PDA

View Full Version : 4200+ X2 Overheating and Crashing

johnkeel105
06-22-09, 05:48 PM
A while back I moved my parts to a new case because I had to change out a bad motherboard. Recently I have been having a problem with overheating. I have applied arctic silver 5 to the processor twice now, cleaning it off each time. I am still having the same over heating problem. Is the stock heatsink just not enough?

I go into a game, Call of Duty World at War, and play for about 5-10 minutes then the pc shuts off. Loging with Core temp shows the cpu at 110-120 C. degrees :thumbdwn: . Then it shuts off. Is my cpu already failing or do i need better cooling. Help would be appriciated!

betterdan
06-22-09, 06:52 PM
That is 43-48C so I don't think that is hot enough to shut it down but if it is running hotter than before after you switched cases it might be crappy airflow in your case.
My case is notorious for crappy airflow but a better exhaust fan and a great cpu cooler helped out a ton.

johnkeel105
06-22-09, 06:58 PM
Those temps were Celcius!

mojoman0
06-22-09, 09:43 PM
Is it even OC? I'm still running mine @ 2.65 GHz / no voltage increase and it idles lower than 50C in a warm room. There must be a nasty problem with your cpu unless you arent running a fan on your heatsink in a small case.

Maverick123w
06-22-09, 10:08 PM
A while back I moved my parts to a new case because I had to change out a bad motherboard. Recently I have been having a problem with overheating. I have applied arctic silver 5 to the processor twice now, cleaning it off each time. I am still having the same over heating problem. Is the stock heatsink just not enough?

I go into a game, Call of Duty World at War, and play for about 5-10 minutes then the pc shuts off. Loging with Core temp shows the cpu at 110-120 C. degrees :thumbdwn: . Then it shuts off. Is my cpu already failing or do i need better cooling. Help would be appriciated!

You're positive the fan on the heat sink is spinning at an appropriate speed? Also make sure you're only applying a very thin layer of the silver compound, just enough so its barely see through.

Also just as a precaution set the failsafe or default values in the bios.

johnkeel105
06-22-09, 10:27 PM
Well I have been messing with it for the better part of the night. I am still not quite sure what the problem is. I think it may be a bad temp sensor on the processor or motherboard. At the temps it was showing it would have taken quite a while for the processor to cool down and it didnt take that long when taking it out to reapply thermal grease.

I am still not sure what to do, but the temprature readings shut the computer down whenever I game. Since its getting a bit long in the tooth. I think I may purchase new PC parts.

TheBigOne
06-22-09, 11:05 PM
Those temp are dangerous, max before damage is 70c anything above that is very bad!!!
Get a cheap Infrared thermometer and point it at the back side of the motherboard, it tell you what your real temps are.

bob saget
06-23-09, 01:24 AM
that is very strange. I have had no problems with those games even with a slight overclock.
Something is VERY seriously wrong.

betterdan
06-23-09, 06:41 AM

Oh crap then hell yea that's too hot! :lol:

johnkeel105
06-25-09, 09:59 PM
I have not come up with a solution to my problem yet. Despite that I decided the other day to bite the bullet and upgrade. It has been 3 1/2 years since I got a new processor. So here is what I ordered:

AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE 3.2GHz

GIGABYTE GA-MA770T-UD3P AM3 AMD 770 ATX

OCZ Reaper HPC 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3 1600

Total: $398.98 Free Shipping No Tax

I think this will be a good gaming system. Should handle everything I will need it to. I am carrying over my additional parts from my old pc.

betterdan
06-25-09, 11:47 PM
Sounds good and for a good price.