PDA

View Full Version : Weird CPU problem?

TheBigOne
07-04-09, 09:53 AM
I am builting a HTPC, problem is I installed Vista installed drivers work fine, then system all the sudden started running very very slow then locks up. restarted it and noticed CPU temps at 65c, so turn off system made sure cpu fan turning was fine? let system cool down, booted system up notice took forever to boot, and did the same thing lockup? so figure motherboard was defective, board was a Asus m2n32 deluxe with 9950 phenom and 8gb corsair dominator with 5-5-5-15 timing 1066mhz @ 800mhz 2.10v vdimm .
So pickup a new GA-MA790GP-UD4H 790GX AM3 ATX Motherboard figure this would fixed the problem because newer chipset, Temps at 32c started lnstalling vista notice took over 5mins to get to the first screen!!! Then try XP did the samething. So removed all but one harddrive took 2 stick of ram out, try different dvd drive, set timing and all voltage still no luck.

Have anyone ever seen this problem, I am assuming a bad CPU, never seen one go bad, but never had this problem before? :banghead:

Mr Bigman
07-05-09, 11:47 PM
It appears to be related to a mass storage device attatched inside case.

I would pull the mass storage device that is usually a card reader and try to run a windows session with it either disabled in device manager or bios or pull cable from usb header all together.

A very common semtim with vista and usb based card readers.

TheBigOne
07-06-09, 10:00 AM
Yep! Turn out to be the card reader disconnected all the USB header, then try to install vista works great, didn't hang anymore, wish I knew this two motherboard ago! "But then again that ASUS M2N32 deluxe board only worked at 1000mhz ht the new one works at 2000mhz ht. So need to replaced that card reader.