PDA

View Full Version : Prototype revisited

Tuork
07-05-09, 08:29 PM
I had posted my initial thoughts on the game a while back, but I've been playing a lot more and though I'd chip in some more comments. (That, and I'm letting the ol' 'box rest a little :p)

The game is beautifully executed. However, it's important to pay attention to the tool tips, and most importantly, learn from the initial sequence when you have all the powers, otherwise, learning which power is useful for what can become a pain in the ass.

I've been playing on normal, and so far they haven't killed me once, whereas the first time I played it I got my ass handed to me repeatedly.

I don't know how far into the game I am, but I've been running around doing several challenges and "sidequests". So far it doesn't feel monotonous at all. All the missions seem to make sense in the overall story.

Ok... time to play some more :)

Mr. Hunt
07-05-09, 09:40 PM
The side missions were pointless. Why exactly is Alex trying to race across some roof tops faster than a certain time? Nobody knows... but I guess it is vital to regaining his memory.

I enjoyed the main game quite a bit, but if you can, definitely play Infamous instead.

Sazar
07-05-09, 10:46 PM
Reminds me a little of Assasin's Creed, your review that is.

First time out, I was like wtf is this? But once I played it, even the pointless side missions, it made more sense and fleshed out the story a lot more.

Tuork
07-06-09, 01:17 AM
The side missions were pointless. Why exactly is Alex trying to race across some roof tops faster than a certain time? Nobody knows... but I guess it is vital to regaining his memory.

I enjoyed the main game quite a bit, but if you can, definitely play Infamous instead.

Oh yeah, the "racing" side missions made no sense. I avoid those, but the others are alright.

I don't have a PS3, so no Infamous for me yet.

crainger
07-06-09, 02:05 AM
Side missions are good to get XP, then go back and play the story right through with all your awesome powers, if flows better. I love games that let you replay with all your goodies and skills. ::): Like PC version of Jade Empire and Mass Effect.

NarcissistZero
07-06-09, 03:03 AM
I can't find the motivation to pick this up... completed Infamous a couple weeks ago and it was amazing, and now I have Red Faction 3, another open-world game...

Too many great games in that genre now to mess with mediocre ones, I guess. I have found a lot of mediocre games to end up being favorites of mine though, so I should probably play it before I judge. I wish they released a demo.

Lfctony
07-06-09, 10:57 AM
Truth be told, Infamous had a couple of those silly "race past the lights" sidequests as well. But it's a game, racing is fun. Infamous is better... :)

Ninjaman09
07-06-09, 01:18 PM
Truth be told, Infamous had a couple of those silly "race past the lights" sidequests as well. But it's a game, racing is fun. Infamous is better... :)

They served a purpose though, you were recharging satellite relays to be able to see more available side quests on the map.

Lfctony
07-06-09, 03:06 PM
Never linked the two. Cool.

Badboy_12345
07-07-09, 04:13 AM

inFamous is a nerdy kid running around town with crappy lighting powers compared to Prototype... You never feel strong in inFamouse, you never feel like you are more than a mere human, they could just replace all his powers with some grenades and a rifle and it could be the exact same thing. And the upgrades in infamous? come on.. most of them are damn worthless.

Prototype is 10 times better open world super hero game, if not the best of all time.
There is just so much fun you can do. And you feel powerfull and that you can cause mass destruction. In inFamous you cant even do anything about simple steel fences!.
The bad guys could just trap you in a cage made of steel fences and you are ****ed!

crainger
07-07-09, 04:20 AM
I'd say Crackdown is still number one. Main reason, those ****ing awesome agent cars. Nothing compares to getting into one with max driving skills and watching it transform into it's highest level.

Mr. Hunt
07-07-09, 01:15 PM
inFamous is a nerdy kid running around town with crappy lighting powers compared to Prototype... You never feel strong in inFamouse, you never feel like you are more than a mere human, they could just replace all his powers with some grenades and a rifle and it could be the exact same thing. And the upgrades in infamous? come on.. most of them are damn worthless.

Prototype is 10 times better open world super hero game, if not the best of all time.
There is just so much fun you can do. And you feel powerfull and that you can cause mass destruction. In inFamous you cant even do anything about simple steel fences!.
The bad guys could just trap you in a cage made of steel fences and you are ****ed!

Ah ok. So you just played Prototype then. Get back to me when you actually play Infamous.

Lfctony
07-07-09, 02:38 PM
Just finished Infamous! What a blast from finish to end. Brilliant ending twist. Can't friggin' wait for... :)

pakotlar
07-12-09, 04:45 PM
This game is bitchin' awesome. It's not a tight, well-designed game from a modern game-design academician's perspective, but it is wicked fun to play, and ingenious in its own way.

pakotlar
07-12-09, 04:46 PM
Ah ok. So you just played Prototype then. Get back to me when you actually play Infamous.

Dude, I'd love to, dont' have the PS3, although I would like one. GOW III, Uncharted II, Infamous, MGS4, all look fraekin balls in the best way.