PDA

View Full Version : how quickly will these pc value depreciate

Dreamweavernoob
06-15-09, 08:02 AM
Or, be out modded in terms of speed.

Friend wants to build one and has less cash than everyone else so he is concerned how quickly it will be outdated (he wants it to be usable for at least a year).

He recognises the graphics card needs to be updated slightly and has factored this into the costs.

Specs:

Core I7 920
6Gb ram 3x2gb 1600mhz
64gb SSD 200mb/sec
2x1tb hdd (one for storage, one for games and apps, SSD for boot)
Asus Gene motherboard (he wants pc to be light for LAN).
Corsair 850W TX

graphics card: 4890 1gb 1ghz clock

P.s would a 9600GT OC seriously limit this pc? I have no use for it now (I have purchased a GTX 285 very cheap) and would toss it to the man if he brought himself one.

Is it worth him paying 60 for 9600GT SLI over 150 for the 4890 1gb 1ghz model?

FastRedPonyCar
06-15-09, 08:08 AM
The I7's will be fast for a very long time. I'm planning on keeping mine for at least 2 years as it's more than enough for everything I do.

Tests have shown as far as gaming performance goes, that it's not until you do a Tri GTX295 setup do you really actually start to see the performance gains of the I7's vs the quad core extreme 775.

Until another CPU comes around that can offer the performance gains that the 920 gave me over my E8400, I'm sticking with the I7.

Dreamweavernoob
06-15-09, 08:19 AM
The I7's will be fast for a very long time. I'm planning on keeping mine for at least 2 years as it's more than enough for everything I do.

Tests have shown as far as gaming performance goes, that it's not until you do a Tri GTX295 setup do you really actually start to see the performance gains of the I7's vs the quad core extreme 775.

Until another CPU comes around that can offer the performance gains that the 920 gave me over my E8400, I'm sticking with the I7.

He has a choice to build a 45nm setup with a Q9550, but when I have priced it up with some discount codes, its nearly the same price to build it as an I7 so I think its worth going I7.

Is there something that is going to thrash the I7 in the next 6-12 months?

FastRedPonyCar
06-15-09, 08:21 AM
The overclocked base model I7's are faster than the quad core EE 775 cpus... it's a no brainer.

Uberpwnage
06-15-09, 10:21 AM
Is there something that is going to thrash the I7 in the next 6-12 months?

Nothing will "trash" and the current i7s in that timeframe given what we know today. The 32nm 6-core refresh of i7, codenamed "Gulftown", scheduled for a late Q4 or Q1 2010 release, will come out on top in multithreaded apps, but it is unlikely there will be any practical benefits over the quad core variants. Also, the initial 6-core model is rumored to be extreme edition only, carrying the usual $1000+ price tag. Intel isn't revising the entire architecture, they're simply adding 2 cores after a die shrink for the ultra high end segment.

Feature wise, i7s today and Gulftown should be essentially identical. Unless AMD comes out with some miracle chip, I don't think you have to worry about an overclocked 920 being overtaken by anything in the sub-$1000 price range. Intel may refresh the entire i7 line to be 32nm, but again, feature wise, they should be the same. The difference would be comparable to what the 65nm Conroe/Kentsfield to 45nm Wolfdale/Yorkfield transition was for the Core 2 line.

Bman212121
06-15-09, 11:14 AM
P.s would a 9600GT OC seriously limit this pc? I have no use for it now (I have purchased a GTX 285 very cheap) and would toss it to the man if he brought himself one.

Is it worth him paying 60 for 9600GT SLI over 150 for the 4890 1gb 1ghz model?

A 9600GT is an okay midrange card, but it's not even in the same league as the 4890. Two of them in SLI won't even be as fast as 1 4890.

Thunderbolt56
06-16-09, 07:19 AM
An i7 920 with good supporting components will be a fantastic performing machine for well over a year. If you look at maybe a VC upgrade path in 6-8 months and the headroom from overclocking the CPU, your friend's hardware investment should have comparatively excellent return. No worries.

CaptNKILL
06-16-09, 12:26 PM
Looks great except for the SSD drive.

The only SSD drives on the market that are worth buying are the OCZ Vertex and the Intel X25. Almost every other SSD (under $600) is pretty much broken and would be a complete waste of money.

So, unless he's spending $750 for a 64Gb Intel X25-E SSD, he should look into other drives in the OCZ Vertex or Intel X25-M lines.

Again, don't buy any others. They're broken.

FastRedPonyCar
06-16-09, 12:30 PM
SSD is still too expensive IMO.

Get a velociraptor and enjoy that for at least another year.

XDanger
06-16-09, 01:24 PM
SSD is still too expensive IMO.
Get a velociraptor and enjoy that for at least another year.
+1

Going ultra high end graphics is a waste of money. (sofahide)

By the time you need that card to run a game well there's something out that will do it for a third of the original price.

150 is the mark I like to stick to for graphics cards.

FastRedPonyCar
06-16-09, 01:40 PM
whatever graphics card he uses will have to be updated at least once a year.

Going ultra high end graphics is a waste of money. (sofahide)

By the time you need that card to run a game well there's something out that will do it for a third of the original price.

see, I've got the opposite school of thought. I'll wait until there's a card that can double the performance of what I've got and then buy it. It's usually the high end model (I.E. the 8800 ultra I've got now) and it will last around 2 years or more.

XDanger
06-16-09, 04:10 PM
see, I've got the opposite school of thought. I'll wait until there's a card that can double the performance of what I've got and then buy it. It's usually the high end model (I.E. the 8800 ultra I've got now) and it will last around 2 years or more.

Yeah, My choice is more based on what I can afford I guess, Then I rationalize to stop myself getting depressed that I cant afford an Ultra...

Whatever keeps me off that bridge I guess :)