In which case, I'll feel bad, but at least I know that my board needs fixed. As of right now, im not sure I want to send it away, because I'll have to go a few weeks without a computer (estimating 4 days to ship, 10 days to replace, 4 days to ship back).

I hope my Walmart has an AGP card :(