PDA

View Full Version : Unclickable section of screen on 30" display

Pages : [1] 2

tomb18
06-16-09, 03:38 PM
Both myself and a friend have 30"displays. I have had both a 8800GTX and now a 280GTX while he has a 9800GT. Both of us run different nvidia drivers but the problem I am about to describe has existed for me for a long time. His problem started with his new build of his system. In both cases we are running Vista 64.

The problem is that both of us have a section of the screen where no amount of mouse clicking will select anything. For example if you have a web browser and there is a scroll bar near the bottom and middle of the display, if you try to move it nothing happens. If you bring the whole window up a bit then it works. This is always the case on our systems. Sometimes however, this also applies to the upper left corrner of the display as well. You can't for example select File ... something since clicking on File in a menu does nothing. Likewise for trying to click on an icon in the complete upper left corner.

Anybody else see this? This seems to only occur at 2560x1600 resolution (native 30"display res). What is your guess? Vista 64? Nvidia drivers? of the hardware?

Thanks

CainSyris
06-18-09, 09:00 AM
I had a Dell 3007FP. 2560x1600. I never had the problem you described and I was running a GF8800 Ultra.

I think you've got a hardware problem that is not connected to your video card or monitor (I don't see how a monitor could cause an unclickable part of the screen).

Might want to stick to buying storebought PC's if you're having problems building one. Building PC's not for everyone...

tomb18
06-19-09, 10:16 PM
I had a Dell 3007FP. 2560x1600. I never had the problem you described and I was running a GF8800 Ultra.

I think you've got a hardware problem that is not connected to your video card or monitor (I don't see how a monitor could cause an unclickable part of the screen).

Might want to stick to buying storebought PC's if you're having problems building one. Building PC's not for everyone...

That's what I love about this forum. So many idiots I feel like I'm conversing with Microsoft.

dagreat8
02-17-10, 04:25 PM
I have a dell 30" with nvidia 8800 gtx...same exact problem. It is driving me nuts. There is about a business card size space on the monitor that is unclickable. I have two similar builds, same problem on both. I even used a brand new 30" monitor, problem still there...here's the kicker though, the section seems to move from time to time. Some days its there, some days its not, some days its in a different location. It drives me frickin crazy. Please tell me you were able to find a solution.

onmikesline
02-17-10, 06:33 PM
i have the dell 30". works perfect, best lcd ever, you guys just need to click harder thats all

dagreat8
02-18-10, 12:06 AM
i have the dell 30". works perfect, best lcd ever, you guys just need to click harder thats all

Thanks for the input, unfortunately the sarcasm didn't help my situation.

I love both my Dell 30" monitors...I don't think the monitor is the issue...there is something else at fault here...can't figure out what the hell it is.

What graphics card are you running? Also which version of Windows?

Last question, do you use your monitor in a way where you would know if there was a "dead" area? I do graphic design so I basically click on every pixel of my monitor at some point...however if you mostly watch movies, browse web or play games the problem may not be noticeable at all. Its like finding a gopher hole in a football field...you don't know its there till you twist your ankle.

CaptNKILL
02-18-10, 01:18 AM
Does the area also exist if you start windows in safe mode?

If it works fine there, then its something that's starting up with windows. Possibly a gadget or sidebar item that is broken and is on top of your windows for some reason.

Another possibility is that the input (mouse) drivers have some sort of issue with the resolution you're running at. I've never EVER heard of a mouse driver having a problem like this, but I've also never heard of the problem you're describing, so anything is worth a shot.

Try uninstalling any mouse, tablet or touch pad drivers.

If it doesn't work even in safe mode and with all input drivers uninstalled, then you should contact Microsoft. There's clearly something screwy going on with windows if parts of the interface aren't functioning.

dagreat8
02-18-10, 02:26 PM
Thanks for the input...I haven't tried safe mode...I will try that, maybe it is something with sidebar.

As for the mouse...I am using a bluetooth laser mouse and switched to an optical wired mouse to see if anything changes...same thing...do both mice use the same drivers?

onmikesline
02-18-10, 04:16 PM
are you on vista?

dagreat8
02-18-10, 04:17 PM
Yes...64bit

onmikesline
02-18-10, 04:49 PM
Yes...64bit

you might want to try windows 7 64bit. vista was really a beta to windows 7, give that a try. i boot a copy before i went and paid for a real oem key so i can make sure everything works fine, and guess what, windows 7 is like the new xp, kinda.. a winner

gstanford
02-21-10, 09:57 PM
You are most likely using a single-link DVI cable to the monitor (or running the monitor from a HDMI cable which is only single-link).

Try using the dual-link DVi cable that should have been supplied with your monitor.

grey_1
02-22-10, 12:21 PM
You are most likely using a single-link DVI cable to the monitor (or running the monitor from a HDMI cable which is only single-link).

Try using the dual-link DVi cable that should have been supplied with your monitor.

Wouldn't that only affect bandwidth? single link should still provide plenty for desktop work....just a thought...

gstanford
02-23-10, 10:06 PM
No, on my Samsung 305T you can't go above 1280x800 if you don't use the dual-link DVI cable (or if you use a video card that doesn't have a dual-link capable DVI port).

grey_1
02-24-10, 03:33 AM
Ah, I didn't know that - thanks.

FlakMagnet
02-24-10, 07:25 AM
I honestly don't see how that could possibly affect which areas of the U.I. you can click on and which you can't. :screwy:

gstanford
02-24-10, 09:06 AM
Well, if you have a better explanation for the OP's troubles, please enlighten us.

FlakMagnet
02-24-10, 10:52 AM
I don't have an alternate suggestion, but I don't see how a cable that connects a graphics card to a monitor can make mouse clicks 'disappear' on certain areas of the screen. The OP was not saying that parts of the screen were not visible either, so he is seeing the whole desktop (meaning the cable is fine?).

I can even unplug my monitor from my PC altogether and my mouse clicks are still registered by Windows (just tried it).

Could you explain how you think it might cause the issue? Maybe I'm missing something... but willing for discover something new :)

D3V1N
02-25-10, 09:24 AM
i have a 30 apple display here and all is working fine at 2560x1600
i clicked all over the dam place, even in the places were you have described
260gtx
vista ultimate 64
i7 920
6 GB
191.07 nvidia driver

gstanford
02-26-10, 01:38 AM
I don't have an alternate suggestion, but I don't see how a cable that connects a graphics card to a monitor can make mouse clicks 'disappear' on certain areas of the screen. The OP was not saying that parts of the screen were not visible either, so he is seeing the whole desktop (meaning the cable is fine?).

I can even unplug my monitor from my PC altogether and my mouse clicks are still registered by Windows (just tried it).

Could you explain how you think it might cause the issue? Maybe I'm missing something... but willing for discover something new :)

Have you never alt-tabbed out of a fullscreen 3d application (usually a game) running at a different (higher) resolution to your desktop and found your mouse pointer confined to only the area of the screen the game would have covered?

FlakMagnet
03-15-10, 09:26 AM
Have you never alt-tabbed out of a fullscreen 3d application (usually a game) running at a different (higher) resolution to your desktop and found your mouse pointer confined to only the area of the screen the game would have covered?

Yes I have had that problem, but that is nothing to do with the type of cable I'm using to connect my monitor to my graphics card ;)

onmikesline
03-15-10, 04:30 PM
maybe its his videocard dont like that max res, quick question, can you highlight all of the screen?

ratchet26
06-02-10, 01:28 PM
I have the Dell 30 inch 3007WFP-HC using Vista 64 as well and have experienced this problem. I have two 8800 GTX's in SLI. It's not the DVI cable. This strange black-hole-like area on the screen has hounded me forever but seemed to disappear for a while. I decided to investigate this thing and found very little in search results. I found this thread and could see that folks have no idea what's being described. So, with Paint I mapped out exactly where this dead zone is. I cannot click and paint inside the box. If I do, it will de-select the current window. You can see it in this screenshot here:

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_Sd-OJfBQyyM/TAacRMKBT-I/AAAAAAAAAFM/UuYPaWHzvUs/s288/Unclickable%20area%20mapped.jpg (http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/8HTQ5G2gOTVdW6p0RbTMNA?feat=directlink)

I am using the larger DPI setting of 120, and suspected this might affect it. I changed it to 100 and rebooted. At 100 DPI, the dead zone is gone. I booted into Windows 7 on the same machine. It also has the larger DPI setting but there is no dead zone. I rebooted back to Vista 64 and reset the DPI to 120. After this, the dead zone is fixed.

I don't know why, but toggling the DPI and doing the required reboots repaired the unclickable area on my display.

onmikesline
06-02-10, 07:10 PM
I have the Dell 30 inch 3007WFP-HC using Vista 64 as well and have experienced this problem. I have two 8800 GTX's in SLI. It's not the DVI cable. This strange black-hole-like area on the screen has hounded me forever but seemed to disappear for a while. I decided to investigate this thing and found very little in search results. I found this thread and could see that folks have no idea what's being described. So, with Paint I mapped out exactly where this dead zone is. I cannot click and paint inside the box. If I do, it will de-select the current window. You can see it in this screenshot here:

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_Sd-OJfBQyyM/TAacRMKBT-I/AAAAAAAAAFM/UuYPaWHzvUs/s288/Unclickable%20area%20mapped.jpg (http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/8HTQ5G2gOTVdW6p0RbTMNA?feat=directlink)

I am using the larger DPI setting of 120, and suspected this might affect it. I changed it to 100 and rebooted. At 100 DPI, the dead zone is gone. I booted into Windows 7 on the same machine. It also has the larger DPI setting but there is no dead zone. I rebooted back to Vista 64 and reset the DPI to 120. After this, the dead zone is fixed.

I don't know why, but toggling the DPI and doing the required reboots repaired the unclickable area on my display.

hey bud. i have the same monitor. it seems fine for me. did you ever try a new videocard just to see if thats the case?

FlakMagnet
06-03-10, 07:54 AM
This is sounding more and more like a Topmost window is being created by an application you are running... like an on-screen clock or something. This would explain the 'disappearing' clicks as they are actually being sent to a different application.

This is possible to do by creating a transparent 'Topmost' windows and have it discard all mouse clicks. This would create the exact situation that you are seeing now. By clicking on the transparent window, you are changing the input focus to the application that owns that window, thereby removing focus from Paint.

Try killing off processes or applications from within TaskManager to see if the window then dies.

If you have any utilities running, like on-screen clock or virtual desktop etc., target those first. I am pretty sure this is what is happening in your case and that it is not a hardware issue.