PDA

View Full Version : DiRT2 (PC) to receive DX11 support!

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

SH64
07-06-09, 10:14 AM
If old news, delete.

Colin McRae: DiRT 2' (ALL) Delayed on PC to Add DirectX11 Support

With DirectX 11 hardware expected to ship in the second half of 2009, and DirectX 11 coming to home computers with the release of Microsoft Windows 7 on October 22, 2009, Codemasters also announced that the Games For Windows LIVE edition of Colin McRae: DiRT 2 will benefit from an extended development program to take advantage of DirectX 11 and is now scheduled to be published in December 2009.

“While the console editions of Colin McRae: DiRT 2 will retain their September ship date, we believe that the DirectX 11 feature set is too compelling to ignore, especially considering how much more it can add to the visual experience for PC gamers,” said Bryan Marshall, chief technical officer, Codemasters. “As a leader in digital racing entertainment, we are staying ahead of the pack by immediately taking advantage of key new technologies such as hardware tessellation, multi-threading and Shader Model 5.0 to deliver the most realistic, immersive and exhilarating racing experiences in the business. The fusion of DirectX 11 with Codemasters’ EGO™ Engine will raise the technical bar considerably in the racing genre.”

With the introduction of Microsoft Windows 7, DirectX 11 will be made available both as part of the operating system and as a downloadable update to Windows Vista. Codemasters intends to immediately take advantage of DirectX 11 features that add to the realism of the racing environment. Hardware tessellation will further improve the appearance of water and other surfaces as well as crowd animations.

The shader performance of Shader Model 5.0 (SM 5.0) will aid in creating an even richer 3D experience, enhancing key image quality parameters such as depth of field, ambient occlusion and shadows. These DirectX 11 features, and many others, will add the horsepower needed to improve performance.

“We expect Codemasters’ early move to DirectX 11 to place them in a leadership position in developing the next generation of PC games and simulations,” said Rick Bergman, senior vice president, AMD Products Group. “To aid in transitioning to DirectX 11, AMD is providing Codemasters with access to our software engineering expertise in DirectX 11 technologies such as tessellation and shader modelling. DirectX 11 has all of the ingredients needed to take PC gaming to a new level of realism by giving developers tools to effectively utilize the multi-CPU, multi-GPU systems now available to players.”
http://worthplaying.com/article.php?sid=64000

Ancient76
07-06-09, 10:34 AM
Hardware tessellation will further improve the appearance of water and other surfaces as well as crowd animations.

Yes, yes!
And water will be like in Crysis, which is DX9 :)

|MaguS|
07-06-09, 11:40 AM
/yawn

SH64
07-06-09, 12:00 PM
/yawn
Thats ok it will still look good on your PS3 :D

|MaguS|
07-06-09, 12:31 PM
Thats ok it will still look good on your PS3 :D

First one did... and I wont have to wait for the game to release (if I were to actually buy it).

And I was yawning because DX11 is nothing special, remember the hype behind DX10 and nothing came of it?

JohnDio
07-06-09, 01:02 PM
This is a marketing trick and nothing more. I don't expect the DX11 to look so good to justify the delay

|MaguS|
07-06-09, 01:14 PM
This is a marketing trick and nothing more. I don't expect the DX11 to look so good to justify the delay

Exactly, I bet it will look as good as the console with just the PC Advantages (Higher Res Textures and AA). I don't expect any huge change in graphics between the platforms. Codemasters usually has good engines backing their games.

BioHazZarD
07-06-09, 02:07 PM
Crysis is a good example how good dx9 still can get.

Quick420
07-06-09, 02:09 PM
Now it's pushed back to December......arrrggg(lee)

Noriega
07-06-09, 02:12 PM
/yawn

Come on Magus for few years we will see some useless DX11 games and them... BOOM there will be DX12 :headexplode:

What's the biggest fault of DX10/11? That develepers probably won't use their potential.

Xion X2
07-06-09, 02:34 PM
Great news! If they really do explore the tesselation functionality then it could add some benefits in terms of visuals.

DX10 never got tesselation working.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bcalc8UoJzo&feature=related

Misfire
07-06-09, 03:28 PM
whatttttt, now I have to buy a DX11 card aka GT300 and up??? :headexplode:

Logical
07-06-09, 03:28 PM
We wont see the true benefits of DX10/11 untill the next gen consoles are released. Untill then we are stuck with game engines that can be slightly improved for the PC version of most ports.

PC gaming is held back by inferior console power....and thats a fact.

|MaguS|
07-06-09, 04:28 PM

Wrong, PC Gaming is help back because 90% of the PCs on the market can't run high end games worth ****. Blame OEM PC Manufacturers and GPU Makers for their BS...

mailman2
07-06-09, 04:33 PM
After DX10 I could really care less. DX9 is capable of amazing stuff, DX10 and 11 + are nothing more than rich idiots wanting to get richer, it has nothing to do with giving gamers what they want.

Destroy
07-06-09, 07:33 PM

After DX10 I could really care less. DX9 is capable of amazing stuff, DX10 and 11 + are nothing more than rich idiots wanting to get richer, it has nothing to do with giving gamers what they want.

Agree on both here. Lame delay excuse made up mainly so console sales improve and if they do put in DX11, the improvements will barely be noticeable.

Armed_Baboon
07-06-09, 07:44 PM
...As impressive as the destruction was, it looked very ordinary compared to what we got to see next: a simulation of what Crytek hopes Crysis will look like when played using DirectX 10. To try to describe just how impressive the simulation looked with mere words seems a futile gesture, but know that everything had realistic physics (this was especially noticeable in the leaves of palm trees when they were toppled), that the resulting smoke and dust particles in the air shifted with gusts of wind, and that the shafts of light coming down through the jungle canopy showed off these effects quite beautifully. It doesn't seem like much of a stretch to say that comparing the DX9 and DX10 (simulated) versions would be akin to comparing Xbox and Xbox 360 versions of the same game; the simulation really looked that good.

http://au.gamespot.com/pc/action/crysis/news.html?sid=6156499

Ancient76
07-07-09, 04:31 AM
We wont see the true benefits of DX10/11 untill the next gen consoles are released. Untill then we are stuck with game engines that can be slightly improved for the PC version of most ports.

Logical :)

nutcrackr
07-07-09, 05:36 AM
You know, I'd rather they add more tracks, more cars, more modes, more controller support than a feature that will see maybe 1% improvement in graphics. MS seems to be at least trying to get some games to go with windows 7 but meh.

Atomizer
07-07-09, 07:33 AM
Its true alot of games wont make full use of DX10 or DX11 because consoles dont make use of them, however saying DX10 and DX11 are bad is a load of crap, DX10 had the whole vista thing dragging it down
But its also because OEM computers are packed with crap video cards, or worse, integrated crap, developers wont fully make use of hardware features until more then 50% have that capability, heck, DX9 came out around the radeon 9x00 generation, and Crysis came out around the geforce 8x00 gen, and it wasnt until Oblivion and Battlefield 2 that they broke away from DX8(feel free to look up the years of those, I forget, I think Oblivion came in 2006).
I remember it fairly well since I still had a GF4Ti and worked on shaderhacking to make those games playable on PS1.1 cards(though it turned out really popular with FX users due to crap SM2.0 performance, look up Oldblivion in google if interested).
DX10 as I mentioned above suffered due to Vistas bad rep, so DX10 had a very poor adoption rate, not to mention not much was added to DX10 apart from geometry shaders which noones really taken advantage of as far as im aware.
DX11 is in a much better position, Win7 is in a great position compared to Vista, developers are more comfortable with the Vista model now and drivers are much more stable, not to mention even if people decide "you got me with vista, I aint going to 7", DX11 will still be avaliable to them, so the only real problem is consumers buying DX11 hardware.
DX11 does also bring in hardware tesselation and GPU compute, as well as better multi-threading(iirc), so youll see early adoption of DX11 compared to DX10, but of course, we wont be seeing games move away from DX9 until like, 2012, at least

Man I just keep going and going dont I? :headexplode:

Main point is: DX11 does offer stuff for better gameplay, better graphics, and better performance, so saying "DX9 is good enough" is just silly
(I am sure if Crysis ran exclusively in DX11, itd be 10x as fast)

mailman2
07-07-09, 10:32 AM
Main point is: DX11 does offer stuff for better gameplay, better graphics, and better performance, so saying "DX9 is good enough" is just silly
(I am sure if Crysis ran exclusively in DX11, itd be 10x as fast)

Look, DX10 was going to offer gamers better effects and higher FPS. Obviously that never materialized. Sure, you got better smoke and shadows but the effect on FPS was catastrophic. The only game that was faster was Far Cry 2 but it had a well documented strange stutter to it. Even then I didnt notice anything looking any different from DX9 - DX10 in Far Cry 2.

DX9 is good enough because many developers have come forward and said you can do everything you need in DX9 and gamers don't have to upgrade their OS and their GPU to enjoy it. Windows 7 and DX11 is in a better position but again - you expect that everyone will upgrade to Win7 and a new GPU again? For what? The last time we heard these promises it was a bust - do you really trust them this time? I love Windows 7 but it has nothing to do with DX11.

Crysis in DX11 won't be 10x as fast, thats just stupid talk there. Crysis runs like a dog because of the level of immersion and detail. At this point the only thing that will make it run 10x faster is faster hardware, not DX11. I got decent performance out of Warhead with my current machine ~60 fps most the time @ 1680x1050, Warhead was alot more optimized than the original and it had nothing to do with DX10.

The point is you can believe them and fall hook line and sinker, again - drop $400 for Windows 7 and another $500 for a high end DX11 card and still games will run better and look just as good in DX9. I have a feeling until consoles catch up DX11 will still be just something game devs strap on after the port (delayed by 6 months as usual) just to entice PC gamers.

Don't fall victim to the hype. Put the kool aid down and step away from the machine. ;)

FastRedPonyCar
07-07-09, 10:49 AM
Crysis is a good example how good dx9 still can get.

yup... only a small handfull of developers have even scratched the surface of taking advantage of DX10.

Carmack had it right a loooong time ago when he said DX10 was useless.

mailman2
07-07-09, 10:59 AM
And here ya go... Ghostbusters:

PCGH: Will the PC Version of your game offer a support for Direct X 10/DX10.1?

Mark Randel: Ghostbusters uses DX9 to support the widest gaming audience. There is absolutely no rendering technique that can be done in DX10 that cannot be done in DX9 with clever code. As of February 2009, only 24.75% of the gamers on Steam use Windows Vista and DX10. If this percentage goes up considerably with Windows 7, we'll release a DX10.1 or DX11 native version.

fizzelopeguss
07-07-09, 02:54 PM
The problem with dx10 was that it was vista exclusive, half the pc gaming fanbase is probably still on xp, i know i am. I had no interest in vista, but i'm very interested in windows 7

FastRedPonyCar
07-07-09, 03:00 PM
The problem with dx10 was that it was vista exclusive, half the pc gaming fanbase is probably still on xp, i know i am. I had no interest in vista, but i'm very interested in windows 7

taht was part of the problem... I think another part was that it didn't have any instant gratification wow factor to it and I've yet to see anything from DX11 either along this line. the artist renditions for flight sim X were a joke. There was no real time A vs B comparison rendering showing a MUST HAVE feature for DX10.

The fact that it can render what is already there more efficiently doesn't mean jack squat to most people when 3 months down the road there will be a video card that can do the same thing requiring zero effort from the coders to work on the code efficiency.

If graphics card developers only released 1 card per year or one card every other year, if manufacturers wanted to make better looking games they would be FORCED to code more efficiently to better render their games since they wouldn't have this crutch of a new card to lean on to try and compensate for their poorly coded engine. (no I don't consider crytek to be one of these companies... I simply think it was released ahead of its time) The Gambryo engine however... that needs to die a horrible fiery death

From what I have seen, carmack's technology is the only of it's kind that actually makes more out of less. The whole megatexture idea is awesome and no one is giving it any thought but ID. His long video demo on rage and it's dev features is really cool.