PDA

View Full Version : New i7 build, with problems :( (evga)

Roliath
07-03-09, 12:34 AM
So I got the remainder of my parts here today, minus my gpu's.

I spent the better part of the afternoon getting everything installed.
I'm using Vista 64bit SP1, once its installed I start installing drivers, than essential apps etc..

So i open up CPU-z and noticed that only 4gb of ram is shown as opposed to 6gb, so I shut down reseat and go into the BIOS only to see the same problem the bios is only seeing 4gb.
So i google, search the forums double check my bios settings and move/reseat ram again but still I can only get the board to see either 2gb or 4gb of ram.

So I start testing the individual dimms and I can boot to windows with 1 dimm installed but it appears that slot 5/6 on this evga board are shot.

I have another set of ocz ram coming in tomorrow as well to complete for 12gb however I don't think i will get to use them as the board is being flaky on me. I updated to the latest evga bios, yet still I cannot get anything out of the 5/6 dimm. What really sucks is now I have to rma this damn board :( and be without a rig for another few weeks. /sigh

Any ideas on anything I can try in the meantime?

Jakup, does evga do advanced rma meaning I can still use this rig while I wait on a replacement to come out? swap em out, than ship my defective board?

This i7 seems to clock nicely though even if crippled. 3.8ghz @ 1.3vcore although I still have a ton of settings to go through I rather wait until I get a solid board to go any further. right now its back at stock.

Anyhoo, here are some pictures.

http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/3776/dscf0037wnu.th.jpg (http://img8.imageshack.us/i/dscf0037wnu.jpg/)http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/3144/dscf0053e.th.jpg (http://img20.imageshack.us/i/dscf0053e.jpg/)

The A.L.C. I got for free which is why i'm using it, its not too bad from the few hours i've been using it. Not sure how it'll fair with higher voltage though.

lee63
07-03-09, 12:44 AM
Personally I think you have a bad dimm slot. did you PM jAkUp ?

Did you get a D0 stepping.

Roliath
07-03-09, 12:52 AM
personally I think you have a bad dimm slot. did you PM jAkUp ?

Haven't yet, but I was going to here in a bit. I noticed my drive tray fan wasn't spinning so I had to power down and connect that.

Damn, I was really hoping to having to tear this rig apart to remove the board. I'm gonna try re-seating the cpu tomorrow as i've seen a few threads online where that helped out (dunno how but i'll give it a shot) if that don't work i'm going to look into an advanced rma (if possible) or i may pick up a new board this week.

lee63
07-03-09, 12:56 AM
Do you have the latest bios..just a thought.

Roliath
07-03-09, 12:59 AM
Do you have the latest bios..just a thought.

Yeah just upgraded about an hour ago, still no go. Its about 1 am, and i'm doing integrity checks on my array before I go to bed. I also hoping I could toss in the other 4 tb drives in here but I can't find the lian li drive cage or my other perc5 drive cables! argh! lol

nekrosoft13
07-03-09, 01:20 AM
Jakup, does evga do advanced rma meaning I can still use this rig while I wait on a replacement to come out? swap em out, than ship my defective board?

yes, but you have to register the product, and advance RMA cost little bit.

Thunderbolt56
07-03-09, 07:34 AM
Bad slot. Pickup new board.

Roliath
07-03-09, 10:51 AM
Yeah i'm going to microcenter now to see what x58 boards they have in stock.

nekrosoft13
07-03-09, 10:55 AM
get an evga, great warranty

Roliath
07-03-09, 12:04 PM
get an evga, great warranty

Well they only had the classified and I don't want to shell out $400 bucks for a motherboard, and frys only had the LE.

It also looks like evga are not performing rma's at this time (holidays), so either way i'll have to wait until monday.

I don't see a way to cross-ship on the site though :(

edit: called evga tech support, and once again blown away with them (reminds my why I had a 680/780/gx2's, gtx's they have great customer service). super nice fellows. anyhoo, i'm gonna do the advanced rma on the board after I reseat the cpu one more time for good measure.

lee63
07-03-09, 12:40 PM
The LE is a really good board.

LT.Schaffer
07-03-09, 01:07 PM
nvm

pakotlar
07-05-09, 07:40 AM
So I got the remainder of my parts here today, minus my gpu's.

I spent the better part of the afternoon getting everything installed.
I'm using Vista 64bit SP1, once its installed I start installing drivers, than essential apps etc..

So i open up CPU-z and noticed that only 4gb of ram is shown as opposed to 6gb, so I shut down reseat and go into the BIOS only to see the same problem the bios is only seeing 4gb.
So i google, search the forums double check my bios settings and move/reseat ram again but still I can only get the board to see either 2gb or 4gb of ram.

So I start testing the individual dimms and I can boot to windows with 1 dimm installed but it appears that slot 5/6 on this evga board are shot.

I have another set of ocz ram coming in tomorrow as well to complete for 12gb however I don't think i will get to use them as the board is being flaky on me. I updated to the latest evga bios, yet still I cannot get anything out of the 5/6 dimm. What really sucks is now I have to rma this damn board :( and be without a rig for another few weeks. /sigh

Any ideas on anything I can try in the meantime?

This i7 seems to clock nicely though even if crippled. 3.8ghz @ 1.3vcore although I still have a ton of settings to go through I rather wait until I get a solid board to go any further. right now its back at stock.

Anyhoo, here are some pictures.

http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/3776/dscf0037wnu.th.jpg (http://img8.imageshack.us/i/dscf0037wnu.jpg/)http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/3144/dscf0053e.th.jpg (http://img20.imageshack.us/i/dscf0053e.jpg/)

The A.L.C. I got for free which is why i'm using it, its not too bad from the few hours i've been using it. Not sure how it'll fair with higher voltage though.

thats a good clock. id keep it at 3.8 tbh, if only because there will be almost no difference except a somewhat-shortened lifespan of going on to anything less than 4.2, unless you can really keep the volts down. 1.3v is about what i feel comfortable withfor mine. i wouldnt go above 1.33 actual.

pakotlar
07-05-09, 07:41 AM
yes, but you have to register the product, and advance RMA cost little bit.

the only two weaknesses of their warranty program. i would love to see a transferrable warranty from them.

Roliath
07-05-09, 03:38 PM
thats a good clock. id keep it at 3.8 tbh, if only because there will be almost no difference except a somewhat-shortened lifespan of going on to anything less than 4.2, unless you can really keep the volts down. 1.3v is about what i feel comfortable withfor mine. i wouldnt go above 1.33 actual.

I was playing with the overclock here, i'll have to wait until monday to get my rma processed but at least I can keep the computer online until it arrives. Even with vdroop on in the bios (can't remember the exact name of the setting) when I set the vcore to 1.35 it drops to around 1.33 in Windows and 1.31 under load. I wouldn't mind getting 3.6 stable on stock clocks but she just doesn't have it in her it seems.

I'm not trying to hard right now since the board will have to be swapped out fairly soon. When I build my m-atx i7 rig I'm gonna look for a D0 and swap out cpu's since I don't plan to have that high of an oc on the m-atx box.

Roliath
07-06-09, 05:20 PM
WOOT, rma approved and processed!

Just ordered my G.Skill Falcon's also :)

Roliath
07-10-09, 01:23 PM
Perc5/i's are not compatible with this board :(
I gotta find a new raid card, makes me wish I didn't sell off my adaptec 3405! ARGH!

Anyhoo, I got lucky and my mom gave me an Microcenter gift card out of the blue (i'm sure she overheard that I was building my new box) and I used that with some left over store credit to buy my GTX's this morning.

I was able to get them to price match Fry's price at $319 for each 285. "pn: EVGA 01G-P3-1281-AR" not a bad price imo. Also both had a 35 MIR, so i'll get 35 bucks back since I don't think you can approve 2 rebates.

They also had some D0's in stock! So I picked one up to replace my C0 which i'll probably throw in my upcoming matx build.

Roliath
07-10-09, 09:17 PM
Got the new board, gpus installed, and new cpu.

For some reason, on my "original' x58 I can post at 4.2ghz at around 1.4vcore.

On this rma'd board, I can't even post at 2.88 with any kind of voltage. No amount of tweaking done to the BIOS can get me to post at anything other than stock.

Its weird, and for some reason on every other reboot or so AHCI will enable itself (i never enabled it)

Lfctony
07-10-09, 10:32 PM
Got the new board, gpus installed, and new cpu.

For some reason, on my "original' x58 I can post at 4.2ghz at around 1.4vcore.

On this rma'd board, I can't even post at 2.88 with any kind of voltage. No amount of tweaking done to the BIOS can get me to post at anything other than stock.

Its weird, and for some reason on every other reboot or so AHCI will enable itself (i never enabled it)

It could be the extra ram. Seeing as the previous board had less memory to stress it (more ram puts more stress on the memory controller), you might want to try with less memory. But that would make the ram useless... It's also possible that the 2 cards you have in SLI cause it as well. With my MSI board I couldn't overclock at all with 2 cards in SLI, the system was incredibly unstable... With 1 card, it overclocked fine...

Roliath
07-10-09, 11:45 PM
Well I figured it out, I borrowed an Areca 1210 and a Adaptec 3805 from a friend.

When ANY of these (including my Perc) are installed the middle DIMM goes dead. And I haven't figured out any way to get it to see all the ram in windows. I did however load up Debian Etch on a spare Drive and I was able to see all 6gb of ram. Which rules it out being a hardware limitation. Memtest shows all 6gb installed but in windows (xp 64 and vista 64) only 4gb is addressable.

So I loaded up my old board, and transferred my array to the ICH10R I'm not "that" happy with the performance on the raptors but the terabyte drives run smooth.

Also, i'm only running 6gb right now I have postponed adding the extra ram in favor of getting everything stabilized.

I gotta image the computer right now, and get everything installed and configured. I'll probably play with my overclock tomorrow.
Currently at
3.8Ghz @ 1.31 vcore w/HT
and pretty much everything else at auto (voltage wise)

I'm sure with tweaks 4~4.2Ghz is achievable.

EDIT: Also, i guess part of the bright side of not using a hardware raid card is I can add another GTX for tri-sli (will need to upgrade psu) or figure out a way to add another gpu for physx. (any ideas?)

pakotlar
07-24-09, 12:39 AM
It could be the extra ram. Seeing as the previous board had less memory to stress it (more ram puts more stress on the memory controller), you might want to try with less memory. But that would make the ram useless... It's also possible that the 2 cards you have in SLI cause it as well. With my MSI board I couldn't overclock at all with 2 cards in SLI, the system was incredibly unstable... With 1 card, it overclocked fine...

this is possible, but unlikely unless the ram isn't playing well with itself (har har har). extremesystems form guys and hardocp guys are saying 12GB overclocks well enough that you're not going to be seeing a 1.4GHz difference.

pakotlar
07-24-09, 12:41 AM
I was playing with the overclock here, i'll have to wait until monday to get my rma processed but at least I can keep the computer online until it arrives. Even with vdroop on in the bios (can't remember the exact name of the setting) when I set the vcore to 1.35 it drops to around 1.33 in Windows and 1.31 under load. I wouldn't mind getting 3.6 stable on stock clocks but she just doesn't have it in her it seems.

I'm not trying to hard right now since the board will have to be swapped out fairly soon. When I build my m-atx i7 rig I'm gonna look for a D0 and swap out cpu's since I don't plan to have that high of an oc on the m-atx box.

The D0 I've head is amazing Roliath. Seen 3.6+ at less than 1.2 consistently. I wish you well man. Sorry to hear you're not getting the results you're looking for. I wonder what the problem is. BTW, I also have a significant Vdroop, on my Gigabyte UD5...about the same as yours. I'm sure your CPU has 3.6 in it, keep at it.

edit: Just saw your last post! NICE man. I'm a little under yours, and with only 3GB ram so u kick my butt.

Roliath
07-24-09, 01:07 AM
Yeah so far the system is running great and rock solid at 4ghz (specs in sig), i'm thinking if i can sell my psu i'll buy a new one + another gtx for tri sli. But I'm not sure if money will permit as I have a few other projects on my mind.

So far so good, thumbs up to evga as always.