PDA

View Full Version : Windows 7 Problem

Drolfrawd
06-02-09, 03:32 PM
I have installed windows 7 3 times on my laptop twice as an upgrade, which is the install i am presently using and once as a clean install.

Here is my problem , 7 is on an HP laptop 6735b, and works well most of the time , but the same problem keeps recurring over and over, the machine just hangs after using a vpn , and then when i restart it,, the operating hangs at the starting windows logo. the only way to resolve this, which works every time is to start the machine in safe mode and delete the wireless device from device manager and all the associated tunnelling adaptors and then restart normally. while this gets me going again , is there any solution to this, and is anyone having the same or similar issues.

I don't think it always happens with a vpn , sometimes i think it happens if i leave the machine just running and not doing anything. but the fix is always the same.

Thanks in advance.

Drolfrawd
06-02-09, 04:34 PM
Anyone?

Sazar
06-02-09, 05:20 PM
Are you using something like Dragnet?

And when you say hangs, are you saying the entire system is frozen and you cannot kill the process?

That is indeed weird.

Drolfrawd
06-02-09, 05:27 PM
thanks for replying sazar.

What happens is two fold, i might have have a problem when using a vpn, so i sort that out end the process, and all is fine until i restart, then it just stops a the "windows is starting" logo.

the other way it happens is, for example tonight , i was using the machine and left it lying, when i came back the screen was black. couldn't revive it. so had to push the kill switch.

Then on restarting , hung again, off to safe mode to resolve.

No dragnet, in fact , not sure what that is, if broadband i am in the uk and use a decent well known provider.

Sazar
06-02-09, 05:31 PM
I wonder if there is a conflict with the firewalls? Win 7 has like 4 or 5 firewall profiles that are all apparently on at the same time. See if fiddling around with them is helping out.

I am not sure if there is a dump that is leading to a file with info you can use to narrow the issue down?

Have you looked at the reliability reports? It should give you an information about what happened at the time of the issue and maybe will help you to post info or look online for a resolution.

Drolfrawd
06-02-09, 05:38 PM
I wonder if there is a conflict with the firewalls? Win 7 has like 4 or 5 firewall profiles that are all apparently on at the same time. See if fiddling around with them is helping out.

I am not sure if there is a dump that is leading to a file with info you can use to narrow the issue down?

Have you looked at the reliability reports? It should give you an information about what happened at the time of the issue and maybe will help you to post info or look online for a resolution.

Thanks . I'll check out your suggestions and come back.

Drolfrawd
06-02-09, 05:46 PM
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a86/dwarflord40/before.jpg

I have posted this to show my device manager is looking normal, but i will post the same snapshot the next time it hangs, it is very different.

Drolfrawd
06-02-09, 05:52 PM
The DHCP Client service depends on the Ancillary Function Driver for Winsock service which failed to start because of the following error:
A device attached to the system is not functioning.

this is the only event that makes any sense , but don't know what to do with it.

Slammin
06-02-09, 06:19 PM
I had a problem with Win7 on my desktop system that was upgraded from Vista64.

I would lose my ethernet adapter after awakening from sleep mode and also if I rebooted the system without a complete power down.

Installing the latest nForce system drivers fixed it.

Drolfrawd
06-02-09, 06:46 PM
thanks it does feel like a driver problem , but there are no newer drivers on the hp website for this notebook