PDA

View Full Version : ASUS V9900 video card gift: keep or refund?

ricercar
06-16-03, 11:25 PM
If you received an ASUS V9900 GeForce FX 5800 (NV30) as a gift, with the receipt, would you keep it, or get a refund?

http://usa.asus.com/products/vga/v9900/overview.htm

I'm on the fence. It's a mail order card, so an RMA will take a while, plus a return would cost me shipping plus 15% re-stocking. That's over $45 USD!

("5800, 5900, what's the difference?" the giver says) The road to hell is paved with good intentions.

extreme_dB
06-16-03, 11:44 PM
Sell it! At a higher price than what you would get if you RMA'ed it. :)

GlowStick
06-17-03, 01:33 PM
Well, as from a giftee it is allways completely rude to ever 'return' a gift, you are saposta just smile and say "yay".

but if the gifter isnt very technical, you could ebay/return it and front some of your own money and buy a 5900 and pretend its what he/she gave you.

and never admit to exchangeing it, never!

Uttar
06-17-03, 01:54 PM
I suggest you go to nVidia's HQ, try to find a for-developer NV35, and replace what's in the case with the V9900.
"Hey! nVidia told me this was supposed to be fast!" ;)
Or if you wait a while, you could get a NV40 that way, too. Although getting there might be risky ( and expensive? ) - if you know what I mean.

More seriously though...

Just do what you consider best considering the gifter's personality. If he wouldn't care much about it, then RMA it. Otherwise, maybe you shouldn't.

It's as simple as that, really.

Uttar

EMunEeE
06-17-03, 02:00 PM
EBay that sucker.

B&R
06-17-03, 05:23 PM
i say keep it.

bkswaney
06-17-03, 06:16 PM
I say keep it.

It's a wonderful card. There is not one game out or coming in the next 12 months that it will not play very well.
Just overclock it to 500/1000 and be happy. :D

I love my 5800. Mines a ultra but even if it was not I would still be happy.
There not the fastest in AA/AF but other than that they are great.

Martrox
06-17-03, 06:17 PM
Sell it, get a 9800Pro & take your friend out to dinner with the profits.......:rolleyes: :D

GlowStick
06-17-03, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by Martrox
Sell it, get a 9800Pro & take your friend out to dinner with the profits.......:rolleyes: :D

Actually he will be in debt for about 100$

muzz
06-17-03, 07:08 PM
I'd still take them to dinner......
After trading it for a 9800p..............:p

GlowStick
06-17-03, 07:22 PM
Originally posted by muzz
I'd still take them to dinner......
After trading it for a 9800p..............:p

where the hell is my dinner!

steak and lobster will be fine.

extreme_dB
06-17-03, 07:40 PM
Originally posted by GlowStick
where the hell is my dinner!

steak and lobster will be fine.

Where's the FX5800 you gave him? :)

muzz
06-17-03, 07:42 PM
Must've gotten lost in the mail.......:D

GlowStick
06-17-03, 07:56 PM
Originally posted by extreme_dB
Where's the FX5800 you gave him? :)

Woudnt you like to know!

muzz
06-17-03, 08:11 PM
I sure would GS.......

Would be good for a folding rig!!!;)

PreservedSwine
06-17-03, 08:14 PM
Originally posted by bkswaney
I say keep it.

It's a wonderful card. There is not one game out or coming in the next 12 months that it will not play very well......

There not the fastest in AA/AF but other than that they are great.

Of course, anyone w/ a Ti4600 could say the same thing:(

yoladude
06-17-03, 10:50 PM
well, the fx5800, as bkswaney said, is still a very good card....i would guess (GUESSING HERE) that it's about on par with a 9700 non-pro. so, if u dont mind the noise, i myself wouldn't take it back. but that's just me, u might be an ati man, or just want a new 5900. ultimately, i have no idea what you should do, so i'll just stop typing now.

JeremyWills
06-17-03, 11:15 PM
If someone gives you something and they also gave you the receipt, then they obviously dont mind since they allowed you the ability to take it back. It was a nice gesture Im sure but if your not happy with it Im sure they wouldnt have wanted to have wasted 300 something dollars, Im sure they paid at least that for it. I would ensure that they got thier moneys worth. I would get something you want if thats what you want. Keep it if you feel like it will surfice. Do what you feel whats in yours and thier best interests

Jeremy

Gator
06-18-03, 12:22 PM
return it or sell it

I'm sure it's a decent card, but between the high amount of noise and it's mere-128bit bus it would annoy me

Use the money toward GFFX5900 or R9800

ricercar
06-18-03, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by yoladude
ultimately, i have no idea what you should do

feh. me neither. it's been sitting unopened for a week now.

as an ultimate lazy ass/busy parent of a 2-yearold, i'm opposed to the hassle of returning it. however, I really want to compare a 5900 Ultra against my 5800 Ultra, and the gift 5800 regular just doesn't fit into my situation anywhere.

Uttar
06-18-03, 03:49 PM
Well, you could always RMA it, get a Radeon 9800 Pro and brag about its Pixel Shader performance, I'm sure it'll make you very popular with other people in your workspace, eh

I know this is unrelated to the thread ( the rest of the post will be ) , but you simply know there's something wrong with the NV3x PS architecture when you hear an ATI employee seriously wishing the NV4x fixes it. I'm not joking here :(

But as for what to do...
IMO, it's best to just RMA it - you don't even need to be in a hurry, since the original prices of the 5900U will be well higher than as soon as they'll really be in the marketplace.

I doubt Ebay would give you much more, because of the bad reputation the 5800 is getting. Let's thank nVidia's dustbuster video for that, eh. You could always check other similar sellings there, though... But it'd give even more hassle I think.

Or, hey, you could have fun and try the rumored ( and highly dangerous ) Quadro FX activation thingy on your 5800. Rumored to be able to increase your maximum instruction count from 1024 to 2048 like on the Quadro FX by changing a jumper. No idea if anyone even ever tested it really, but I do remember someone saying he thought a jumper did that, eh... Yes, risky business :) Wouldn't suggest it either, since it'd give no real benefits at all to a non-workstation user.

Uttar