PDA

View Full Version : serial ata


Pages : 1 [2]

Kruno
07-30-02, 07:10 AM
Bah! As soon as nano technology becomes involved then serial- ata will be out the door.

SavagePaladin
07-30-02, 07:25 AM
Originally posted by PsychoSy
Another thing about SATA, as I understand, is they can not be slaved. Period. Only one drive per channel. But that shouldn't be a problem as I'm sure mainboard manufactures will ship their boards with 4 seperate SATA ports. :D :p :cool:

Thats an efficiency issue. Most boards will keep serial ATA and IDE on the same board, I was told. Stuff like cdroms and dvdroms would get no real benefit.

At any rate, I don't know how it'll work out until it gets out

PCarr78
07-30-02, 07:40 AM
Sata is only for hard drives atm.

There is no reason to use potical drives on it.

Dual 7200rpm drives are loud. Think of DUAL 1000rpm drives!

JonathanM
07-30-02, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by PsychoSy
Another thing about SATA, as I understand, is they can not be slaved. Period. Only one drive per channel. But that shouldn't be a problem as I'm sure mainboard manufactures will ship their boards with 4 seperate SATA ports. :D :p :cool:

And it'll still take less PCB space than two separate IDE ports. :)

fastguy94416
07-30-02, 05:55 PM
I am all for switching all drive to serial ata. Cables are a huge problem for me

budd_wm
07-30-02, 11:57 PM
So this is where the serial ata thread is hiding....:D

VeritechK7
07-31-02, 03:29 AM
bah really only one drive per channel ? that's weak IMO ..but goody that they're packing four channels ( or so what I've heard so far) I think i'm better off w/ buying a new SCSI card or something

SavagePaladin
07-31-02, 06:14 AM
Originally posted by VeritechK7
bah really only one drive per channel ? that's weak IMO ..but goody that they're packing four channels ( or so what I've heard so far) I think i'm better off w/ buying a new SCSI card or something
serial SCSI is coming later.
Its a matter of efficiency...as much of the reworked spec is.

fastguy94416
08-01-02, 12:45 AM
What is the problem with one drive per channel? No master slave conflicts, no jumper settings ( i admit they are easy anyway) saved room on the pcb for other nifty features..... what is wrong with that?

VeritechK7
08-01-02, 01:44 AM
uh..only four hard drives total that's all ..I'm a stickler for multiple drives ..as stated in my specs .. SCSI in itself can hold 7 ...now later versions can do 15 ...if so desired

SavagePaladin
08-01-02, 03:20 AM
I'm sure on a serial interface that would depend entirely on the controller, but I don't know.

VeritechK7
08-01-02, 03:22 AM
hmmm true

fastguy94416
08-01-02, 09:11 AM
Originally posted by VeritechK7
uh..only four hard drives total that's all ..I'm a stickler for multiple drives ..as stated in my specs .. SCSI in itself can hold 7 ...now later versions can do 15 ...if so desired

I am sure that 4 serial ata-ports will be standard, just as 2 ide ports are. Many mobo makers will most likeyly add 4 more, like they add 2 more ide ports for a raid controller. I am not worried about it.

SavagePaladin
08-01-02, 10:33 AM
With hypertransport, you could add as many controllers as you want anyway :p It'd be hard to clog that bus without pure stupidity.