PDA

View Full Version : Dual 7200.12 TB HDs need RAID help

RaidenWoW
07-12-09, 11:53 AM
I want to know what's the easiest (and safest) to RAID my new terabyte seagate barracudas.

I've heard of RAID0 and RAID1 but what's the safest and best way to RAID these hard drives for normal use?

(two of these: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148433)

newparad1gm
07-12-09, 01:47 PM
It depends on if you want speed or data security. RAID 0 is striping the two drives, so it becomes a single logical 2 TB drive, and data gets striped across the two, so parallel access speeds up your reads and writes. Unfortunately, if one drive fails, all your data is lost.

RAID 1 is mirroring, which is what it sounds like, you only have a 1 TB logical drive, but the data you put on it gets mirrored across the two physical drives, so if one drive fails, you do not lose any data, as the data is already on the other working drive.

Unfortunately with only two drives, these are your only two RAID choices. If you get more and more drives and a RAID controller, more choices open up that can offer both speed increases and data security at the same time.

RaidenWoW
07-12-09, 02:42 PM
Thank you very much for the information. I was hoping that there would be a type of RAID where it copied the first half of a file on one drive and the 2nd half on the 2nd drive and eventually filled in the rest of the parts when the drives were idle but I don't know if that technology is available yet.

krokodil
07-13-09, 03:58 AM
Don't mix'n'match RAID schemes. You might be in for a big bad surprise.
There is a discussion going on @ XS how that can fail (Edit: ... and he used RAID-0 and RAID-5 with 3 drives).

I for one might have to reconsider my decisions going with Intels Matrix-RAID and give that at least in case of my latest build that is not yet fully operational another thought and some more tests.

(Edit: I'm not a gamer. I use my computers for work which is why I'm sort of upset that X58 / Core i7 by default does not support ECC and I might have to buy a new mobo, cpu and memory to have that system secured to my standards).

RaidenWoW
07-13-09, 07:39 AM
I guess I'm going to go with RAID0 and have my data backed up weekly. My reason for doing this is because I never do any work on my gaming pc that needs saving and the only thing I use it for is gaming and so the data changes seldom.

Does this sound like a good idea to you all? If so what sort of backup solution should I use?
I'm guessing something like this: Back up data using acronis image thing to a 1tb portal hard drive each week, scheduled backup.

Edit: I wish I could do an automatic RAID 0+1 with 2x1TB disks and 1x2TB disk and have the data backed up slowly on the 3rd (2tb) disk but that's wishful thinking.

newparad1gm
07-13-09, 10:19 AM
If you want to get more hard drives, instead of getting a 1x2 TB HDD like in your previous post, get another 1 TB HDD and use RAID 5. Some motherboards I think support RAID 5 (My Asus P6T does at least) so you don't have to get a special RAID controller for it. With 3x1 TB HDD RAID 5 array, you'll get a 2TB logical drive. Data will be striped across the drives, as well as parity info as well, so a 3 drive array can tolerate the loss of one drive and rebuild your data from the other two. Your read speeds will probably be as good as RAID 0, but your writes won't be as good due to the additional overhead of writing the parity info.

More info on RAID 5 here: http://www.pcguide.com/ref/hdd/perf/raid/levels/singleLevel5-c.html