PDA

View Full Version : WTF has happened to the good drivers?

DHP
06-23-09, 02:10 PM
It has been a few months now, since really good drivers where released. Alle new drivers have issues, and break things.

Prototype; lags @ 60FPS with VSYNC on
Riddick AODA runs like crap. Feels like there's no good SLI profile for the game.
HAWX stutters randomly when making lots of turns
Saints Row 2 is unplayable
Fallout 3 gives sceen flicker during daylight in-game
Control panel loading time is crap (even with my SSD's)

I'm beginning to think that nV has fired some people of the driver team! Al free roaming games play like utter crap! WTF is going on @ nV? I never had this before with nV hardware!

A few months ago, SLi profiles where much faster available for most new games, now its taking ages!!! Every driver has issues.

Edit; you all have to agree; since the 182.05 driver (10 feb 09) no other good drivers where released...

Whats happening?!?!

AngelGraves13
06-23-09, 05:01 PM
I don't have any of those games or SLI, so I can't say.

New drivers have been great for me, especially for the added 3D Vision profiles.

|MaguS|
06-23-09, 05:42 PM
Nvidia's punishing you for touching yourself at night.

Bman212121
06-23-09, 06:03 PM
It has been a few months now, since really good drivers where released. Alle new drivers have issues, and break things.

Prototype; lags @ 60FPS with VSYNC on
Riddick AODA runs like crap. Feels like there's no good SLI profile for the game.
HAWX stutters randomly when making lots of turns
Saints Row 2 is unplayable
Fallout 3 gives sceen flicker during daylight in-game
Control panel loading time is crap (even with my SSD's)

I'm beginning to think that nV has fired some people of the driver team! Al free roaming games play like utter crap! WTF is going on @ nV? I never had this before with nV hardware!

A few months ago, SLi profiles where much faster available for most new games, now its taking ages!!! Every driver has issues.

Edit; you all have to agree; since the 182.05 driver (10 feb 09) no other good drivers where released...

Whats happening?!?!

It might just be time for a reinstall. If you frequently change out drivers it's possible that a previous driver has screwed up some settings that aren't getting reverted. I think I broke my install once from weekly driver installs where it just didn't seem like it was running as smooth as it used to. Reinstalling and only throwing a driver on there every few months and I can't say as I've had too many issues.

betterdan
06-23-09, 06:36 PM
Nvidia's punishing you for touching yourself at night.

:rofl

Wait a minute... am I next? :(

AdamK47
06-23-09, 06:45 PM
We have similar system specs and I can say that Riddick AODA does not run like crap. Runs at a constant 60 fps with vsync on @ 1920x1080.

AdamK47
06-23-09, 06:45 PM
Saints Row 2 runs great as well.

|MaguS|
06-23-09, 06:48 PM

Now you are just flat out lying.

DHP
06-24-09, 10:59 AM
It might just be time for a reinstall. If you frequently change out drivers it's possible that a previous driver has screwed up some settings that aren't getting reverted. I think I broke my install once from weekly driver installs where it just didn't seem like it was running as smooth as it used to. Reinstalling and only throwing a driver on there every few months and I can't say as I've had too many issues.

Maybe its time to try that indeed... :o

Misfire
06-24-09, 11:02 AM
do u you driver sweeper before installing new drivers?

DHP
06-25-09, 12:18 AM
Yep. :)

saturnotaku
06-25-09, 09:17 AM
I bet if you take out one of your video cards, most of the issues you speak of will go away.

BelligerentBill
06-26-09, 06:20 PM
The 185.xx and up series of drivers have been notoriously problematic across the board. Sure, they don't give everyone problems as not everyone plays the same games or uses the same software, but generally speaking it's not all that hard to find issues. If you want to play it safe, stick with the 182.50 drivers as they seem to be the best overall and they really aren't that old. You don't need the latest release we only feel compelled to have them because they're there for the taking. Stick with what works especially if they aren't really that old. Not much has changed this year.... we're still on the same versions of Windows and DirectX (Win7 beta doesn't count).

Ancient
07-02-09, 11:41 PM
What happened? Just a guess, but Windows 7 happened and is still happening. More than likely the driver team is concentrating far more on creating decent drivers for the RTM than worrying about patching issues for Vista and XP.

If that's the case, can't blame NVIDIA for concentrating their effort. Win7 is a solid OS and there should be a lot of people migrating to it once it's released. They probably don't want to encounter the same debacle of the early Vista drivers.

betterdan
07-06-09, 08:32 PM

Now you are just flat out lying.

I hate to break it to you Magus but Saints Row 2 plays fine here at 1920x1080 and all settings maxed out including 4xAA and 16xAF.

It was a slideshow when I had the 7800 GTX 512 in but with the GTX 275 it's smoother than Crainger's butt (and smells much better too) :cool:

ragingWS6
07-07-09, 08:08 PM
And it would be a good move. Remember the horrible SLI support even months after the Vista launch? Shouldn't happen this time.

Let's hope not. I really didn't want to be running with one card for a while again...