PDA

View Full Version : Game crash caused PC to not boot

Viral
07-03-09, 08:03 AM
My mate was playing The Godfather 2 on my pc in my sig, left it paused for an hour, came back to a white screen and a repeating sound. Restarted it only to find it wouldn't make it past the RAID scan even though it reports both drives as ok. Not only this but it won't even go into the bios or any of the recovery menus. When it was working normally it would have to do the raid check before entering the bios, so it makes sense that it doesn't go to bios.

I tried clearing the cmos to bypass the raid check and this only made it worse, it still checks the raid, and if I press del to go to the bios it just brings up a flashing white line in the top left instead of the raid check. After 30 secs of leaving it on the white line my vid card spins up to full speed and the comp restarts.

So I disconnected my SSD's disabling the raid in a method that cant fail and even put in a working HDD from another pc. No difference.

Did the godfather make my motherboard an offer it couldn't refuse? :( That's all I can think of right now... motherboard has died on me...

Help and oppinions please!

nekrosoft13
07-03-09, 10:49 AM
software doesn't break hardware, hardware breaks hardware (it self)

Revs
07-03-09, 11:04 AM
Sounds like the SATA/RAID controller died or something. New mobo time? :(

Ninja 6-0
07-03-09, 11:57 AM
The motherboard is definitely the culprit. It's widely reported that the P45 chipset has a high failure rate, and that's one of countless reasons as to why I've never been fond of the little i's big business.

Viral
07-03-09, 08:45 PM
Yay another reason I should have got a X45.

Oh well I might as well sell this rig in parts and buy a Phenom II when I can afford it...

Thanks fellas.

Ninja 6-0
07-04-09, 11:10 PM
You're welcome. I'm sorry to hear that your mobo screwed up.

I recommend going with an AMD CPU, but then I've always been an AMD fanboy (for CPUs only), so my advice may not be the best when it comes to CPUs.

Viral
11-12-09, 04:52 AM
Big update!Ok this sucks. I finally got around to buying a new mobo (Gigabyte X48) and there's no difference.

I had a problem with my True black HS (see other thread), so I cleaned up the mess that made (wasn't much in the case) and kept it away from my new build.

The problem is the same. PC boots fine, after the bootscreen or diagnostic screen (which everything reads fine) it just has that small flashing white line in the top left forever. I try pressing del to go into bios and it still comes up with the line....

WTF IS THIS?! All I can think of is that it must be the CPU. What else could it be??

CaptNKILL
11-12-09, 12:56 PM
Bad ram?

Try one stick at a time.

Viral
11-12-09, 06:11 PM
I think I already tried that with the old mobo. Will try it again tonight though. At least that would be a cheap replacement!

Viral
11-13-09, 12:24 AM
Ok tried each stick of ram individually in different slots. No difference. On the last test the screen signal dropped out after a while of the white line flashing and the vid card fan spun to 100%. I remembered I had this happen every now and then in july when I first got the problem. I also remember I tried my mates geil ram back then and had no luck.

So... all it can be is cpu or PSU. Don't see it being the psu unless it was faulty. It wouldn't have sucked in any of the true black paint dust since its fan draws air through the bottom of the case and even has a dust filter.

Really don't want to burden my mate by testing his cpu and even if it is cpu i'll be pissed if i have to buy another outdated core 2.

grey_1
11-13-09, 12:39 PM
Have you tried booting with only the bare necessities needed to see your bios? Try unplugging everything, see if your bios comes up and stays stable. If it does, plug each device back in one at a time til it won't boot.

Oh, and this is out of recent experience, try another monitor.

My wife's pc had a bricked PSU and monitor at the same time...made me crazy because even after swapping the PSU out it still appeared dead. bad thing was, it was intermittent. I took it to my pc and it worked fine, back on hers it might..or might not.

Worth a shot after all the trouble you've had.

Toss3
11-13-09, 12:51 PM
Ok tried each stick of ram individually in different slots. No difference. On the last test the screen signal dropped out after a while of the white line flashing and the vid card fan spun to 100%. I remembered I had this happen every now and then in july when I first got the problem. I also remember I tried my mates geil ram back then and had no luck.

So... all it can be is cpu or PSU. Don't see it being the psu unless it was faulty. It wouldn't have sucked in any of the true black paint dust since its fan draws air through the bottom of the case and even has a dust filter.

Really don't want to burden my mate by testing his cpu and even if it is cpu i'll be pissed if i have to buy another outdated core 2.

Sounds like a cpu problem to me(check the temps, might be a bad sensor causing the PC to hang). :( Have you tried altering the clocks in the bios? Also try Grey_1's suggestions as well.

Viral
11-13-09, 09:23 PM
Thanks guys I'll try those ideas. I don't have another monitor on me (only laptops in this house) and I don't have another PSU powerful enough to run my video card. But I'll work something out. Hopefully another friend will have a half decent PSU.

Toss3, I can't get into the bios. My motherboard in sig would always do the raid checksum before entering bios (quite annoying when overclocking) and initially thats where it was hanging, which made me think it was the southbridge (sata controller) on the mobo.

When I installed this mobo i initially had everything plugged in but after having the problem immediately unplugged my SSD's and that did nothing. I'll unplug all drives and unnecessary fans and see if that helps. Hmm I could also try running my CPU fan (1900rpm scythe) off a molex connector instead of the 3 pin on mobo, I guess that could be a problem.