PDA

View Full Version : Another i7 Build problem

Pages : [1] 2

Maverick123w
07-06-09, 10:01 PM
I built an i7 machine for a customer a about a month ago.

-foxconn flaming blade gti
-i7 920
-3GB DDR3 1333 (guy wanted xp32... w/e)
-EVGA GTX 275
-640GB Caviar Black
-700 Watt OCZ PSU

Anyway everything was great. The guy even called up to say how great everything was etc. etc.

I got a call from the guy a few days ago saying the machine randomly froze up and a continuous solid loud beep would start about 10-20sec later.

I told the customer to go ahead and bring it in to the shop and I'd take a look at it.

Well I'm kind stumped at the moment.

The problem itself is completely random. It can happen after the machine has been on for 5 minutes or 45 minutes... playing a game, or doing nothing. No rhyme or reason. It just freezes up and has a solid beep.

Foxconns manual/website has proven usless.

The temps for the i7 are hovering in the 30's idle (machine is not oc'ed) Gets up to about 65-70 under prime after 20+ minutes.

So it doesn't seem to be a heat issue.

I ran memtest on the memory and it came back clean. Tried just 1 stick of ram in all the different slots, no problem.

I then decided to comletely rule out any software and load a fresh install of xp on an empty sata hard drive.

The install went fine, and the machine sat for over an hour and didnt have an issue. So I figured at that point it might be a software issue.

I unhook the hard drive and hook the WD up to it and power back on and nothing, now the machine wont post. (If anyone is familiar with the board it was 2 led lights that light up giving different codes, on normal operation it is FF, it wasn't even lighting up now.

I unhook the WD and hook back up the seagate I was testing with and same thing no post.

I look around to make sure I didn't somehow unhook anything and everything is tight.

While looking at everything I touched the back of the 275 and it was very hot.

I took it out and blew it out (not much dust obviously) and on a hunch I put it in the other PCI-e slot and the machine booted up just fine.

Took the card and it put it back in the first PCI-e slot and it booted up again.

So I'm completely clueless atm. The no post thing has me worried it may be the board or the chip.

Any ideas would be most welcome.

AthlonXP1800
07-06-09, 10:57 PM
You probably need to flash latest BIOS for the motherboard and if problem still occur then I guess the PSU to be blame for it.

Maverick123w
07-07-09, 09:32 AM
I forgot to mention I already did flash the bios. I put the psu on a tester and it came back ok, not that that means it is good.

nekrosoft13
07-07-09, 09:53 AM
another vote for PSU, here is example of what I found once.

http://img3.imageshack.us/img3/1082/2009032223h14volt5.png
http://img44.imageshack.us/img44/4124/2009032223h14volt12.png

that PSU was brand new from a store.

john19055
07-07-09, 09:52 PM
I would try a different power supply ,because if it has mutiple rails ,you may be overloading one rail.

wysiwyg
07-08-09, 05:19 AM
+1 vote for the PSU

Maverick123w
07-08-09, 09:20 AM
Thanks for the responses guys, I'm gonna try a new one today. I'll get back with you guys on the results.

Maverick123w
07-08-09, 10:08 AM
Same thing with a different Video card and PSU in there :headexplode:

Gotta be the board or the chip at this point.

wysiwyg
07-08-09, 10:42 AM
download realtemp to see what temp your GPU & CPU gets up to

Maverick123w
07-08-09, 11:09 AM
As I said above CPU gets to 70 under load and idles in the 30's.

GPU gets up to the mid 70's under load

fasedww
07-08-09, 01:14 PM
As I said above CPU gets to 70 under load and idles in the 30's.

GPU gets up to the mid 70's under load

motherboard like you say, swap it out.:)

Maverick123w
07-08-09, 01:37 PM
Unfortunately being a small shop we don't have any 1366 hardware laying around. Thus I want to be positive that its the mobo, so I don't go through a lengthy rma process for nothing.

wysiwyg
07-08-09, 01:44 PM
you are a computer store? and you dont have any other 1366 around :z

fasedww
07-08-09, 02:34 PM
Unfortunately being a small shop we don't have any 1366 hardware laying around. Thus I want to be positive that its the mobo, so I don't go through a lengthy rma process for nothing.

Well thats what you have to do is swap out, to find out. :)

Roliath
07-08-09, 04:26 PM
Try load testing the psu outside of the system, jump it (google it) and keep a fan or two or maybe an old drive on it.

EDIT: I should hit refresh once in awhile, this tab was open for some time before I read the rest of the replies

Maverick123w
07-08-09, 06:09 PM
you are a computer store? and you dont have any other 1366 around :z

A repair shop, and a very small one lol.

Maverick123w
07-08-09, 06:14 PM
Well the machine has been running for a few hours under 100% load w/o issue. The difference is I have a different hard drive hooked up to it now.

I have a hard time believing there is something physically wrong with the caviar black that would cause the board not to post..... but so far its running like a champ w/o it.

I guess tomorrow I'll ghost the WD to a different drive, wipe out the WD and install the OS fresh on it and see what happens next.

Thunderbolt56
07-09-09, 12:38 PM
Beats the hell out of having to RMA the board. Please let us know.

Maverick123w
07-09-09, 02:53 PM
Well I haven't had a chance to ghost the drive yet (been busy as hell) but It's been running since 4pm yesterday under 100% cpu load w/o issue.

So it's looking more and more like the hard drive is the culprit.

wysiwyg
07-09-09, 03:22 PM
wow nice find with the HD, that would have been the last thing on my list

Maverick123w
07-15-09, 03:19 PM
Upon closer inspection, the WD drive looks to have a few small burn/discoloration marks on the bottom of the drive on different contact points.

I have a new drive on the way, the machine has been running w/o issue for several days now on an old seagate 160 I had laying around here that I ghosted their drive too.

Damn hard drive would have been the last thing I would have expected.

Figured I'd throw an update out there if any1 was curious. Thanks again for the ideas guys.

Pistolgrip
07-16-09, 06:40 PM
Sounds like a mobo issue for mine, I bet it will come back within a few weeks. Some mobos just love frying components....

Whenever you have a pc problem that doesn't make sense it's usually the mobo or PSU. Problems with either can ruin other parts thus making you think it's another problem. I've had a few mobos do this and then eventually die a month or two or three later... Provided the PSU is a quality one (anything over $100 and something not bundled with case) you usually sway towards the motherboard. Motherboards are the worst things to replace though.

Pistolgrip
07-16-09, 06:43 PM
another vote for PSU, here is example of what I found once.

that PSU was brand new from a store.

What PSU was this if you don't mind saying?

Maverick123w
07-16-09, 06:54 PM
Sounds like a mobo issue for mine, I bet it will come back within a few weeks. Some mobos just love frying components....

Whenever you have a pc problem that doesn't make sense it's usually the mobo or PSU. Problems with either can ruin other parts thus making you think it's another problem. I've had a few mobos do this and then eventually die a month or two or three later... Provided the PSU is a quality one (anything over $100 and something not bundled with case) you usually sway towards the motherboard. Motherboards are the worst things to replace though.

I would normally lean towards the board, and I am worried about the issue cropping up again in a few weeks..... but we'll see I suppose.

wysiwyg
07-17-09, 03:53 AM

try reading the whole thread before replying