PDA

View Full Version : Screen going blank at random

Pages : [1] 2

psychokilla
06-08-09, 09:51 PM
After using Windows 7 my monitor goes black at random intervals, I have 2 8800GTs in SLI, as far as I can tell the screen does this whether SLI is enabled or not.

This behaviour happens whether I have 185.85 or 186.08 drivers in.

Anyone else getting the same sorta behaviour?

lduguay
06-09-09, 07:53 AM
Same here with Vista 64 and 185.85

AdamK47
06-09-09, 09:54 AM
I've seen the same thing happen to me. I have a 37" Samsung LCD with a native resolution of 1920x1080. The video cards are two GTX 280s in SLI. With the 185.85 and 186.08 drivers the screen blanks out. It's like the backlight simply decides to turn itself off. The sound still plays through the speakers in the display. If I turn the monitor off and back on the display comes back. I thought it was the monitor that was doing it at first, but now I'm not so sure.

ragingWS6
06-10-09, 08:43 AM
I have 2 GTX 260s and this only happens when I have both monitors enabled on the 1st monitor when going into a game every once in a while. Now, if I ALT+TAB out of a game and try to go back it, the game screen can go blank and take 50% of the CPU. I can always recover from it, so it might not be the same problem you have.

AdamK47
06-10-09, 09:59 AM
My problem seems to be that the monitor keeps going into standby for some unknown reason. If I turn the monitor off and back on the display works again. I did an experiment last night with the 182.50 and 185.85 drivers. I ran the 3DMark06 demo and let it loop for 6 hours with the 185.85 drivers. When I came back the monitor was in standby and the only way to get it out was to turn it off and back on. I installed the 182.50 drivers and ran the same test as I slept. 7 hours later and the monitor was still on. It's got to be something in these newer drivers.

lduguay
06-11-09, 07:51 AM
I get random but brief full screen artifacts while on the desktop. My monitor also turns black ramdomly but recovers within one second. It looks like the TMDS stream is corrupted once in a while. I use dual link DVI on my Samsung 305T.
AdamK47, like you suggested, it looks like a driver issue, because it never occured before going to 185.85.

ikjadoon
06-13-09, 12:05 AM
Are you guys sure it isn't nvlddmkm.dll errors? Check Event Viewer...

If I overclock to high and play a game, my screen goes black momentarily while it errors, then goes back to normal. I had no idea either until I checked Event Viewer.

~Ibrahim~

AdamK47
06-13-09, 07:28 PM
No nvlddmkm.dll error. I haven't had one of those in a loooonnnng time. With this problem my monitor simply goes black. I have to turn it off and turn it back on.

lduguay
06-14-09, 02:04 PM
Are you guys sure it isn't nvlddmkm.dll errors? Check Event Viewer...

If I overclock to high and play a game, my screen goes black momentarily while it errors, then goes back to normal. I had no idea either until I checked Event Viewer.

~Ibrahim~

Nope, no nvldoomed.dll errors. Nothing of interest in the Event Viewer.

ikjadoon
06-14-09, 02:11 PM
Weird...that was kind of my only idea, lol.

I have a similar problem with my TV, where it blacks out during "extreme stress" (like an explosion or loud noise during a movie), but I don't think they're related...

It could be Windows, nVidia, or even the monitor. You guys tried different driver revisions?

~Ibrahim~

AdamK47
06-14-09, 03:59 PM
I did a bunch of stuff yesterday. My Samsung 37" is a 1080P television/monitor. Even though the display supports HDMI I have it connected to a new DVI to VGA connector (the "official" PC connection for this display) and it looks great. I removed the two GTX 280s from my system to give them a good cleaning and then put them back in the system in reverse order (top to bottom and bottom to top). I'm also using a much thicker guage power cable for the display and have it plugged into another outlet. After 8 hours of use the display hasn't blanked out yet. This is without changing the drivers.

Edit: It dropped out again. I switched back to HDMI. I think it's gotta be the drivers. Never had this problem with pre 185.xx drivers. Oh well.

lduguay
06-15-09, 08:16 AM
Pre 185.xx drivers works well for me. There is something in this driver that seems to corrupt the TMDS clocking.

I remember that with the 72.xx series i had to reduce the refresh rate slightly to 59hz instead of 60hz to permanently solve the problem, because the TDMS clock was going over the 161Mhz VESA specification and my monitor could not handle it.

However, with the current driver, i cannot alter the refresh rate..

AdamK47
06-19-09, 10:56 AM
Fixed the problem. Received a replacement TV/Monitor.

lduguay
06-22-09, 12:14 PM
Fixed the problem. Received a replacement TV/Monitor.

(nana2)

Edit: 186.18 still produce random blanking for me.

Gargi
06-29-09, 11:49 AM
I also have a similar problem. But it almost is while starting up and getting into the Login Screen. There sometimes the monitor becomes black for a second and got a resolution of 640x480 and switches back to 1280x1024. I have no idea what is wrong there.

cu
Gargi

ikjadoon
06-29-09, 01:08 PM
Could it be TMM (http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/115320-transient-multimon-manager-tmm.html?filter[11]=Performance%20Maintenance)? Try disabling it and restarting.

~Ibrahim~

Gargi
06-29-09, 03:29 PM
Thanks for that hint. I have disabled it now and hopefully that did the trick. I also connected my DVI cable to the other DVI port on my card (you never know :) )

cu
Gargi

ikjadoon
06-29-09, 03:36 PM
lol, yeah, I'd try everything. Good luck! :)

~Ibrahim~

Gargi
06-30-09, 03:42 PM
Same problem this evening with disabled TMM. Maybe it has something to do with the 186 driver series and my 8800GT. I reinstalled an older image without service pack 2 (vista) and 185,x drivers. I guess it is a driver issue.

cu
Gargi

ikjadoon
06-30-09, 08:56 PM
Same problem this evening with disabled TMM. Maybe it has something to do with the 186 driver series and my 8800GT. I reinstalled an older image without service pack 2 (vista) and 185,x drivers. I guess it is a driver issue.

cu
Gargi

Did that work? The older drivers?

~Ibrahim~

Gargi
07-01-09, 05:47 AM
I don't know. This error does not occour on every reboot. But the last two days it was every morning. This morning not (now using Vista Sp1 and a 185.x driver).

I also noticed one thing: When the login screen is shown normally the cursor indicates, that there are no further activities (no moving circle at the curser). With Vista SP2 and the 186 drivers the login screen is shown and there is a moving circle for some seconds. I guess that there is something in the backround still working. When the blank screen happens it is always while there is something in the backround.

Ain't there some new features in the 186.x drivers like the 3D vision? Maybe something like that causes such that strange behavior.

I also installed Win7 RC yesterday. There I also installed the 186 drivers. I will see if that also happens on win7.

cu
Gargi

ikjadoon
07-02-09, 07:28 PM
These are from the release notes of 186.08, which were released right after the 185s. These are the only known changes:

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a286/ikjadoon/nvidiareleasenotes.gif

Nothing looks like it is related to your problem, but they may have done something silently. :(

~Ibrahim~

Bigbuck
07-12-09, 07:50 PM
I'm having the same problem with my monitor going black randomly. I have a thread about it here (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=133154).

denied!
07-18-09, 03:30 PM
Hi.
I have the same or similar problem.
I have a EVGA 8800 GTS 512 and my screen goes also blank / black from time to time, randomly.

I've searched the web and found similar issues, that exists for a while.. and not even on Vista/Win7.

For example: http://www.gamespot.com/pages/forums/show_msgs.php?topic_id=25611998
he went then here and tried to search for a solution. But i couldn't find his thread.
another one: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/page-254296_15_0.html

But none of them had have any main-solution (for all), with a step-by-step guide or the cause, so far.

I uninstalled all nVidia drivers and just used the standard Vista (64) VGA drivers and the blanks didn't occur. I did this because i wanted to go back and seek for the nvidia-drivers version, which didn't had that problem. (but no luck with that :( )

The next "funny" thing is:
(and i wish that you could check that out on your systems)
1. Using the Vista "Sleep" / Save Energy mode and shutting my pc down with this option and 2. then rebooting = waking him up (i don't shut him down completly - no poweroff by the powerswitch)
3. the solution is, when doing this: NO blanks, no black screens, just as smooth as it was before.. *theidontknowreason*

weird, isn't it? :confused:

So is this a driver / power problem?
BTW i dont think it is my PSU or a heat problem.
Future plan: I'm going to install my card into another system and try if those blanks / black screens still happen.

*g* denied!

seeker
07-18-09, 08:24 PM
I have a hunch that this is a driver problem, because I have much the same problem on W7 & WS2K8, but mine aren't really random. I get a very short black screen on login, and an indefinite dark screen when attempting to play most games. I said "dark" screen, because it only goes to black for a few seconds, and then to a very dark purple and remains until I do a forced reboot on W7, because I can't exit the dark screen. Sometimes sound continues and sometimes not.

I'm also having problems getting the Nvidia drivers to install. I finally got it to go on W7, but on WS2K8 I haven't had any luck. I also have a 8800GTS, but only one installed, so I don't think that SLI is a factor.

I sincerely hope that this gets cleared up soon, because it is the primary reason that I still consider those OSs secondary to my XP x64.