PDA

View Full Version : The Ultimate nForce 2 Ultra 400

Pages : [1] 2

prodikal
06-17-03, 02:49 AM
Hey guys does anyone know whats the "best" (fastest or most efficient) nForce 2 Ultra 400.I just got a nice shiny xp3200 as a gift. I was lookin at the A7N8x Deluxe but i have a window in my comp case and its not the most eye-appealing board on the market. i was thinking of the Gigabyte 7nnxp. Any thoughts or help would be greatly appreciated.

firestartar
06-17-03, 04:51 AM
Gigabyte 7NNXP

PsychoSy
06-17-03, 08:22 AM
Clearly, the top most efficient and fastest nForce2 400 boards are the Asus A7N8X and the Abit NF7-S. They do come at a premium, though, so if there's some gizmos you don't plan on using, the Gigabyte board could save you money.

The Baron
06-17-03, 09:31 AM
If you have a good sound card, that Gigabyte will work fine. Otherwise, I'd say NF7-S 2.0.

prodikal
06-17-03, 07:58 PM
Hey guys thanx for all the replies and Info. I have One last question though: What is ya'lls opinion of the A7N8X Deluxe is it good b/c i noticed A LOT of reviewer site use it in their test bed.

The Baron
06-17-03, 08:35 PM
A7N8X Deluxe and NF7-S 2.0 are generally considered the two best NF2 boards. A7N8X is all-in-all more feature-rich, but NF7-S 2.0 is better for overclockers and the like.

I think... heh. Kinda brain dead because I'm drooling for Vice City to finish installing. :p

prodikal
06-17-03, 08:51 PM
Yeah that game is the ****. I have a save game that gives you all hundred packages so you can fly around in the Apache ;) Gimme a heads up if you want it m8.

b00bie
06-17-03, 10:11 PM
Originally posted by The Baron
A7N8X Deluxe and NF7-S 2.0 are generally considered the two best NF2 boards. A7N8X is all-in-all more feature-rich, but NF7-S 2.0 is better for overclockers and the like.

I think... heh. Kinda brain dead because I'm drooling for Vice City to finish installing. :p

Yes, I agree with Baron. The NF7-S 2.0 is much better for overclocking. You won't get the same options on the Asus. Other than that they are both great cards. The sound on them is great (sound storm) and nice features. :)

Have fun with VC Baron ! Awsome game!:afro2:

The Baron
06-17-03, 11:10 PM
Hehe. Chainsaws.

And my NF7-S 2 got here today. Need to play with it, but my processor and RAM might not arrive until Thursday since I won't be here to sign for the FedEx stuff tomorrow... stupid people making me drive to the airport...

b00bie
06-17-03, 11:13 PM
Hehe. Chainsaws.

And my NF7-S 2 got here today. Need to play with it, but my processor and RAM might not arrive until Thursday since I won't be here to sign for the FedEx stuff tomorrow... stupid people making me drive to the airport...

Hehe Have fun!!! :D

Tell me how it works out since I am ordering mine next week!!!:p

silence
06-18-03, 02:36 AM
NF7-S is great mobo, i just got it last week and i am still drooling on it :D

increase in performance with new mobo,cpu and memory....and keeping old gf2 gts is more then i ever expected......

i love this board...it really kicks ass.

b00bie
06-18-03, 09:45 AM
Thanks for the info. From all the boards I looked at, this one seemes to have the best overall performance. Can't wait to get that little baby in my computer! :)

SavagePaladin
06-20-03, 12:46 AM
I'd go for the new DFI lanparty board now myself :)

PsychoSy
06-20-03, 08:32 AM
Hehe. Chainsaws.

Make sure you got revision 2.0.

Once you get it up and going, follow this advice...

1) Pay attention to catch the last two digits of the BIOS ID string in the lower left corner during POST.

2) If the last two digits are less than "14", then immediately flash the sucker to the latest BIOS (which is version 1.4 for the NF7-S 2.x boards).

3) If the last two digits are "14" or greater, you're all set.

The 1.2 and older BIOSes were famous for corrupting themselves while saving changes. The 1.4 BIOS seems to have fixed this problem for the most part so it's imperative that you have the 1.4 BIOS installed. Personally, I wouldn't use a BIOS older than 1.4 unless I had one of those "BIOS Savior" gadgets.

The Baron
06-20-03, 09:57 AM
Revision 2.0, check.

Let me get it in before I mess with the BIOS, though :p (blasted SLK-900U is impossible to mount... need to find me tools)

Grechie
06-21-03, 10:36 AM
the a7n8x actually has some good performance, and is a good board it rocks, but i cant speak for overclocking coz i dont do that :)

The Baron
06-21-03, 11:34 AM
Sy, how do you flash the BIOS?

the FlashMenu stuff in Windows, ALT-F2 at the BIOS screen, or a boot disk?

my floppy drive seems like it might be wonky, and I've got revision 1.1 of the BIOS. So, I'm thinking that the FlashMenu stuff might be a good idea.

PsychoSy
06-27-03, 03:51 PM
Damn, wish I wouldn't seen this earlier.

FleshMenu should work fine as there's tons of posts at Abit USA's Forums of success stories with it. Personally, I had downloaded the 1.4 BIOS update the night before my board arrived and crammed on the drive somewhere. When I installed the board, I did very little BIOS tweaking, saved, and let it boot with a WinME boot CD (die, floppy, die!!)

From there, I flashed it.

saturnotaku
06-27-03, 04:16 PM
Call me old skool, but I've always flashed my functional motherboards (all Abit incidentally) the same way...from KT7A to KR7A-RAID to NF7-S.

I have my Windows 98 boot disk handy...and I copy all the necessary BIOS files to a second floppy. I boot off the floppy, without CD-ROM support. At the DOS prompt, I navigate to my RAM drive, create a directory and copy all the BIOS files there. Then I run the flashing program, let it do its thing, clear the CMOS and power back up. Works each and every time. :D

PsychoSy
06-27-03, 04:34 PM
Technically, you should't have to manually clear the CMOS with Award/Phoenix BIOSes as long as the "/CC" comand line switch is used. Asus, Abit, and Gigabyte usually includes the "/CC" switch in the .BAT file they provide with their Award/Phoenix BIOS updates. :)

When I flashed my NF7-S to 1.4, I didn't crack the case at all. :p

The Baron
06-27-03, 04:37 PM
I just used the FlashMenu thing, worked fine. Might do that with 1.6 later tonight.

PsychoSy
06-27-03, 05:16 PM
FlashMenu, eh? You're more brave than I am! :p

UDawg
06-27-03, 05:47 PM
I just used the FlashMenu thing, worked fine. Might do that with 1.6 later tonight.

DOH! R U nutz?!

The puter gods were smiling on you that day my friend. :eek:

The Baron
06-27-03, 05:55 PM
Worked without a hitch--I don't know what you guys are freaking out about, but if I turn off everything else running in the background, I see no reason it SHOULDN'T work.

saturnotaku
06-27-03, 06:00 PM
Worked without a hitch--I don't know what you guys are freaking out about, but if I turn off everything else running in the background, I see no reason it SHOULDN'T work.

But some of us really don't want to take that chance. Of course, that shouldn't really matter if we overclock our systems because we could just as easily destroy them that way. :p