PDA

View Full Version : My 360 just red ringed :(

Pages : [1] 2 3

sammy sung
06-12-09, 08:26 PM
Just switched it on,started a forza 2 race and while braking for the first corner the image froze and the controller started vibrating as hell and kept on doing it.I then shut the 360 down and when starting it it rrod on me :headexplode: I've used it moderatly over the past 2 years,it's always been well ventilated etc..I'm hoping ms will exchange it for me eventhough i can't remember the procedure or for how long the exchange period lasts.If you guys know feel free to post,i'm also wondering if the newer 360's are less prone to do this?.Still have the receipt but it's severly faded and i'm not even sure i can make out what it says anymore.I'm not getting into the various fixes available,if its still under warranty from ms that would be kinda dumb.

sammy sung
06-12-09, 08:51 PM
This is weird,after shutting it down for a few minutes it starts normally again.I can start a game but it will lock eventually in the menu's or ingame.Now it isnt showing the rrod anymore.The controllers back and start buttons have been iffy for a while ,they're sticking and get very hard to push,dunno if the red rings can indicate problems with the controller aswell.

Noriega
06-12-09, 08:57 PM
Should I end life of ths piece of crap?
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2008/06/27/article-1029738-01C297E200000578-96_468x497.jpg

sammy sung
06-12-09, 09:02 PM
Should I end life of ths piece of crap?

How helpful Noriega,thanks :thumbsup: :p

Misfire
06-12-09, 09:36 PM
yeah the new CPU's they put in after repair are much less prone to failure.

AthlonXP1800
06-12-09, 10:34 PM
If your Xbox 360 are out of warranty then just throw the motherboard into oven and heat up for 10 mins and RROD will be cured. :D

Lfctony
06-12-09, 11:16 PM
This is weird,after shutting it down for a few minutes it starts normally again.I can start a game but it will lock eventually in the menu's or ingame.Now it isnt showing the rrod anymore.The controllers back and start buttons have been iffy for a while ,they're sticking and get very hard to push,dunno if the red rings can indicate problems with the controller aswell.

If it does it once, it will happen again and again, more frequently until it dies unfortunately... Mine did it once a week after some random RROD and then died completely one day. It also worked ok after I let it sit for a while.

Here's a suggestion that I found useful to extend my 360's life: After ending a gaming session, don't turn off the console immediately. The chips are extremely hot after gaming and most people just turn it off. All that heat stays in the box while the fans turn off. Leaving the box on for about 20 minutes after gaming cools down the console substantially because the power saving kicks in while the fans still work full bore...

nekrosoft13
06-12-09, 11:38 PM
and the great RROD_BoX track record continues

sammy sung
06-13-09, 03:32 AM
and the great RROD_BoX track record continues

Idd and the very annoying fact is that since it no longer shows the red rings it's now out of warranty,still doesn't work properly but ms only covers the E74 error code and the RROD for 3 years.Other errors are not covered since its manufacture date is october 2006.In other words it has to start RROD again for ms to exchange it :thumbdwn:

sammy sung
06-13-09, 03:57 AM
water-cooling fixed mine

Yea darth but how many have the means and know how to do the same ? It shouldn't be neccessary,microsoft should have provided enough cooling to start with.

sammy sung
06-13-09, 04:00 AM
If it does it once, it will happen again and again, more frequently until it dies unfortunately... Mine did it once a week after some random RROD and then died completely one day. It also worked ok after I let it sit for a while.

It froze again this morning,read some things to try at ms support page but even without the hard drive mounted it freezes,now like one minute after starting a game.Leaving it on now so it hopefully brakes down permanently :p

sammy sung
06-13-09, 10:53 AM
I did not say it SHOULD be that way I am saying it IS that way. The stock cooling solution sucks. What I am telling you is you can probably fix it if you cannot get warranty service. with some ingenuity you can make a good air cooler that will work with it.

Maybe but as i understand it it's too late when it has redringed and the damage is already done right ? The better cooling is more of a prevention than a fix for an already RROD box.

It looks like MS is picking up the tab for it anyway though,it redringed again today and i'll get UPS to pick it up after my holiday is over.

NarcissistZero
06-13-09, 01:49 PM
My Elite was manufactured in '06... it will surely fail eventually, and I'm coming up on 3 years if not just passed it.

I wonder if my original launch console is still working for the guy I sold it to on ebay...

ViN86
06-13-09, 04:42 PM
Welcome to the club. My 360 red ring'ed last summer. Still have 2 years coverage on my current one.

Want some good advice? Buy a PS3...

S.I.N
06-13-09, 05:37 PM
Three things you can be assured of in life if you are a 360 owner.....taxes, death and RROD.

XDanger
06-13-09, 06:10 PM
Three things you can be assured of in life if you are a 360 owner.....taxes, death and RROD.

I think I'm safe since I never use it.

sammy sung
06-13-09, 08:03 PM
Welcome to the club. My 360 red ring'ed last summer. Still have 2 years coverage on my current one.

Want some good advice? Buy a PS3...

I have one but i only play ps3 exclusives that interest me,i'm not a fan of the ps3 controller.If the game is available on both formats i get th
e 360 version instead 9 times out of 10.

NarcissistZero
06-13-09, 08:56 PM
I get the 360 versions as well because 9 times out of 10 they look a little better...

I actually preffer the PS3 pad though, for everything but FPS.

crainger
06-13-09, 09:15 PM
I find the PS3 pad the best for FPS as it's smooth with a good deadzone. 360 games usually have better mappings, but you can change that for PS3 MOST of the time.

I tend to go for the PS3 version of a game while the Aussie dollar is strong as i can import cheap. Otherwise it depends on the game. I check comparisions. If PS3 is better or a little worse looking I go PS3 as I like the systems better, if it's better on 360 I get 360. PSN is cheaper here, faster and easier to navigate. On the other hand I get free Gold and downloads don't count towards my quota with Live. Either way I can't lose.

NarcissistZero
06-13-09, 11:59 PM
Oh yeah, and anything that needs a d-pad is PS3 automatically without hesitation.

Bman212121
06-14-09, 12:08 AM
I did not say it SHOULD be that way I am saying it IS that way. The stock cooling solution sucks. What I am telling you is you can probably fix it if you cannot get warranty service. with some ingenuity you can make a good air cooler that will work with it.

Yea darth but how many have the means and know how to do the same ? It shouldn't be neccessary,microsoft should have provided enough cooling to start with.

Heh, what DB said. The thing that really just blows my mind is they still use the BGA to mount the processors. If they would have switched to a socket with any of the upgraded models the whole issue would probably be resolved already.

They did make some changes to the cooler by adding an extra section to a heatpipe, but it's a pretty silly change as there is no real airflow over that area. They could also use a lot better ducting and it might help resolve the issue as well.

sammy sung
07-13-09, 09:40 PM
Well,ms came through and i got the replacement 360 today delivered by UPS without any cost whatsoever out of my own pocket,seems like it's less noisy and the guy at their support said it had updated cooling.

But it's a refurbished unit,not a brand new one.Are these less likely to red-ring ? It also looks like i got my warranty extended,mine had expired but was within 3 years so it was covered by their rrod warranty.The new console is listed as under warranty and they re-registered it for me and updated my live info with the new serialnumber.The also gave me a free live month so i'm pleased by how they handled this :thumbsup:

Retrolock
07-14-09, 01:39 AM
Prolly will fail again coz its a refurbished unit... Those nightmares about dudes returning their 360's 5 times aren't fiction you know..

Bman212121
07-20-09, 03:53 PM
Well,ms came through and i got the replacement 360 today delivered by UPS without any cost whatsoever out of my own pocket,seems like it's less noisy and the guy at their support said it had updated cooling.

But it's a refurbished unit,not a brand new one.Are these less likely to red-ring ? It also looks like i got my warranty extended,mine had expired but was within 3 years so it was covered by their rrod warranty.The new console is listed as under warranty and they re-registered it for me and updated my live info with the new serialnumber.The also gave me a free live month so i'm pleased by how they handled this :thumbsup:

Nope. The updated cooling doesn't really make sense IMO. Basically they took a heatpipe and extended out another little set of fins to dissapate the heat. The problem is it's just a passive cooler since there won't be any airflow on it. I could be another update from what my friends was, but he had one of the updated cooling solutions on his that RROD.

crainger
07-21-09, 06:57 AM
Anyone here try the Lian Li 360 case? Better airflow? My 360 is outside all warranties now.