PDA

View Full Version : Top TV tuner cards

morkus64
06-17-03, 09:04 PM
I was thinking a TV tuner might be a good move for college and wa wondering what you all recommend... I want something with a remote, and not by ATI (boo... hiss...). If it's pretty (the remote, reciever, etc) that's a bonus.

b00bie
06-17-03, 09:50 PM
I like this one : TV LEADTEK WINFAST "DELUXE" TV2000XP TV/FM MULTIMEDIA CARD
It has a nice remote and I think it's pretty nice and performs well. You can find it on newegg for ca. $50. ;)

And I agree that ATI doesn't make the best TV tuners...:(

Sazar
06-17-03, 10:18 PM
Originally posted by b00bie
I like this one : TV LEADTEK WINFAST "DELUXE" TV2000XP TV/FM MULTIMEDIA CARD
It has a nice remote and I think it's pretty nice and performs well. You can find it on newegg for ca. $50. ;)

And I agree that ATI doesn't make the best TV tuners...:(

I bought that card... or rather the exact same thing built by msi...

the card was so buggy and ridiculous (drivers were terrible) that I just couldn't keep it..

the remote is the size of a credit card... looks cute... irritating to use... do not bring any other IR remote within range of it... else you'll bugger it up.. my experience...

if you dont want to use ATi tv tuners.. I suggest you go for the next best thing... and get a hauppage tv tuner setup...

you can get them from around 40 odd dollars all the way up to around 200 some dollars for the really good ones...

b00bie
06-17-03, 10:37 PM
Originally posted by Sazar

if you dont want to use ATi tv tuners.. I suggest you go for the next best thing... and get a hauppage tv tuner setup...

you can get them from around 40 odd dollars all the way up to around 200 some dollars for the really good ones...

Yeah, I heared their digital TV reciever is pretty good. But i never seen it for myself though. And costs something like $150...

Sazar
06-17-03, 10:43 PM
Yeah, I heared their digital TV reciever is pretty good. But i never seen it for myself though. And costs something like $150...

I had an older hauppage... the IQ was almost the same as the tv tuner the leadtek ships with... cept the leadtek has better filtering (of course... its about 3 years newer :D )

but if you can get your hands on a hauppage that has what you need... go for it...

btw.. this is my stuff :) the reason I got my AIW 9700pro was the remote.. and I know what you mean about wanting one.. my old hauppage didn;t have one...

all I can say is.. pure bliss...

:D

http://images10.newegg.com/productimage/14-102-250-04.JPG

http://images10.newegg.com/productimage/14-102-250-05.JPG

b00bie
06-17-03, 10:48 PM
how is the picture on that AIW? Does it look good in full screen? I was thinking of getting me one of those. But i hear such mixed reviews on ATI video in stuff...:confused:

Sazar
06-17-03, 10:57 PM
how is the picture on that AIW? Does it look good in full screen? I was thinking of getting me one of those. But i hear such mixed reviews on ATI video in stuff...:confused:

the tv tuner is the best I have personally ever used... and I have had tv tuners for about 5 yrs... the iq is quite exceptional... I have analog input to my tuner (the digital box sits in the main room... I am leeching the signal :) but hey.. its free)

with the hauppage and the msi tv@nywhere (it uses same tv tuner as the leadtek AFAIK) I had artifacts on certain channels... less so with the msi... but the current tuner renders the image correctly... full screen is quite good as well.. I had some IQ loss with the old hauppage.. but the new ones should take care of that (the more expensive ones)

I tried out an 8500 DV as well...but it was my m8's... the price was not justified with the performance decrease..

this thing is amazing.. the software is amazing as well :)

but the remote... oh the remote...

/me wipes drool from face...

its RF and you can control literally anything you can program into it :)

btw... did I mention picture in picture ? ok so you need to have 2 ati tv tuners to do it... but its still kewl :)

my computer is my entertainment system so IQ and functionality was very important.. I was fed up using my logitech kb/mouse (wireless) to control the hauppage... and my msi remote kept fux0rin up with the other wireless stuff I have in my room.. the RF does not interefere though... so I can now lie on my bed and do channel surfing and what not...

if you have specific questions about the msi/hauppage or AIW cards... lemme know... if I have had experience in that department I will let you know :)

-disclaimer... my experiences may not be the same for all :)

Gator
06-18-03, 08:36 AM
here is a thread at Rage3d I frequent that will tell you EVERYTHING you ever wanted to know about different TV tuner cards.

http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?threadid=33668071

Some conclusion we got from the thread:

MSI TV cards have crumby picture quality.
Hauppauge TV cards are easy to install and work well overall.
Leadtek TV cards are excellent.
ATI TV cards have buggy drivers and difficult installers. (this does NOT include All-in-Wonder cards)

b00bie
06-18-03, 09:43 AM
Yeah, I don't know about the MSI cards, but I do hear that the Leadtek is a good card. From the reviews from the people who have it, I don't see too many complaints... :)

LTech221
06-18-03, 02:10 PM
Dunno, but the MSI TV@nywhere I had had excellent pic quality, better than the bt878 based chipset cards. But like sazar said, it was plagued with Dirve/Software problems forcing me to sell it, not to mention it was mono. Now Im using an Avermedia TV Studio, similar to the leadtek card that uses the bt878 and couldn't be happier. The pic is kind of grainy compared to the MSI I was using but it worked out of the box ever since. ASUS also has their TV Card, Ive heard excellent things about it, Great Pic Quality, Support, and non buggy drivers. http://www.tv-cards.com check there for reviews on various tv-cards/feedback in their forums.

digitalwanderer
06-18-03, 02:18 PM
I have an old "WinTView98" PCI card from Hauppauge that I STILL use as me favorite TV-card in Blue over an ATI TV-wonderVE and a Leadtek. (The Leadtek is good, but it ain't got stereo out..GOTTA get stereo out!)

Whatever you do, check the fine print and make sure you get a stereo out. (deja vu!) I know it might sound dumb, but the best picture in the world will not overcome the aggravation of mono sound. ;)

Gator
06-18-03, 03:53 PM
I hear ya! My Hauppauge WinTV-Go PCI works great. It's even better overall than my Gainward TI4400's built-in VIVO feature. What is really great about the Hauppauge is they are so damn easy to install and use, even with Win95 and NT4 :eek: ;)

Originally posted by digitalwanderer
I have an old "WinTView98" PCI card from Hauppauge that I STILL use as me favorite TV-card in Blue over an ATI TV-wonderVE and a Leadtek. (The Leadtek is good, but it ain't got stereo out..GOTTA get stereo out!)

Whatever you do, check the fine print and make sure you get a stereo out. (deja vu!) I know it might sound dumb, but the best picture in the world will not overcome the aggravation of mono sound. ;)

Sazar
06-18-03, 06:22 PM
Originally posted by Gator
here is a thread at Rage3d I frequent that will tell you EVERYTHING you ever wanted to know about different TV tuner cards.

http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?threadid=33668071

Some conclusion we got from the thread:

MSI TV cards have crumby picture quality.
Hauppauge TV cards are easy to install and work well overall.
Leadtek TV cards are excellent.
ATI TV cards have buggy drivers and difficult installers. (this does NOT include All-in-Wonder cards)

:)

the MSI card is supposedly decent.. I just had terrible problems with it... and I am not a noob when it comes to hardware...

the Hauppage cards are also excellent.. but they do have particular quirks about IRq issues :) and the older cards driver support is a bit nutty... though the IQ does improve a touch...

the leadtek cards I have not used so I would not know...

the ati tv tuners from a few years ago had issues purely from a driver standpoint... and this is something that most people will point out.. the driver team back then was the pits but over the past year and half or so they have done a great job.. neither of my cards has a problem (am returning my AIW VE to get a cheapy pci card so I can fund my logitech THX speaker set :) don't need PIP anymore since I have a little tv in my room now :D ) but the comments about bad drivers are very valid... so I would suggest getting newer tuner if possible...

hauppage though... they do have a very good lineup :) and I know the threadstarter didn't want ati... so I would highly recommend hauppage...

(I gave my hauppage tv tuner... I think same as what digi runs... free when I sold my 9700pro :) )

morkus64
06-18-03, 07:09 PM
Thanks for all the feedback, WOW! That's the most feedback i've EVER got on here... :) I think i'm going to go with a hauppage, but keep leaving feedback, cause i'm not going to get it for a little while.

Sazar
06-18-03, 07:16 PM
Originally posted by morkus64
Thanks for all the feedback, WOW! That's the most feedback i've EVER got on here... :) I think i'm going to go with a hauppage, but keep leaving feedback, cause i'm not going to get it for a little while.

try to get one that has stereo output... trust me with the speakers you have you will want that :D

none of my previous tv tuner cards had stereo... before my 9700pro... it makes a huge difference...

LTech221
06-18-03, 10:57 PM
Yah, stereo is ESSENTIAL. When I was using the MSI Card it was MONO and the sound quality just sucked, it had great pic quality but the sound was so bad. Moving to the Avermedia card stereo made a world of difference.