PDA

View Full Version : Screen flashes a lot

BSD
06-13-09, 11:52 AM
There is a driver problem with the latest (I haven't tried any others) nvidia drivers. When the computer boots up or when I right click on the nvidia control icon (or do a number of different buttons throughout nvidia menus) the screen (CRT 22" high end) blinks several times and sounds like it is cycling through refresh rates or something. This automation is disgusting - it is bad enough being forced to using windows for something. I'm guessing it messed up the EDID or something. How do I turn this crap off (or fix this blinking/flickering problem)?

P.S. After that problem, there seems to be a separate one when I'm using all three screens and both gfx cards the frame rates severely decrease in easy to run games (like quakelive) - even when the two others are not performing any tasks. Once the game takes over the gfx settings (drivers are obviously messing up the dpi and stuff when I set the correct resolution) and I'm only using one screen (other two disabled) the game runs as it should.

XDanger
06-13-09, 04:56 PM
what monitor, graphics card, multi display config, OS?

Are you using Safari for quakelive?

BSD
06-13-09, 08:21 PM
No quakelive in firefox - and it works great fullscreen because it switches from whatever crap nvidia set.

winxp pro - any number of high end crts (1600x1200@100hz ->down to 85hz - 7900GTs (think the same things happen when one is disabled etc)
This is mostly irrelevant; the problem is entirely the automation of nvidia messing with EDID parameters.

BSD
06-13-09, 11:36 PM
http://forums.nvidia.com/lofiversion/index.php?t17179-100.html

This old thread describes similar things - but I'm not going to read the whole thing and the problems do not seem consistent throughout it. I don't see how this constant detection (and initially incorrect) crap can't be turned off.

XDanger
06-14-09, 08:08 PM
I have 2 high end crts (and one crap one),I thought I might be able to re-create your problem if I knew more of your config,

Also I believe Safari would run quakelive better than FF

BSD
06-14-09, 11:47 PM
I have 2 high end crts (and one crap one),I thought I might be able to re-create your problem if I knew more of your config,

Also I believe Safari would run quakelive better than FF

What other info would you like? I don't think QL runs on safari. I have two 7900GT Evga's and a gigabyte dual opteron board - but this is surely graphics/driver problem. It feels like the drivers are hurting my monitor(s) because each time I hear it reset a bunch of times the screen is at the same resolution/refresh/etc but the position is slightly off/moved/stop messing with my crap!

BSD
06-21-09, 11:48 PM
Okay - took second graphics card out and not it only flashes once (instead of several times) per right click on the nvidia tray icon (and its submenus).