PDA

View Full Version : My GeForce 9500 GT is running slow!

LHalladay
07-10-09, 11:15 AM
I don't know much about all of this kind of stuff, but I do know that my video card is running slow. I have a GeForce 9500 GT and all of the drivers are downloaded. I am using this computer for work and am using Adobe After Effects (A motion graphics program) so it is very important that it works well.

Does anyone have any suggestions of what I could do? I tried searching and came up with this: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1192368&highlight=geforce+9500GT
But I didn't understand anything the person who answered the question said. Like I said, I don't know much about all of this. Could someone help me with a step-by-step or anything? Thank you in advance!

sharangad
07-11-09, 11:15 AM
Try updating your motherboard drivers.

LHalladay
07-13-09, 11:11 AM
Sorry, I'm very new at this... how would I do that?

snowmanwithahat
07-14-09, 07:03 PM
Ok I'm not the definitive answer on either subjects but i have used AE alot and used alot of systems for it....

back when I had my 6800 GT AE seemed to run good, same with my 7800GTX ..... both of which are worse or equal in relative performance to what you're using....

After Effects doesnt' do alot of real-time rendering if I'm not mistaken. It doesn't rely on the video card nearly as much as you'd like... I think the more important question is what is your cpu / memory like?

I ran AE with nothing less than a dual core AMD Opteron (4400+ equivalent at the time) and my Quad 6600.... honestly though more than anything it might be the memory since that seems to be one of the bigger limiting factors in performance... let us know what you're running and we might be able to help

LHalladay
07-16-09, 11:09 AM
Ahh... thanks. That could very well be the problem. I only have 4gb of RAM, which could be an issue. On every other machine, I've never had a problem like this with the RAM Preview in After Effects. I've also used computers with less memory, it seems, and have never had this jumpy, glitchy feel to it when I'm trying to view it. I can export it out to Quicktime Pro and it plays perfectly fine and smooth, so perhaps it's the RAM. I have Vista 32-bit and was told that I could not have more ram without going to 64-bit, but that my computer's insides probably aren't all 64-bit compatible. Honestly, I just wish my company would have gotten a nice Mac Pro... But since they didn't, is there anything I can do?