PDA

View Full Version : Sony's exclusives coming up short?

Pages : [1] 2 3

NaitoSan
06-29-09, 07:45 PM
Hmm, interesting. It appears Resistance: Fall of Man is only game that broke over $1 million units.

http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/kotaku/2009/06/sceasales.jpg

From the day of the PS3's launch, Sony have pursued a bold strategy of constantly launching new, original IP as exclusive titles on the console. But while it's a move that should be applauded on principle, it's just not translating into sales.

Number-cruncher Matt Matthews has, in a report over on GameSetWatch, detailed the sales performance of Sony's new, exclusive titles, revealing a lineup of games that are two-headed beasts: somehow managing to consistently find critical success while being, relative to their exposure and advertising backing, commercial flops.

Excluding games sold as part of hardware bundles, for example, only a single game published by Sony on the PS3 has sold over a million copies at retail, and that's the original Resistance. LittleBigPlanet is close to this figure, but many other high-profile releases - such as Killzone 2, Resistance 2 and Uncharted - are not.

The numbers look even worse compared to sales for exclusive titles on other platforms. Gears of War sold a million units in a month on the 360. Gears 2 sold 1.5 million in the same amount of time. Smash Bros has sold over 4 million units on the Wii, and Mario Kart over six million.

So what gives? Matthews raises the possibility that Sony put too much faith in new stuff. Rather than having Insomniac and Naughty Dog release Ratchet & Clank and Jak & Daxter games, which would have sold, Sony let them first release all-new titles, Resistance and Uncharted, neither of which have so far matched the sales or pulling power of their better-known PS2 platformers

We're also only seeing proper releases in Sony's two biggest series - God of War and Gran Turismo - now. Well, not even now. 2009, 2010. Three, four years after the console was first released. They should perform better than any of the above titles, but you have to wonder whether it has been wise of Sony to release nothing but original titles to date (Killzone aside), when a God of War or two by now may have spurred sales of both PS3 hardware and software.

http://kotaku.com/5303488/sonys-exclusives-coming-up-short

NarcissistZero
06-29-09, 07:51 PM
This must be US only numbers, because I know Killzone 2 sold well over a million in total already.

Either way, dissapointing sales of PS3 exclusives makes sense, as it is in third place in hardware sales. This is a shame though, as I think Sony exclusives are on average the best console games this generation.

ViN86
06-29-09, 07:57 PM
I still think FFXIII, GT5, and GoW3 will drive sales of the console next year.

NaitoSan
06-29-09, 08:13 PM
This must be US only numbers, because I know Killzone 2 sold well over a million in total already.

Either way, dissapointing sales of PS3 exclusives makes sense, as it is in third place in hardware sales. This is a shame though, as I think Sony exclusives are on average the best console games this generation.
Yes it's in US, not worldwide. It's mentioned in original URL (GameSetWatch).

http://www.gamesetwatch.com/2009/06/analysis_was_using_original_ip_1.php

NaitoSan
06-29-09, 08:15 PM
I still think FFXIII, GT5, and GoW3 will drive sales of the console next year.
Maybe and FFXIII is no longer a PS3 exclusive expect in Japan.

NarcissistZero
06-29-09, 09:00 PM
Maybe and FFXIII is no longer a PS3 exclusive expect in Japan.

Yes, but people still rocking a PS2 will upgrade for those massive titles, FFXIII included. God of War 3 and ran Turismo, plus a price drop, will drive PS3 sales like a rocket I would bet.

And I am sure FFXIII will be a compromised experience on 360, at least to some degree.

|MaguS|
06-29-09, 09:28 PM
If Sony drops the price of the PS3 I would think it would pass the X360 easily. How often do you see people say "If it were cheaper I would pick one up!"... all the dam time.

Once FFXIII and Turismo releases (and a price drop is already in affect) the systems sales are going to sky rocket. Those two titles are Sony's "Mario", even if FFXIII isn't exclusive its thought of as a Sony brand now thanks to 12 years of FF exclusivness.

Marvel_us
06-29-09, 10:22 PM
Since those numbers only show US it's not really showing the whole picture. According to VG charts, Uncharted has done about 2.7mil while KZ2 has one 1.7mill worldwide.

Uncharted 2 will be coming out this fall which will be a big hit for Sony as well.

H3avyM3tal
06-30-09, 03:49 AM
And GT5P broke the 3.6 million units.

NaitoSan
06-30-09, 08:39 AM
I don't deny that with a price cut and upcoming big titles will help PS3 a lot but, 360 is also expected to get a price cut and upcoming big titles if not exclusives. This holiday season is going to be interesting.

tornadog
06-30-09, 08:58 AM
I am bored. Can we play some games now!!!!

Albo
06-30-09, 10:23 AM
It says bundles excluded.
Uncharted is in a bundel with the PS3 80GB. And a lot of people have bought that.

Mr. Hunt
06-30-09, 11:36 AM
And I also like how they list GT5P... that is actually pretty darn good sales in the US for what it is... a demo.

ViN86
06-30-09, 11:55 AM
And I also like how they list GT5P... that is actually pretty darn good sales in the US for what it is... a demo.

+1

Sabadin
06-30-09, 08:12 PM

And then people wonder why they're dragging their feet finishing the game lol.

ViN86
06-30-09, 08:24 PM
And then people wonder why they're dragging their feet finishing the game lol.

In their defense, GT games are often very well polished and are hardly lacking.

KasuCode
06-30-09, 08:30 PM
That list is crap. No Metal Gear Solid 4?

ViN86
06-30-09, 08:34 PM
That list is crap. No Metal Gear Solid 4?

Good point, where is MGS4 on that list? That game still sells like crazy.

KasuCode
06-30-09, 08:39 PM
Good point, where is MGS4 on that list? That game still sells like crazy.

Metal Gear Solid 4 sold over 1.3 million units in 1 day and over 4 million by the end of the quarter. At least thats what ive read doing a quick search on like 4 diffrent websites.

Edit: thats world wide im pretty sure.

It sold over 500Million units in Japan alone in the first week.

Mr. Hunt
06-30-09, 08:51 PM
MGS4 isn't on there because these games are published by SCEA, which I am pretty sure MGS4 wasn't. This is basically a list of "first party" titles from what I can tell.

ViN86
06-30-09, 08:53 PM
MGS4 isn't on there because these games are published by SCEA, which I am pretty sure MGS4 wasn't. This is basically a list of "first party" titles from what I can tell.

Got it. I assumed it was "PS3 exclusives"....

Mr. Hunt
06-30-09, 08:54 PM
Oh and I blame NaitoSan for having this dumb "exclusives" title since it is actually only published by SCEA.

NaitoSan
06-30-09, 09:25 PM
Oh and I blame NaitoSan for having this dumb "exclusives" title since it is actually only published by SCEA.
Huh?

NarcissistZero
06-30-09, 09:36 PM
Huh?

Your thread title says "exclusives" when the report you were posting was about Sony first-party titles.

There is a difference.

And considering the total sold numbers of most of those titles, the report is basically meaningless anyway.

NaitoSan
06-30-09, 09:38 PM
Your thread title says "exclusives" when the report you were posting was about Sony first-party titles.

There is a difference.

And considering the total sold numbers of most of those titles, the report is basically meaningless anyway.
That's not my own words, and if people's actually read the article will know it's about Sony only title. So it's not my fault if people doesn't bother to read the whole thing. Also "Published by SCEA" is mentioned clearly on the chart... I'm amazed people didn't bother to see that. ;)

I post whatever I thought was pretty interesting. Of course a bunch of PS3 fanboy will more likely come up with something to say to defend their beloved PS3. :rolleyes: I love my PS3 too so, if you or anyone else think this article is meaningless then blame to the author, not me.