PDA

View Full Version : 5900 Ultra issues in Half Life and 3dMark03 CPU1 Test

ibn24
06-17-03, 07:29 AM
Can anyone else out there confirm this:

BMG and I both got evga retail 5900 ultras over the weekend and got the same results: In 3dmark03 (both 320 and 330) CPU test 1 (flight sim) The demo hangs around frame 1400 for 5 seconds then continues to run. This is aso exhibited in HL as a hang with an audio repeat that also ends and usually allows you to continue play. Underclocking does fix the cpu test 350/750(didn't bother playing HL underclocked all that long)

Messed with voltage, apeture, frequency, fast writes, sideband, and agp 4x/8x.... same thing
any ideas? Any help... Anyone else out there getting these results in the retail boards... None of the reviewers mentioned the hangs, but they all got reference boards not final market boards...

test results of the above and card manufacturer info would be great... (I know they are all the same with a different sticker on the fan, but just for reference)

note: the stuttering occurs regardless of aa settings in OGL.

Thinking it is a driver issue for the 35 but want to see what everyone else has to say....

This occours in the 44.61 leaked drivers as well.

MatiasZ[OC]
06-17-03, 11:09 AM
I wish i had those problems... that would mean i had a FX5900 :rolleyes:

(sory for not supporting nor addressing your problem, but i'm sure some lucky man here will help you out)

Dazz
06-17-03, 11:13 AM
You know what, it's not with only the FX range but also the Radeon range. I've matched my score with a Radeon 9700Pro & FX5800 with the same or faster processor and my CPU score is higher then most AMD 2GHz processors and mines only clocked at 1.73GHz.

bmg
06-17-03, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by ibn24
Can anyone else out there confirm this:

BMG and I both got evga retail 5900 ultras over the weekend and got the same results: In 3dmark03 (both 320 and 330) CPU test 1 (flight sim) The demo hangs around frame 1400 for 5 seconds then continues to run. This is aso exhibited in HL as a hang with an audio repeat that also ends and usually allows you to continue play. Underclocking does fix the cpu test 350/750(didn't bother playing HL underclocked all that long)

Messed with voltage, apeture, frequency, fast writes, sideband, and agp 4x/8x.... same thing
any ideas? Any help... Anyone else out there getting these results in the retail boards... None of the reviewers mentioned the hangs, but they all got reference boards not final market boards...

test results of the above and card manufacturer info would be great... (I know they are all the same with a different sticker on the fan, but just for reference)

note: the stuttering occurs regardless of aa settings in OGL.

Thinking it is a driver issue for the 35 but want to see what everyone else has to say....

This occours in the 44.61 leaked drivers as well.
There's some discussion of this on the www.evga.com forum.

milkymonty
06-18-03, 04:25 PM
mad problems with the NVidia? sounds like something i went through for about two months last year. I did everything from RMA'ing the card to AGP aperature to RAM settings (which i wouldn't advise unless you know what you are doing). the final answer for me was to "Load Optimized Defaults" in BIOS. after two months of pulling my hair out it was an issue of one click. Third party hardware is FUN!

my specs:
p4 2.4 Ghz
2 X 512 Mb DDR
Soyo P4X400 mainboard
NVidia Geforce 4 Ti 4600 128 Mb
Soundblaster Audigy Pro

Hope that helps

jAkUp
06-18-03, 05:48 PM
hmm... i dont seem to get these problems with my 5800

firestartar
06-19-03, 01:15 AM
No, no such problems with my msi fx5900 clocked to 500/950....

zakelwe
06-19-03, 02:09 AM
I am not sure if it is related but freeze and release is a feature of nvidia drivers after 40's so that when they get their limit they do this, rather than freeze completely, maybe it is connected to that ? Your underclocking suggests it might be, so perhaps it is getting hot. Do you have a lot of stuff in your case warming it up ?

To show that take the side of the case off and blow cold air through with a desk fan .. does the problem go way ?

If it does then you know your problem.

Regards

Andy

Ady
06-19-03, 04:28 AM
It's not a problem on a Radeon either as Dazz suggested.

ibn24
06-19-03, 10:03 AM
HEY EVERYBODY

Not to get your hopes up but I ran HL without any AF/AA in 1600x1200 in open GL... could repeat the stutter pause and go at will within 2 minutes performing the same actions. (run swing the crowbar a helluva lot then jump down a large flight of stairs) Locked mid-air jump every time (tested 3 cycles, plus the one test last night when I was just playing and found out this lockup occured)

1600x1200 with all aa and af maxed, no stutters within at least 10 minutes of gameplay...

If it is AF/AA then it hopefully can be corrected by drivers because not all of us want to play the way Nvidia meant it to be played IE ultra high aa/af.

Another good test is slowly drop AA/AF to see when the problem starts. From my discussions with GNielson might be 4x and down.

Bumping up the af/aa makes the card work harder/slower... Could the problem be a driver or hardware bottleneck when the card isn't being slowed down?

AA/AF on max could be slowing the gpu down so you don't get the stutter.