PDA

View Full Version : 1 SATA HD and 2 SATA DVDs Boot Problem

technoid
07-05-09, 07:09 PM
I just put a system together that has 1 SATA HD and 2 SATA DVDs.

Motherboard - ASUS P5QL PRO
SATA #1 - Western Digital 640GB
SATA #2 - Samsung DVD
SATA #3 - Samsung DVD

The problem is when I try to install Windows it boots on the Bottom DVD which is on SATA Channel #3 instead of the Top DVD which is on SATA Channel #2. Is there a SATA Boot Priority that I'm not following, like the two DVDs should be on SATA Channels 3 and 4 instead of SATA Channels 2 and 3. I know I could just try it but I wanted to check here first to see if anyone else could shed some light on this. The BIOS only lists one DVD so I can't pick the other DVD. Thanks for any info.

technoid
07-06-09, 12:45 AM
From the view count I guess this is an odd problem that no body else has run into.

This is the first time I built a system that didn't have an IDE DVD Drive. I went ahead and moved the 2 DVD drives to SATA Channels 3 and 4 and now the Top DVD Drive boots the Windows CD. I guess SATA reserves Channels 1 and 2 for hard drives and starts looking at Channel 3 for other devices, and then goes back to Channel 2 if it didn't find a hard drive on it the first time. I looked quite a bit on Google but didn't find the answer there either. At least now it's workling like it should, the Top DVD drive is the boot drive.

Here's the way it is now.

SATA #1 Western Digital 640GB
SATA #3 Samsung DVD
SATA #4 Samsung DVD

crainger
07-06-09, 03:42 AM
Hmm, strange problem. I know some BIOSes will list a boot order for type of device, then that list is further broken down by the actual device in a another list. Are both DVD drives the same make, model and firmware?

technoid
07-07-09, 10:34 AM
Hmm, strange problem. I know some BIOSes will list a boot order for type of device, then that list is further broken down by the actual device in a another list. Are both DVD drives the same make, model and firmware?

Thanks for the information. The BIOS did have both lists you talked about, the normal list that sets the boot order and a second list that shows all the DVDs in the system. I didn't notice the second list before I posted the question but when I went back in the BIOS I seen it and checked it out. It showed both DVD drives in separate entries so I'm sure I could have fixed it there too, but being an old school guy I wanted to force the system to use the first DVD Drive Channel to be the first boot device and not set it in a BIOS setting. I know, a dumb reason... but that's all I got :D So although I'm sure once I found that setting I could have used it I decided to move the connectors to channel 3 and 4, and since that worked I kept them there.

Another thing that concerned me about using a BIOS setting is would Windows ignore it and I'd end up with the bottom DVD drive as the first DVD in MyComputer. Yes, I know you can set that too, but being an old school guy I wanted to force it to be right using the channel they were connected to, like the old IDE days :)

It seems odd to me that they would enumerate them that way, that is putting a DVD on Channel 3 before the DVD on Channel 2. That seems to show a preference to use Channels 1 and 2 for hard drives. But none the less moving the DVDs to Channels 3 and 4 forced the system to put them the way I wanted them to be.

OPPs... Almost forgot. Yes, both DVDs were the same make and model, making it hard to tell which one was which in the list.

On another note. The system I just built was for my sister-in-law. She liked my system becasue it was so quite and her Gateway got really noisy under load. Plus the fact it was an old Pentium 4 D and she needed an upgrade, so she asked me to build a system like mine for her. I just finished it and it's very nice, super quiet and the cpu runs cool using the Silent setting in the BIOS. Now I want to build a system like that for me too :) It's not the best system by todays standards but it's great for her and would be a nice upgrade for me too. But being retired now I suppose I need to save the money to eat. I'll put her system specs below.

CASE: Antec Solo Mid Tower
POWER SUPPLY: SeaSonic S12 SS-550HT 550W
PROCESSOR: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 3.0 GHz
MOTHERBOARD: ASUS P5QL PRO (Intel P43)
MEMORY: Kingston KVR1066D2N7K2/2G DDR2 1066
HEATSINK: Artic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro
DVD DRIVE: SAMSUNG SH-S223F
HARD DRIVE: Western Digital WD6401AALS
FLOPPY DRIVE: NEC 1.44MB 3.5
GRAPHICS CARD: Asus Extreme N6600 Silencer (from old system)
SOUND CARD: Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer
MODEM: Rosewill RNX-56CX