PDA

View Full Version : id software bought by Zenimax

jolle
06-24-09, 11:56 AM
http://kotaku.com/5302060/id-software-bought-by-bethesda-parent-company-zenimax

Two of the most acclaimed game development studios of all time are joining forces. ZeniMax Media, parent company of Fallout 3 and Elder Scrolls development studio Bethesda Softworks, announced today that it is purchasing legendary Doom and Wolfenstein studio id.

n an interview with Kotaku, id co-founder John Carmack, id CEO Todd Hollenshead and ZeniMax CEO Robert Altman said the purchase will change none of the principles or principals of id and Bethesda but will allow id to grow like it never has before.

egamer11
06-24-09, 12:38 PM
good news,this deal wiill reduce the produce peorid of doom4 and id tech 6!

NarcissistZero
06-24-09, 12:45 PM
Yeah, good news... Zenimax seems to support its developers and keep their hands off, as far as we know.

SH64
06-24-09, 02:28 PM
ESV using idTech6? :drooling:

Lfctony
06-24-09, 02:58 PM

:barf: is more like it...

jolle
06-24-09, 03:10 PM
I doubt they´re ever going to move away from that damn GameBryo engine they license.
Think their tools and custom systems for handling the worlds, quests and everything in there are too deeply rooted in that, they´ve used it in everything since morrowind.

But hey, maybe they can get some pointers on how to tweak up the renderer? hehe..
Think the biggest eyesore with Bethesda games is the animation systems though, transitioning between states and all that..

ViN86
06-24-09, 03:14 PM
Already posted here:

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=134921

nekrosoft13
06-24-09, 03:23 PM
i guess it might be good. hope they make a good team

SH64
06-24-09, 03:29 PM
:barf: is more like it...
And why is that? do you even know how idTech6 features/graphics will look like?

But hey, maybe they can get some pointers on how to tweak up the renderer? hehe..
Think the biggest eyesore with Bethesda games is the animation systems though, transitioning between states and all that..
Agreed. id is full of talents and i expect good things to come out off this deal.

nekrosoft13
06-24-09, 04:04 PM
maybe id will build an engine for bethesdas future games.

Lfctony
06-24-09, 04:23 PM
And why is that? do you even know how idTech6 features/graphics will look like?

Well, Doom 3 (also Prey/Quake 4) had a horrible plastic look. The creature shots of the idTech6 that have surfaced show the same exact thing...

CaptNKILL
06-24-09, 04:33 PM
maybe id will build an engine for bethesdas future games.

I sure hope so.

Bethesda's gamebryo monstrosity is one of the crappiest engines in recent memory. It was clunky in Morrowind back in 2001 and they've just glued more crap onto it over the years.

On the other hand, ET:QW showed that id's engines are making some pretty massive improvements in performance and visual quality for large levels. And what I've seen so far of idTech6 has been very impressive.

3DBrad
06-24-09, 07:49 PM
Well, Doom 3 (also Prey/Quake 4) had a horrible plastic look. The creature shots of the idTech6 that have surfaced show the same exact thing...

That second shot isn't from id Tech 6 per se, and besides, it's a tech demo of massive amounts of geometric detail being stored via voxels, or sparse octree ray-casting. It isn't a demo to show off new HLSL shader tricks for skin. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HScYuRhgEJw

;)

Lfctony
06-24-09, 10:42 PM
I don't really id is all that great at this point. Sure, their engines are kind of nice, but I don't think they can deliver "games"... I'd say their efforts are average at best, IMO. Also to me it seemed that their latest engine lacked versatility. Take a look at Doom 3/Q4/Prey/Quake Wars... Almost identical. It was like being in a Doom 3 mod... Hopefully some developers will buy a license and modify the hell out of it like they did with the Tech 3 engine...

jolle
06-25-09, 01:16 AM
The creature shots of the idTech6 that have surfaced show the same exact thing...
That was not from idTech6 though, I think that was established.
You dont use voxels for characters, they dont animate well.

jlippo
06-25-09, 03:53 AM
I don't really id is all that great at this point. Sure, their engines are kind of nice, but I don't think they can deliver "games"... I'd say their efforts are average at best, IMO. Also to me it seemed that their latest engine lacked versatility. Take a look at Doom 3/Q4/Prey/Quake Wars... Almost identical. It was like being in a Doom 3 mod... Hopefully some developers will buy a license and modify the hell out of it like they did with the Tech 3 engine...
You do remember that Doom3 was originally meant for geforce1-4.. ;)
Those games used pretty much same shader (meaning a single shader), except for the quake wars which had some new tweaks.

Now that they have flexibility of SM3, the art design is the limiting factor and seems like they really have got some good people that at the moment.
It is very interesting to see what they will do with idtech5 as it has some very nice ideas.

Idtech6 is if I remember correctly still without any actual work, remember Carmack saying that he would go to the tech trip after summer.
Personally I would love them to use something like Giga Voxels which make prefiltering of geometry possible. (easy and fast anti-aliasing and other benefits, the Jon Olicks demo had only on/off voxels.)

Lfctony
06-25-09, 08:28 AM
That was not from idTech6 though, I think that was established.
You dont use voxels for characters, they dont animate well.

I don't want to be right about this. I'm all for new engines and stuff. I'm just not confident...

jlippo, I hope you are right about id Tech 5...

jolle
06-25-09, 08:44 AM
I don't want to be right about this. I'm all for new engines and stuff. I'm just not confident...
Seems like the guy who´s behind that tech demo from Siggraph works at id though.
But it seems like a proof of concept thing about realtime sparse voxel octree usage.
Using what looks like the default zbrush material.
not a ingame thing though, you wouldnt use that tech on characters.
And at any rate the material used is sorta irrelevant.

It might still be shiny, but that video is nothing to draw conclusions from.