PDA

View Full Version : New i7 Rig - DDR3 1600 Posting as 1066 Mhz - Help?

Drew Carey
07-10-09, 05:55 AM
Hi guys,
You can find my new PC thread in the General Hardware Section, I just bought and built the following rig:

CPU: Intel Core i7 920 2.66Ghz 8MB Cache BOX
M/B: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD4P
Video: Leadtek GTX260 216 Extreme+ GeForce 896MB
RAM: OCZ PLATINUM DDR3 6GB 1600MHZ - OCZ3P1600LV6GK
HDD: Samsung 1TB 32MB 7200RPM SATA II HD103UJ Spinpoint F1
PSU: PC Power ULTRA-QUIET PSU SILENCER® 750Watt QUAD
Case: Thermaltake V9 VJ40001W2Z Window
Optical drive: LG DVD-RW X18 - IDE 133
Monitor: Apple 20' LCD "Cinema Display"

Everything seems to work great, except my RAM posts as 1066Mhz/1.5V only (instead of 1600Mhz/1.65V). Am I missing something? Is the X58 somehow limited in a way I wasn't aware of?
I double checked with CPU-Z which reports the same thing.
I double-checked the modules, and they are definitely PC-12800, 1.65V parts.

I'm running with BIOS F7.
I can change the FSB:DRAM ratio manually in my BIOS, but I don't feel like this is standard procedure.

Would greatly appreciate some help...

betterdan
07-10-09, 07:31 AM
Sometimes you have to set the ram manually to it's correct speed and voltage in the bios.

Drew Carey
07-10-09, 07:43 AM
Really? It just happens?

Sorry if I'm being dumb, I don't have too much experience with this stuff...

Thunderbolt56
07-10-09, 08:39 AM
You can either set it in the BIOS manually, or you can leave it at 1066 and overclock your CPU a bit. When you overclock the i7, the RAM frequency steps with it. So, if you get your overclock to 3.8ghz, your RAM will be running at 1523 mhz.

To do it, you may be able to use this link as a reference to get you started (not the same mobo, but if you find the same settings in your BIOS it should work the same):

http://www.hardocp.com/news.html?news=MzYwMTAsLCxoZW50aHVzaWFzdCwsLDE=

My only other recommendation (actually if you're going to go above 3.0ghz, it's mandatory) is to get a good aftermarket HSF.

TB

newparad1gm
07-10-09, 09:46 AM
Yup, I have those same OCZ Plats, and even though they are rated for 1600 at CL7, they don't have an XMP (xtreme memory profile), so mobos won't default to their performance settings, and you will have to set the timings and speeds manually in the BIOS.

Drew Carey
07-10-09, 12:22 PM
Yup, I have those same OCZ Plats, and even though they are rated for 1600 at CL7, they don't have an XMP (xtreme memory profile), so mobos won't default to their performance settings, and you will have to set the timings and speeds manually in the BIOS.

Thanks man.
Can you please tell me what settings you've chosen for a stable run?
Did you just up the FSB-DRAM ratio and DRAM voltage?
What's your QPI/VTT voltage? What timings do you have?

I'm assuming you haven't overclocked...

Thanks!

Mr Bigman
07-10-09, 03:05 PM
Its the dafault of the I7 so yea set your stuff to 200 and lower the mplr and start from their lower qpi to lowest and unclock to 3200 and you will see the 1600 speeds but make sure you give the qpi some juice like 1.3v and pll to 1.25 and play with vcore but its tricky for each board.

newparad1gm
07-10-09, 04:35 PM
Thanks man.
Can you please tell me what settings you've chosen for a stable run?
Did you just up the FSB-DRAM ratio and DRAM voltage?
What's your QPI/VTT voltage? What timings do you have?

I'm assuming you haven't overclocked...

Thanks!

With the i7, there is no longer an FSB, so that is no longer a ratio to worry about.

I'm running the i7 EE, and I didn't have to do any overclocking of the processor to get my RAM running at 1600Mhz at 7-7-7-24 timings at around 1.62 V. This is due to my unlocked multiplier and the fact that I don't need to boost the uncore to get RAM running at 1600 (your uncore is twice your RAM speed)

Unfortunately, since you are running the i7 920, you will need to boost the base clock (BLCK) and give QPI and CPU additional voltage most likely to get to where you want. In this case your uncore multiplier is 16, and you multiply that with the BLCK to get your uncore, so initially you are at 133 MHz BCLK, so your uncore is 16*133 = 2.133, and your memory is half that, which is at 1066. To get a 3.2 GHz uncore so your memory can be at 1600, your BCLK needs to be 3200/16 = 200MHz. Your core multiplier is 20, so if you boost BCLK to 200, you are running at 4GHz. Unfortunately, if you don't have a D0 stepping 920 and instead have an earlier C0/C1, this can be very hard to achieve. And going over a 1 GHz overclock generally means you need to have more serious cooling. Fortunately, I think you can lower the core multiplier on the 920 for a more mild core overclock.

Anyone feel free to correct me, as I haven't had much experience on i7 overclocking as I just mess with my unlocked multiplier on my EE if I overclock

Drew Carey
07-10-09, 05:46 PM
With the i7, there is no longer an FSB, so that is no longer a ratio to worry about.

I'm running the i7 EE, and I didn't have to do any overclocking of the processor to get my RAM running at 1600Mhz at 7-7-7-24 timings at around 1.62 V. This is due to my unlocked multiplier and the fact that I don't need to boost the uncore to get RAM running at 1600 (your uncore is twice your RAM speed)

Unfortunately, since you are running the i7 920, you will need to boost the base clock (BLCK) and give QPI and CPU additional voltage most likely to get to where you want. In this case your uncore multiplier is 16, and you multiply that with the BLCK to get your uncore, so initially you are at 133 MHz BCLK, so your uncore is 16*133 = 2.133, and your memory is half that, which is at 1066. To get a 3.2 GHz uncore so your memory can be at 1600, your BCLK needs to be 3200/16 = 200MHz. Your core multiplier is 20, so if you boost BCLK to 200, you are running at 4GHz. Unfortunately, if you don't have a D0 stepping 920 and instead have an earlier C0/C1, this can be very hard to achieve. And going over a 1 GHz overclock generally means you need to have more serious cooling. Fortunately, I think you can lower the core multiplier on the 920 for a more mild core overclock.

Anyone feel free to correct me, as I haven't had much experience on i7 overclocking as I just mess with my unlocked multiplier on my EE if I overclock

Thanks again.
What can't I just change the Memory Multiplier and up the RAM voltage without touching the BCLK? As I am not interesting in overclocking, and would rather not risk pushing the CPU or touching the QuickPath.
What's the result of memory operating at a higher frequency but the BCLK staying the same?

newparad1gm
07-10-09, 06:16 PM
Actually, after doing some reading, it seems that production 920s have unlocked memory multipliers, so you can just set your memory in BIOS to 1600. I'm not sure how the Gigabyte BIOS works, but in my Asus, if you just go to Memory settings, the option to set it to 1600 should be right there. The timings and voltage you need to set manually most likely too, and with the Platinums, running it at 7-7-7-24 at around 1.6-1.65 V shouldn't be a problem, although your mileage may vary. After doing this, run CPU-Z to see if you really are at 1600 MHz, and then run memtest to see if it is stable.

Muppet
07-10-09, 09:39 PM
Thanks again.
What can't I just change the Memory Multiplier and up the RAM voltage without touching the BCLK? As I am not interesting in overclocking, and would rather not risk pushing the CPU or touching the QuickPath.
What's the result of memory operating at a higher frequency but the BCLK staying the same?

You can just up the memory multiplier to raise the memory speed. Most importantly though is that you also raise the uncore clock. It has to be at least 2x the speed of the memory. You will also need to raise the QPI/VTT voltage. I would start at 1.35 volts and work from there.

Drew Carey
07-11-09, 03:48 AM
Thanks for all help guys. I've upped the RAM multiplier and voltage without touching the uncore clock or QPI/VTT - and everything seems fine (I should stress test a little more, but so far so good).

What if I don't touch the uncore clock?
The uncore defines the memory controller and L3 cache right? Am I just increasing latency and not gaining anything?

I've got to learn more about this stuff...

Muppet
07-11-09, 06:20 AM
Your uncore must be on auto and clocked up with your Ram. Otherwise there is no way it will boot, it's just not possible to run the uncore lower than 2x the Memory clocks.