PDA

View Full Version : W7 x64/8800GTS/Nvidia Driver Installation

seeker
06-20-09, 12:12 PM
When I attempted to update the driver to 185.85, it failed to install and caused the system to become unbootable. I used the Startup Repair utility, which also said that it failed to fix the problem, but on the next attempt to boot, it reached desktop (somewhat slowly). I then tried to install the Nvidia 186.18 x64 driver, but like before, it said that it couldn't find a compatable driver. I then attempted to force the installation from the Device Manager with the "Have Disk" procedure, but that also ended up with the same result. The obvious question is why does the Nvidia driver that is supposed to be for this OS say that it can't find itself?

henrybravo
06-21-09, 12:00 AM
When I attempted to update the driver to 185.85, it failed to install and caused the system to become unbootable. I used the Startup Repair utility, which also said that it failed to fix the problem, but on the next attempt to boot, it reached desktop (somewhat slowly). I then tried to install the Nvidia 186.18 x64 driver, but like before, it said that it couldn't find a compatable driver. I then attempted to force the installation from the Device Manager with the "Have Disk" procedure, but that also ended up with the same result. The obvious question is why does the Nvidia driver that is supposed to be for this OS say that it can't find itself?

2 things:

#1 That driver is old. You should be using the recent whql version 186.18.

#2 You didn't mention which build of Win 7 you are using. If you want the least amount of bugs you should be using a fresh install of build 7229/7232, or better yet just wait a few days for the build 726x leak(s).

seeker
06-21-09, 06:17 AM
2 things:

#1 That driver is old. You should be using the recent whql version 186.18.

Apparently, you failed to read where I said that my last installation attempt was with 186.18.

#2 You didn't mention which build of Win 7 you are using. If you want the least amount of bugs you should be using a fresh install of build 7229/7232, or better yet just wait a few days for the build 726x leak(s).
I'm using the RC...build 7000. I realize that betas do have bugs, but I would have thought that if this bug were with the OS, that it would have effected enough people that I would have heard the screaming without the internet. I'll see if I can find a later build.

Toss3
06-22-09, 03:50 PM
How did you go about un- & installing your drivers?

seeker
06-22-09, 03:58 PM
As I have always done with prior Windows versions...I uninstalled the display adapter via the Device Manager, emptied the driver's folder, and then started the Nvidia driver installation. The only thing that I'm aware of that some people do, that I didn't, is to use DC Pro to cleanup the old driver, but that is because of a bad problem that I once had with it, and also because I'm not sure if it's designed to work properly with W7.

EDIT: As far as the installation procedure, I'm not sure what you are asking, that I didn't state in the OP?