PDA

View Full Version : Revenge of the PC!!

Pages : [1] 2 3

MaxFX
06-19-09, 07:32 AM
A really good read and it sounds pretty obvious that it will all go down this way.

Pc gaming along with services like Onlive (witch is Pc gaming streamed to your mon/tv) will pretty much be the last nail in the coffins for consoles as we knew them!

These consoles have had their time, okey they can put out beautifull titles but nothing like the Pc as we know and the onslaught of DX11 titels that will come will leave them in the dust totaly!

http://news.digitaltrends.com/talk-back/307/will-pc-games-trump-xbox-360-playstation-3-and-wii

Quote!
Windows Vista didn't have titles until months after it launched, kind of sucked initially, and even patch lagged Windows XP. This time around, I've been told by the graphics card companies there will be a number of hot titles available on top of the Windows 7 launch in October, taking us into the critical fourth quarter at a time when folks are likely really troubled about buying a game console that is getting really old
EA Phenomic, Emergent, Rebellion, and Codemasters have all committed to having product at, or soon after launch.

Tuork
06-19-09, 08:23 AM
Consoles are not going to disappear, and neither is PC gaming.

Both are considerably large markets that cater different types of people.

This whole "PC is sooo much better than t3h xboax!!1" crap for me is right up there with "Mac is so much better than PC" bullcrap.

Honestly, deal with it.

wysiwyg
06-19-09, 09:00 AM
i like the satisfavtion of building my own gaming pcs

streamed games can go and get lost

Tuork
06-19-09, 10:25 AM
i like the satisfavtion of building my own gaming pcs

Couldn't agree with you more.
Sadly, it's been years since I built a PC :(

Lfctony
06-19-09, 10:42 AM
These consoles have had their time, okey they can put out beautifull titles but nothing like the Pc as we know and the onslaught of DX11 titels that will come will leave them in the dust totaly!

Yes, as we know. (read MaxFX thinks)... :headexplode:

Just like DX10 did, DX11 will be even bettah! :headexplode:

And because OBVIOUSLY graphics matter the most to users, the PS2 still sells today... Hell, even the Wii sells like crazy and it has the ****tiest graphics of the 3 top consoles today...

OnLive sucks... Maybe in 10 years from now it will be doable... And the f*cking irony? You can play on it WITHOUT A PC... Connect to OnLive with your TV
http://www.onlive.com/service/how_onlive_works.html

Can I please have one reality check for MaxFX? ASAP please...

ViN86
06-19-09, 10:47 AM
A really good read and it sounds pretty obvious that it will all go down this way.

Pc gaming along with services like Onlive (witch is Pc gaming streamed to your mon/tv) will pretty much be the last nail in the coffins for consoles as we knew them!

http://news.digitaltrends.com/talk-back/307/will-pc-games-trump-xbox-360-playstation-3-and-wii

Quote!
Windows Vista didn't have titles until months after it launched, kind of sucked initially, and even patch lagged Windows XP. This time around, I've been told by the graphics card companies there will be a number of hot titles available on top of the Windows 7 launch in October, taking us into the critical fourth quarter at a time when folks are likely really troubled about buying a game console that is getting really old
EA Phenomic, Emergent, Rebellion, and Codemasters have all committed to having product at, or soon after launch.

Now you just have to overcome the $800 price difference and consoles will fall off the face of the planet!

:retard:

mailman2
06-19-09, 10:57 AM
Now you just have to overcome the $800 price difference and consoles will fall off the face of the planet!

:retard:

There isnt an $800 difference between a decent gaming machine and a 360 and a ps3. You are saying you'd need to spend $1100+ (in fact a ps3 was like $600 @ launch) for a gaming machine? Far from it. I've built some recently for friends for around $700. Not much more than a 360 at launch when you buy a second controller, HD, cables, Live, etc all the other junk to make the damn thing more than a single green light paper weight. Even a $700 gaming machine makes the hardware in a 360 look like a Casio Calculator from the 80s. The price you pay for an outdated, obsolete PC... errr I mean a RRoD_box is ridiculous, its nothing more than a 3 year old PC.

My 360 is nothing more than the "PC" for my kids to use. The performance slowdowns on the 360 suck, the graphics are crap next to my PC, its noisy as hell, the controller sucks for anything other than sports and driving games, and I find most the console only games on the 360 to be boring and mindless.

Give me a PC anyday. The reason consoles exist is because console people are too lazy to use a PC for gaming. Upgrades, maintanence, installation, etc. Consoles thrive because people are just want to just be lazy and stupid.

Starscream
06-19-09, 11:12 AM
IT'S THE END OF CONSOLE DAYS

GET DOWN

GET IN DA CHOPPER

RISE OF THE MACHINES!

ViN86
06-19-09, 11:43 AM
There isnt an $800 difference between a decent gaming machine and a 360 and a ps3. You are saying you'd need to spend $1100+ (in fact a ps3 was like $600 @ launch) for a gaming machine? Far from it. I've built some recently for friends for around $700. Not much more than a 360 at launch when you buy a second controller, HD, cables, Live, etc all the other junk to make the damn thing more than a single green light paper weight. Even a $700 gaming machine makes the hardware in a 360 look like a Casio Calculator from the 80s. The price you pay for an outdated, obsolete PC... errr I mean a RRoD_box is ridiculous, its nothing more than a 3 year old PC.

My 360 is nothing more than the "PC" for my kids to use. The performance slowdowns on the 360 suck, the graphics are crap next to my PC, its noisy as hell, the controller sucks for anything other than sports and driving games, and I find most the console only games on the 360 to be boring and mindless.

Give me a PC anyday. The reason consoles exist is because console people are too lazy to use a PC for gaming. Upgrades, maintanence, installation, etc. Consoles thrive because people are just want to just be lazy and stupid.

Comparing the PC's most everyone has on these forums to consoles there is about an $800 difference in price. Look how outdated mine is and my CPU/Mobo/RAM add up to the price of a new 360. When these parts were new they added up to over that ($200 for Mobo, $200 for CPU, $80 for ram, that's a 160GB PS3).

Then there's the monitor, the case, KB&M, graphics card, power supply, etc.

AdamK47
06-19-09, 12:00 PM
PC is sooo much better than t3h xboax!!1

mailman2
06-19-09, 12:13 PM
Comparing the PC's most everyone has on these forums to consoles there is about an $800 difference in price. Look how outdated mine is and my CPU/Mobo/RAM add up to the price of a new 360. When these parts were new they added up to over that ($200 for Mobo, $200 for CPU, $80 for ram, that's a 160GB PS3).

Motherboard GB P45 $94
Q8200 $160
4GB DDR2 6400 $40
GTX 260 $150
Case with PSU $60
500GB HD $60
DVD +RW $23
Saitek backlit keyboard $40
G9 $60

$687

You are pricing old parts and prices (Who spends $200 for a motherboard??? Maybe an I7 mobo when they just launched I never spend more than ~$125 on a motherboard). Also, if you have a TV you dont need a monitor.

PS3, no TV - $400
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16868110031

Already u have a PC that will do alot more than any console.

Ninjaman09
06-19-09, 12:20 PM

Your appraisal of the cost of a new gaming machine is excessively rosy. A brand new system from the ground up that is going to outperform a console is gonna cost more than $700. Hardware aside (I could spend $700 on motherboard, CPU, and video card alone) you still need Windows, unless you're pirating it I guess. Even OEM copies of Windows XP Pro run over $100. You also need a keyboard, mouse, gamepads, speakers, etc. PC gaming has and always will be a great deal more expensive than console gaming.

Regarding your comments about "lazy and stupid", I wouldn't really know what to say except "no u". Being employed, I can afford to enjoy my PS3, DS, Wii, Xbox 360, and PC all at once.

Already u have a PC that will do alot more than any console.
The PC you listed would be a cheap pile of ****, I'd rather play games on a console because they'd look and run better. Plus I wouldn't have to worry about my cheap-ass power supply (case + psu $60? LOL) blowing up and frying all my hardware.

nekrosoft13
06-19-09, 12:21 PM

you are missing one point, what can you do on PC vs Console. Console is one trick pony.

Ninjaman09
06-19-09, 12:24 PM
you are missing one point, what can you do on PC vs Console. Console is one trick pony.

You don't buy a console expecting to use it for anything other than gaming and multimedia purposes. The point is moot.

nekrosoft13
06-19-09, 01:22 PM
no its not moot, everyone that has a console, also buys PCs. difference is that PC they usually buy is from a store.

Comparing price between a complete PC and Console is also not accurate. Most people have PCs, some might be rather old. But price difference should be considered how much it cost to turn that PC that people own into a gaming PC, in most cases all you need is decent video card. That is about 100-160 for decent ATI or Nvidia card.

More house holds have PC then Console. If a house hold has a PC, and they want to play games, what is more reasonable investment, 100-160 for video card, or 250-400 for console? And then spend 3-4 times more per game (European game prices).

People in Europe understand that, that is why MS is using their "force 360 games down their throats strategy" and made official statements that they won't do simotenous PCs release because they want to force people to buy RROD_box.

Back to the one trick-pony statement. Recently I upgraded my Q6600 based system to i7. For price of that upgrade I could have bought a PS3, Wii and few games.
But in my book that would not be worth it
A) there are only maybe 3-5 games on those consoles that are exclusive and actually intrest me, 1 not being even released yet.
B) that is it, what else could I do with them? Blu-ray player? I have HTPC for that, running XBMC.
C) with PC upgrade not only will it play newer games, current games better, but also gained speed in all tasks, faster video encoding, and massive ammount of multi-tasking. Thanks to 8 threads I can run video encoding on 4, and a game on 4 threads with no slow downs.

NarcissistZero
06-19-09, 01:33 PM
The fact that the PS3 is also a damn good Blu-Ray player was one of the main reasons I felt it was worth buying a few months after launch for $400... consoles aren't one-trick-ponies all the time.

Ease of use is the main reason consoles rule the roost though... the mass market always, ALWAYS, goes for ease of use over quality. If PCs ever become as easy to game on as consoles they could win the majority of the market, but in order to make that happen they will have to curtail many of the things that makes PC better than console in the first place.

Also, developers like the ease of use as well, as far as ease of development. PCs would have to address that as well.

nekrosoft13
06-19-09, 01:41 PM
The fact that the PS3 is also a damn good Blu-Ray player was one of the main reasons I felt it was worth buying a few months after launch for $400... consoles aren't one-trick-ponies all the time.Also, developers like the ease of use as well, as far as ease of development. PCs would have to address that as well.

That should never been in the same post, considering when PS3 was released there were numerous articles how PS3 is a nightmare to develop for.

Tuork
06-19-09, 02:56 PM
The reason consoles exist is because console people are too lazy to use a PC for gaming. Upgrades, maintanence, installation, etc. Consoles thrive because people are just want to just be lazy and stupid.

This is the single most retarded thing I've ever heard a PC fanboy say.

Yeah, the reason I don't use a PC is because I'm too lazy and stupid. Of course. Why didn't you tell me before?
This means I'm too lazy and stupid to have a major in Computer Science with a minor in visual Computing.
It also must mean that the past 3 gaming rigs I've built and maintained are a mistake.

Thank you for helping me see the light.

mailman2
06-19-09, 03:27 PM
This is the single most retarded thing I've ever heard a PC fanboy say.

Yeah, the reason I don't use a PC is because I'm too lazy and stupid. Of course. Why didn't you tell me before?
This means I'm too lazy and stupid to have a major in Computer Science with a minor in visual Computing.
It also must mean that the past 3 gaming rigs I've built and maintained are a mistake.

Thank you for helping me see the light.

truth hurts sometimes. If you have 3 gaming rigs why would you ever use a crappy console?????

Ancient76
06-19-09, 03:58 PM
The fact that the PS3 is also a damn good Blu-Ray player was one of the main reasons I felt it was worth buying a few months after launch for $400... consoles aren't one-trick-ponies all the time.

Ease of use is the main reason consoles rule the roost though... the mass market always, ALWAYS, goes for ease of use over quality. If PCs ever become as easy to game on as consoles they could win the majority of the market, but in order to make that happen they will have to curtail many of the things that makes PC better than console in the first place.

Also, developers like the ease of use as well, as far as ease of development. PCs would have to address that as well.

What ease of use? You mean Cell? And developers make games on PC, not on consoles.

Ninjaman09
06-19-09, 04:00 PM
truth hurts sometimes. If you have 3 gaming rigs why would you ever use a crappy console?????

"truth"? That's just your malformed opinion. There are plenty of reasons to use a console, but you're too stubborn to consider any of them. Why even bother talking about it?

Back to the one trick-pony statement. Recently I upgraded my Q6600 based system to i7. For price of that upgrade I could have bought a PS3, Wii and few games.
But in my book that would not be worth it

You're not wrong, but you're talking about a subjective analysis of value, which is why I said the point was moot. Not that it was stupid or anything.

Tuork
06-19-09, 04:46 PM
I gather the following conclusions from this thread:

Ninjas are smart.

Mailmen... not so much.

:D

I've built 3 gaming rigs over the years, sequentially. Over the years my interests have shifted and I sold my latest rig and now own an xbox360.
How bizarre is that, huh? People having different opinions and likings. Crazy world we live in.

wysiwyg
06-19-09, 04:57 PM
traitor!!!

:P

mailman2
06-19-09, 05:25 PM
Mailmen... not so much.
have shifted and I sold my latest rig and now own an xbox360.

haha you bought an RRoD_Box... and you were calling me 'not smart'??

http://dlb-network.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/10/xbox_rrod.jpg

XDanger
06-19-09, 05:38 PM
Having just heard about this onlive thing I'd just like to remind everyone that I predicted it ,Thankyou.

NOW GIVE ME A MODULAR PC DAMMIT !!!!