PDA

View Full Version : What is your favoriate video card?

Pages : [1] 2

Geforce4ti4200
06-14-03, 09:51 PM
It doesnt have to be the fastest or the most expensive, but something you find special.

I find the ti200 special because that video card has it all. Direct X8, overclocks great, some even do ti500 speeds and its very, very fast too. I broke 10k marks on that and 101fps in quake3 at 1600x1200 everything maxed. That thing is very close to a stock ti4200 in performance. also she runs every game out just great as long as you have a fast cpu and dont use fsaa or 2048x1536 resolutions :) and best of all, she costs around half a C note or $50. The mx440 is also nice, alot like a ti200 but no directX 8 is a liability :(

jAkUp
06-14-03, 10:07 PM
well i dunno about my favorite... but i dont think the mx is a nice card at all... barley an upgrade over a geforce2...

yoladude
06-15-03, 01:13 AM
so far, my iMac voodoo2 board....i think they were made for less than a year by a now-defunct company, and use a special slot only made on 2 revisions of iMacs. i loved it.....three times faster than the built-in rage pro. ran quake III at a stunning 21 fps, UT demo at a stunning 30. the first time i played a game on that thing, my jaw dropped through the floor.
except now i have a heavily upgraded emachines, and my bro uses the iMac.....he doesn't play games on it though....his loss.

jAkUp
06-15-03, 01:22 AM
Originally posted by yoladude
so far, my iMac voodoo2 board....i think they were made for less than a year by a now-defunct company, and use a special slot only made on 2 revisions of iMacs. i loved it.....three times faster than the built-in rage pro. ran quake III at a stunning 21 fps, UT demo at a stunning 30. the first time i played a game on that thing, my jaw dropped through the floor.
except now i have a heavily upgraded emachines, and my bro uses the iMac.....he doesn't play games on it though....his loss.

well... i hope you replaced that 1 button mouse too..hehe

nVidi0t
06-15-03, 02:11 AM
STB Blackmagic Voodoo 2, because it was the first graphics board I got :)

jAkUp
06-15-03, 02:40 AM
im gonna go with the diamond monster 3d II 8mb video card... (it was a voodoo2 chipset also)

it really sparked my interest in advancements in computer graphics, and i saw my very first 3d accelerated game on it... quake2. let me tell you... my jaw hit the floor. it was amazing, i never expected anything like that. everything ran so smooth... the lighting was amazing... just. wow.

i have yet to see a game that impressed me as much as seeing quake2 with 3d acceleration for the first time. (the half life 2 movies came kinda close though;) )

gokickrocks
06-15-03, 02:41 AM
diamond viper v550

Sazar
06-15-03, 02:41 AM
the all in wonder 9700pro...

far and away the most amazing product I have EVER used :D

it just can do SOOO much without skiping a beat.. AND it acts as a flawless tv as well :D

besides that the remote wonder has to be one of the greatest gadgets ever :)

truly a work of art...

solofly
06-15-03, 02:43 AM
For me it's my Geforce2 GTS. It's the most I ever paid for a video card.

CaptNKILL
06-15-03, 03:03 AM
Hmmm... hard to choose...

I'd either go with my Voodoo 3 2000 PCI or my Geforce 2 GTS 32Mb.

The V3 was my first REAL 3d accelerator (I had an integrated TNT 8Mb in my Gateway at the time). That thing coupled with my P2 400Mhz and 64Mbs of PC-100.. *droool*... Quake II looked and ran amazing! Even Quake 3 ran on it. Sure, I had to turn the settings down a bit, but it still ran!

But the GTS was my baby :) . I bought it the day I got back from being in the hospital for a month(November 2000). Hehe, what an awesome card! Sure, I was impressed with the speed when I bought it, but what REALLY amazed me was how fast it was 2 years later! I had the thing running in an Athlon 750Mhz comp with 256Mbs PC-133.... that thing SCREAMED.... in Unreal 2K3!! YES, UNREAL 2K3. I sold that computer to a freind (for $300... with mouse, windows, monitor etc.) last November, and we had a small, 3 person LAN party at his house. My other freind said "lets play UT2K3".... I said "idunno if that computer can handle it". He installed it.... WOW!!!! He was playing UT2K3 at default settings (800x600 I think) and the game was running fine, and looked AWESOME! It might have dropped below 30fps during heavy fire fights, but I swear, that video card could probably play any game that is out now, NO PROBLEM.

I guess I have to lean toward the GTS. The Voodoo 3 was great, and it got me hooked on graphics cards, but the GTS was and STILL IS a great card.

nin_fragile14
06-15-03, 03:13 AM
The 9700 Pro because it runs games better than anything I've ever seen.

However, I'd have to nominate the original Riva TNT. It was the first 3d card I ever owned and got me into the computer scene.

yoladude
06-15-03, 03:44 AM
Originally posted by jAkUp
well... i hope you replaced that 1 button mouse too..hehe
replaced by a logitech wheel mouse.....god, the imac mouse was annoying!!!

plus, the voodoo2 card was the first card i've ever bought, so yea, that might contribute to my favoring it.

Uttar
06-15-03, 04:12 AM
Well, I obviously never had one, but what about Rampage?
Oh, that's disqualified? Really? Why? Oh, I see...

Well, the GF2 GTS will always hold a special space in my heart, because it's the first serious GPU I ever had ( before, I always thought more RAM = Better. Seriously. )

Uttar

MatiasZ[OC]
06-15-03, 07:47 AM
wow nice post, really hard to tell... i've gone all the way through V1 4MB, V2 12MB (tomb raider and q2 looked just AMAZING), TNT16 MB (coupled with the voodoo actually for a time, d3d, ogl plus glide support :D), S3 SAVAGE2000 32MB(it ran slower than the TNT, REALLY, so i took it back :D), DIAMOND VIPER TNT2 32MB, Prophet GF2 GTS 32 MB (wiiii the blue ones) and now my dear GF3... and from all i would have to say the gf3 is just the best graphic card i've owned...it has lasted me for about two years now, and still plays everything great... it o/c's , it's stable, and i spent lots of money on it haha... GF3 FOREVER...

by the way, yet i don't think everything is going to ever make me almost cry out of happiness as the first time i saw games like TUROK and QUAKE1 on the v1.... those were good times...
cya

heedory
06-15-03, 09:57 AM
reference FX 5900..
looks awesome..

AthlonXP1800
06-15-03, 10:35 AM
1995: Voodoo 1 4Mb PCI
1996: Voodoo Banshee 16Mb SGRAM PCI
2000: Voodoo 5 5500 64Mb AGP
2002: NV25 Geforce 4 Ti 4600 128Mb AGP
2003: NV35 Geforce FX 5900 Ultra 256Mb AGP *Will get it in July*
2005: NV55 512Mb or 1Gb PCI Express

My favourite card was Voodoo 5, it because of amazing FSAA and 32bit colour finally on Voodoo 5 at last so it sad to see no more games current support the card so I hopefully future detonator 5 driver will sort FSAA with gamma correct much better on NV35 than NV25, that what NV30 should did with previous drivers but it not turned out to be.

digitalwanderer
06-15-03, 10:50 AM
Me engineering sample 9700 Pro.

Even if it wasn't the coolest/best/fastest/most mindblowing viddy card I've ever used/seen, I'd still love it best just for the fact that Terry Makedon gave it to me since he upgraded the box in his test rig.

Just the history/story behind the card makes it me absolute fave! :D

Second would definately be me GF3 "littleZ" that I just shipped out to a friend last week. I got it second-hand and pre-modded off of Zarathustra and at 240/530 that sucker was as solid as a rock and an EXCELLENT gaming card! I used that one for a loooooong time and the only reason I gave it away was because I hated the thought of it not being used/appreciated. ;)

indio
06-15-03, 11:05 AM
Kyro 2 . I never had one but it sure performed good for a 175mhz clock. :p

EMunEeE
06-15-03, 03:44 PM
#1 - ATi Rage Fury Pro 32MB VIVO -- WOW!!!:eek: ...this card did everything. Had video in and video out. Great 2D quality...and very stable drivers (ironic isn't it). Not to mention it ran all my games with ease. I had this card on my old 533MHz Celeron system with 192MB PC66 SDRAM (:o )....I didn't break 1,000 in the 3D Mark 2001SE with that thing...lol....came stock at 118/118. I got it all the way up to 142/165...didn't make a big difference though.

#2 - ATi Radeon 9700 Pro -- probaly the best gaming card I have ever had...I haven't seen IQ like this since I played Solitaire in Windows 3.1....lol & Radeon 8500 for same reasons

#3 - nVIDIA GeForce 4 MX 420 -- These little things are killer overclockers. I got it with my Dell stock at 250MHz/366MHz DDR. I got the core all the way up to 330MHz and the memory all the way up to 500MHz. The core had passive cooling and the memory chips had no cooling whatsoever. I had one of the fast GeForce4 MX 420 around...sucked it couldn't do Direct X 8 though.

Worst Card -- Diamond Stealth s540 Xtreme - Savage4 GPU - the drivers were eXTTRREEMMMEELLLYY buggy on this card and worst it died six months into action. It played pretty fast and S3TC was amzing...but this card still sucked.

aapo
06-15-03, 05:14 PM
My favorite is Hercules Stingray 128/3D. It had the Voodoo Rush (Voodoo 1 class) chipset that was the first voodoo chipset that could run windowed applications. When I bought mine, I hadn't seen any accelerated 3d-graphics ever, just plain Doom and Quake. When I got my brand new card and fired the GLQuake patch, I was pretty amazed. :eek:

It had the first working TV-out I had ever seen and it had a connector for stereo glasses, too. It's a pity I did never find suitable stereo glasses... The card had also a very good durability, it has withstood a flashing short circuit in the motherboard and several extreme overheatings. I still have the card, but it's been without use for over two years now.

Geforce4ti4200
06-15-03, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by $E Mun$

#3 - nVIDIA GeForce 4 MX 420 -- These little things are killer overclockers. I got it with my Dell stock at 250MHz/366MHz DDR. I got the core all the way up to 330MHz and the memory all the way up to 500MHz. The core had passive cooling and the memory chips had no cooling whatsoever. I had one of the fast GeForce4 MX 420 around...sucked it couldn't do Direct X 8 though.

That card uses 64 bit ddr, its like an mx440se too. Nice core overclock, if you used a fan it may do even more, too bad the core overclock is a waste cause the ram is the bottleneck, not the core. on the 128 bit ddr, overclocking the core DOES help alot more than 64 bit memory. my mx440 did 330/550 and I couldnt believe how fast that thing was, it totally blows away a geforce2 ultra by a wide margin in everything

EMunEeE
06-15-03, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by Geforce4ti4200
That card uses 64 bit ddr, its like an mx440se too. Nice core overclock, if you used a fan it may do even more, too bad the core overclock is a waste cause the ram is the bottleneck, not the core. on the 128 bit ddr, overclocking the core DOES help alot more than 64 bit memory. my mx440 did 330/550 and I couldnt believe how fast that thing was, it totally blows away a geforce2 ultra by a wide margin in everything

I increased my score from 40XX to 5000+, this was on my GF4MX 420.

saturnotaku
06-15-03, 10:17 PM
In my entire video card history, my favorite card was probably my Visiontek GeForce3. Got mine a few months after they first hit the market. Performance and driver stability was lights out and it overclocked very well to boot. :)

Tied for second on that list would probably be my current 9800 Pro, followed by my Creative 3D Blaster Banshee PCI. The former represents the kind of performance/quality leap I got when upgrading from a GeForce2 to GeForce3. The latter represents my first real 3D accelerator. Ran Half-Life at 800x600 in OpenGL on that Banshee, which caused geekgasms of various degrees among my friends and me. ;)

SmuvMoney
06-15-03, 10:50 PM
#1: Gainward Geforce Ti 200 - In spite of its age, this gets #1 just for pure overclocking and gaming bliss. This card really got me into PC gaming - I still have it to this day as it is truly a work of art.

#2: Hercules 3D Prophet 9800 Pro - My present card, it just screams full speed ahead with everything I throw at it, even with high detail. The cool heat/ram sinks and blue light are just an added plus.

#3: Sapphire Radeon 9700 Pro - This card was the first time I was able to run AA/AF the way I wanted it - with no regrets. It is a shame I broke it trying to mod it in March (DOH).

pigfukerd
06-15-03, 11:37 PM
1. radeon 9500 none pro modded with wizards drivers:afro2:

2. voodoo 2

3. voodoo 3