PDA

View Full Version : intel tick/tock: better to upgrade on the tick or the tock?

josiahsuarez
07-06-09, 11:20 PM
I always try to skip a generation before upgrading hardware, but this got me thinking about the Intel tick/tock development cadence

http://xs541.xs.to/xs541/09281/intel_2012_roadmap178.jpg

so basically the tick is a process shrink and the tock is a new architecture. on one hand upgrading on the tick would presumably yield better thermals and a more refined iteration of a given architecture, but the tock would yield a more modern design. I had been assuming that the tock would provide more of a sweet spot for upgrading, but would like to hear other opinions. thoughts?

betterdan
07-06-09, 11:32 PM
Wait for reviews and if the "tock" architecture change isn't a big one that makes a significant difference then stick with upgrading on the tick.

lee63
07-06-09, 11:42 PM
tick and tock (lee63)

pakotlar
07-07-09, 01:49 AM
it doesnt look like sandy bridge is going to be replacing nehalem anytime soon (or superceeding it). it looks like the 1st truly integrated APU. btw, I've been looking around to try to get some dirt on this: does the 256 bit wide register support and avx give any out of the box (no specialization required) benefit for gaming to sandy bridge over nehalem? i'm sure there will be some marginal ipc gains outside of that, but how utilized is the fpu unit on todays cpu's in games?

josiahsuarez
07-07-09, 04:37 AM
AVX won't provide any benefit until software is specifically written to support it. so no improvement for older (current) games, but I would expect it to be well supported in future games. I assume future versions of DirectX will support it also, just like MMX and SSE and even 3DNow were supported

pakotlar
07-07-09, 06:41 AM
AVX won't provide any benefit until software is specifically written to support it. so no improvement for older (current) games, but I would expect it to be well supported in future games. I assume future versions of DirectX will support it also, just like MMX and SSE and even 3DNow were supported

thannks josh. thats what i assumed too, but was hoping increased register space meant greater throughput efficiency. Im in need of a lesson on modern cpu utilization and stalls. ive got a very poor understanding of cpu design.