PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft is offering Windows 7 at half off...but??

Pages : [1] 2

musman
06-26-09, 10:00 AM
I got a e-mail today saying I can pre order Windows 7 at half off from my choice of sellers. I always use newegg. My question is... Are the ones on newegg 64bit or 32, it's not clear to me form looking at their sight? I want to order it but I DO NOT want to get stuck with a 32bit OS. Anyone have any idea?

Thank You.

ViN86
06-26-09, 10:11 AM
I got a e-mail today saying I can pre order Windows 7 at half off from my choice of sellers. I always use newegg. My question is... Are the ones on newegg 64bit or 32, it's not clear to me form looking at their sight? I want to order it but I DO NOT want to get stuck with a 32bit OS. Anyone have any idea?

Thank You.

Probably comes with both.

Besides, with Vista the CD key could be used for 32-bit or 64-bit installations. The keys weren't separate like in XP.

musman
06-26-09, 11:07 AM
I just talked to Microsoft. They say that the deal offer I got in the mail in for people who already have a legal copy of Windows installed and this is just an upgrade. I do have XP but it's not installed :( I have Windows 7RC installed. He said I need to buy the "full version" of Windows 7. It's $300 :(

hell_of_doom227
06-26-09, 11:10 AM
I am not going to buy anything. Bring DX11 for Windows Vista and it's all good. I don't use Windows for anything but gaming anyway.

musman
06-26-09, 11:16 AM
I am not going to buy anything. Bring DX11 for Windows Vista and it's all good. I don't use Windows for anything but gaming anyway.

I use it for gaming for the most part too. Well.... I use my PC for gaming more than I use it for anything else.

bacon12
06-26-09, 01:55 PM

I feel the same way about upgrading to 7. I use my vista machine for pretty much everything I do, and running 7 as a comparison there is little difference except for video playback and a few other small changes.

I am not forking out anymore cash to MS for a while.

NaitoSan
06-29-09, 03:22 AM
All Win7 upgrade have 32 and 64bit edition on disc. You can install Win XP quickly on your machine and then do "clean" install with Win 7. It may take you more time but worths the price.

SLippe
06-29-09, 12:13 PM
Here are the two upgrades for half-off at Newegg.com;

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=40000368%204811&Description=windows%207%20upgrade&name=Pre-order%20%2f%20Backorder

CaptNKILL
06-29-09, 01:02 PM
Man... home premium is so tempting at $50... but I'm really interested in the XP virtual machine in Professional.

It really sucks that they didn't include that in Home Premium.

Would XP mode allow 16bit apps to run in the 64bit OS?

EDIT: Here is a chart comparing the editions:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_7_editions#Comparison_chart

Ghosthunter
06-29-09, 01:24 PM
Here are the two upgrades for half-off at Newegg.com;

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=40000368%204811&Description=windows%207%20upgrade&name=Pre-order%20%2f%20Backorder

they do not guarantee it it is first come first serve even if you place an order today...i wonder if that is the same for amazon and best buy does anyone know?

Bman212121
06-29-09, 05:24 PM
Man... home premium is so tempting at $50... but I'm really interested in the XP virtual machine in Professional.

It really sucks that they didn't include that in Home Premium.

Would XP mode allow 16bit apps to run in the 64bit OS?

EDIT: Here is a chart comparing the editions:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_7_editions#Comparison_chart

Really CaptNKILL. I mean REALLY?

http://www.televisioninternet.com/news/pictures/ron-blagojevich-snl.jpg

Why don't you use load up Windows 95 into VPC if you need to run that stuff?

nekrosoft13
06-29-09, 05:36 PM
Remote Desktop Host - main reason why I don't want home version.

betterdan
06-29-09, 05:41 PM
You could use VNC instead of Remote Desktop.

Shamrock
06-29-09, 09:37 PM
I have Win XP Pro Upgrade. You think Win7 Upgrade would work?

methimpikehoses
06-29-09, 10:01 PM
I pre-ordered the home premium for $50... here's to hoping it's not $40 at release. :|

nekrosoft13
06-29-09, 10:04 PM
will be 110 at release

CaptNKILL
06-29-09, 11:04 PM
Really CaptNKILL. I mean REALLY?

http://www.televisioninternet.com/news/pictures/ron-blagojevich-snl.jpg

Why don't you use load up Windows 95 into VPC if you need to run that stuff?

I have old games that have source ports that work in new operating systems but the installers are 16bit DOS programs so I can't get to the game. :p

Its kind of annoying being able to run but not install a game. The XP virtual PC sounds like its easily integrated into the OS.

Whether that's worth $50 though... I'm not sure.

I've never used a Windows 95 VPC... how can I do that?

EDIT: Heh, newegg already sold out of their preorders for Home Premium so I just preordered it from Amazon. Its just too cheap to pass up...

betterdan
06-30-09, 06:41 AM
Wow I must have been one of the last ones to get Home Premium pre ordered at Newegg. I preordered it yesterday about 5 pm.

CaptNKILL
06-30-09, 04:10 PM
I just installed the newest beta of Windows 7 on my secondary PC (E4300@2.4Ghz, P965, 4Gb DDR2, 160GB WD drive, 9600GT) and it seems reeaaally nice. Its so smooth and looks so nice. I can't believe how well it runs on this system.

And it installed off of the DVD in like 10 minutes!

They moved some things around but they're in places that make more sense now. I like the new theme\wallpaper system, and having the resolution adjustments available right on the desktop right click menu is very nice.

I'm really glad I preordered this now.

betterdan
06-30-09, 05:33 PM
Yep I am very impressed with Windows 7. I'm running build 7100 and I don't remember the resolutions being right on the desktop right click menu though, they must have changed it since then. What build are you running Capt?

CaptNKILL
06-30-09, 11:30 PM
Yep I am very impressed with Windows 7. I'm running build 7100 and I don't remember the resolutions being right on the desktop right click menu though, they must have changed it since then. What build are you running Capt?

7231, based on 7229.

I do have a question about using a Windows 7 upgrade though...

It just occurred to me that I'm using Vista Ultimate... can I actually upgrade it to Windows 7 Home Premium? Or do upgrades only work for better editions, regardless of the version of Windows? In other words, do I need to get a Windows 7 Ultimate upgrade for Vista Ultimate or will any Windows 7 upgrade work?

betterdan
06-30-09, 11:36 PM
Ok I just checked build 7100 and the right click resolutions is on the desktop :thumbsup:

Not sure if you can update Vista to that but why update? I am gonna install fresh by the Vista upgrade disc trick that is supposed to work with Win 7 too.
Just boot up with the upgrade disc and install it fresh and don't put in the key and do not select to automatically activate windows. Select the correct version of Windows you are installing (home premium, professional or Ultimate) and select custom advanced install not upgrade. After it installs just boot up with the disc again then select to upgrade Windows and this time put in the key.

http://www.infopackets.com/news/hardware/2007/20070206_vista_upgrade_dvd_trick_clean_install_vis ta_without_previous_os.htm

nekrosoft13
07-01-09, 12:11 AM
7231, based on 7229.

I do have a question about using a Windows 7 upgrade though...

It just occurred to me that I'm using Vista Ultimate... can I actually upgrade it to Windows 7 Home Premium? Or do upgrades only work for better editions, regardless of the version of Windows? In other words, do I need to get a Windows 7 Ultimate upgrade for Vista Ultimate or will any Windows 7 upgrade work?

upgrades only work for the same version.

hp to hp, b to p, u to u etc....

if you actually want to do actuall upgrade then you will need windows 7 ultimate.

if you buy windows 7 hp (for example), then you will need to do clean install, long process.

Install 7 hp with no key, after install key from upgrade version will not work, so then you have to start the setup again, and then do upgrade from win7 hp (key-less) to windows 7 hp.

CaptNKILL
07-01-09, 12:39 PM
Install 7 hp with no key, after install key from upgrade version will not work, so then you have to start the setup again, and then do upgrade from win7 hp (key-less) to windows 7 hp.
I don't really understand what you mean by that.

I already pre-ordered Windows 7 HP... can I actually use it or is it worthless to me if I'm using Vista Ultimate?

If I have to do a clean install that's ok, but if there's any chance it won't work, I'm going to cancel my preorder.

saturnotaku
07-01-09, 12:47 PM
I don't really understand what you mean by that.

I already pre-ordered Windows 7 HP... can I actually use it or is it worthless to me if I'm using Vista Ultimate?

If I have to do a clean install that's ok, but if there's any chance it won't work, I'm going to cancel my preorder.

To do a clean install with an upgrade disc, boot, format, and install Windows like you normally would. When the installer asks for the CD key, leave the field blank. This will put Windows into "trial" mode. Once that gets installed, repeat the install procedure, this time entering the CD key. This basically tricks the installer into thinking that you're actually upgrading. It will move all existing data from the first install into a folder and create new directories and so forth. It'll basically be a clean install, it just takes longer and uses more drive space (which you can always free up once you're fully up and running).

I wish MS would have gone back to the old method of allowing full, clean installs from upgrade discs by allowing you to put in a previous full-version disc in the drive for verification.