PDA

View Full Version : UPS Question

musman
07-11-09, 01:30 PM
I am looking into buying a UPS. What should I look for? Are the wattage ratings the MAX output to your PC? For instance. I have a 650watt power supply. Do I half to get a UPS that is rated at 650wats or above? I know my PC only takes up about 500watts on full load....if that much. One of these days I will be adding a second GPU and a bigger power supply.

Thanks!

seeker
07-11-09, 04:25 PM
The actual load is the factor, not the size of the PS, but I strongly recommend buying the largest PSU that you can afford. You do not want the PSU to always be at max, and as you have pointed out, you will be upgrading the PC over time. Besides, the load ratio also determines how long the PSU can power the PC, in case of a blackout, and that is what a PSU is really about.

musman
07-11-09, 05:29 PM
I understand. You can have a 1000watt PSU and it could me only using 150watts depending on load,equipment...ect.

This is the one I really want. But I was trying to not spend that much.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16842102048

seeker
07-11-09, 05:46 PM
I have only owned one PSU (as shown in the signature), so I can't really compare one to another, but the one thing that I have to contend with on mine, is the number and type of outlets available. A thing that I noted about the one in your link, is that it only has one outlet spaced for a transformer, which I wouldn't care for. I didn't read closely enough to know whether that unit does a backup of data on blackout, like mine does, but I'm not too sure that is important, because that feature has gone awry on mine anyway, and just serves as a power backup.