PDA

View Full Version : Who's making the switch to Windows 7?

Pages : [1] 2

Mike89
07-16-09, 01:23 AM
BTW, there should be a Windows 7 forum section here.

So who's making the switch and what are you switching from?

I skipped Vista completely cause there was nothing compelling me to switch from my trusty XP Pro. Just wasn't anything there that particularly attracted me. Direct X 10 wasn't a good enough reason for me and has turned out to be a bust as far as I'm concerned. I still don't feel I've missed anything playing my games without it. Direct X 11 looks promising but my vid card can't do that anyway.

Started thinking about Windows 7 and about finally trying out 64 bit so decided to take the plunge and did the pre-order (upgrade Win7 Pro at the special price). At least I won't be accused of being a dinosaur anymore. The tweaking side of me is looking forward to it in a way but I'm also apprehensive about possible programs I may not be able to use anymore that I still really like and don't want to do without. Everything I use on my computer is still very important to me and there is nothing on it that I do not want. Hopefully that "XP Mode" thing will take care of any program compatibility issues. Will have to see what's in store for me there. To tell the truth, I could still hang on to XP Pro for a couple more years and still be quite happy (don't see any games in that time that I would be suffering playing with what I have now). More out of curiosity than anything else, I'm going to try out something new to see what's on the other side.

Hopefully the Windows 7 experience will be one of those, "dude what the hell took you so long" deals like it was when I finally switched from Windows 98 to XP.

nekrosoft13
07-16-09, 01:34 AM
win7 forum is not necessary, just rename this forum to XP/Vista/7 Forum, or simply Windows forums.

I will be switching from Vista Ultimate to 7 Ultimate.

Zelda_fan
07-16-09, 01:49 AM
Windows 7 is basically the ****.

Anyone who doesn't switch is either broke or a moron.

You can download the RC free from Microsoft's site. Try before you buy.

Mike89
07-16-09, 02:01 AM
win7 forum is not necessary, just rename this forum to XP/Vista/7 Forum, or simply Windows forums.

That'll work.

Anyone who does switch is either broke or a moron.

Heh heh, well that's pretty straight out, isn't it dude? I guess there's nothing left to be said then.

Just so you know, I don't consider myself either of those (though my wife may differ on that).

When I give it a spin, I'll be sure to post if I ended up being a moron or not. I could admit it if that ends up being the case. :cool:

RAY16
07-16-09, 11:07 AM
Windows 7 is nice, but not enough of a leap for me to rush out and upgrade from Vista Business x64. I'll get it eventually, but I'm not in a hurry.

Marvel_us
07-16-09, 11:23 AM
Going from Vista x64 business to whatever version MSNDAA offers.

MSNDAA ftw!

Bigbuck
07-16-09, 11:28 AM
Unless MS has another $50 Home Premium upgrade deal I won't be getting it anytime soon. I have a copy of retail Vista Ultimate and laptop OEM Vista Home Premium x32. To be honest I'm still kicking myself for paying so much for Vista Ultimate. Until I get a new PC, which might not be until Windows 8 comes out :(, I won't be buying it.

ViN86
07-16-09, 11:33 AM
Unless MS has another $50 Home Premium upgrade deal I won't be getting it anytime soon. I have a copy of retail Vista Ultimate and laptop OEM Vista Home Premium x32. To be honest I'm still kicking myself for paying so much for Vista Ultimate. Until I get a new PC, which might not be until Windows 8 comes out :(, I won't be buying it.

Why didn't you go for the reduced price upgrade?

Airbrushkid
07-16-09, 12:04 PM
I might try to get it but why when XP and Vista works fine for me.

Revs
07-16-09, 12:13 PM
I've installed 3 beta versions so far, and each have had the odd niggle, but the main problem for me is companys such as Belkin being a bit slack on drivers. I'm hoping by the release date I'll be able to get the drivers I need. If so I'll be getting one of the x64 OEM versions. It'll be interesting to see how much they charge for it though. I got Vista HP x64 OEM for about 55.

nekrosoft13
07-16-09, 12:16 PM
I've installed 3 beta versions so far, and each have had the odd niggle, but the main problem for me is companys such as Belkin being a bit slack on drivers. I'm hoping by the release date I'll be able to get the drivers I need. If so I'll be getting one of the x64 OEM versions. It'll be interesting to see how much they charge for it though. I got Vista HP x64 OEM for about 55.

driver for what? most vista drivers are perfectly fine in 7, there are only few that don't work.

Bigbuck
07-16-09, 12:16 PM
Why didn't you go for the reduced price upgrade?

I didn't really think of it at the time and by the time I came to actually wanting to buy it, it was too late.

betterdan
07-16-09, 12:25 PM
Windows 7 is basically the ****.

Anyone who does switch is either broke or a moron.

You can download the RC free from Microsoft's site. Try before you buy.

Did you mean anyone who doesn't switch?

Thunderbolt56
07-16-09, 12:33 PM
Vista Home Premium x64 here and it's smooth as butter. I have a few friends that have pre-ordered Win7 and if it runs the proggies that matter to me better than my Vista install, I'll make the switch. There's no need for me to be an early adopter...so I'll wait.

zoomy942
07-16-09, 12:49 PM
my wife will use it on her msi wind u120. she has the RC now and she loves it. I will stick with linux for now. but windws 7 is a great OS for sure

betterdan
07-16-09, 02:20 PM
I bought the Home Premium upgrade disc for my desktop computer which is running Win 7 RC now and I may also get it for my wife's laptop although it is running pretty decent with Vista Home Premium SP2

Zelda_fan
07-16-09, 02:23 PM
Did you mean anyone who doesn't switch?

haha yeah

RoachMojo
07-16-09, 04:56 PM
I'll switch. I dual boot XP and vista ultimate and ultimate (or vista in general) is just...confusing. So much is moved around and changed I had a difficult time adjusting.

Here's hoping Windows 7 doesn't suck. At least I'll get it for $50 like I did VU. Buddy of mine works at M$. :D

ViN86
07-16-09, 05:03 PM
I'll switch. I dual boot XP and vista ultimate and ultimate (or vista in general) is just...confusing. So much is moved around and changed I had a difficult time adjusting.

Here's hoping Windows 7 doesn't suck. At least I'll get it for $50 like I did VU. Buddy of mine works at M$. :D

People really found Vista that confusing? :wtf:

Pretty much everything was in the exact same place. And if it wasn't, it was in a submenu under the original place...

betterdan
07-16-09, 05:15 PM
I didn't like how they moved stuff in Vista either. I really didn't mess with Vista much since it's only on our laptop and I don't really like laptops all that much so I don't mess with them either.
I have gotten accustom to where Win 7 moved things pretty quickly. Is it much different than Vista for those who have used both a lot?

Sazar
07-16-09, 05:19 PM
Vista and Windows 7 share a lot of features in their interface.

The vast majority of anti-Vista stuff I read is just b.s. apparently, regurgitated from blogs and/or misguided views on how things work.

However, I do like the new stuff in Win 7 and will be there when it is released on MSDN :)

ViN86
07-16-09, 05:34 PM
Vista and Windows 7 share a lot of features in their interface.

The vast majority of anti-Vista stuff I read is just b.s. apparently, regurgitated from blogs and/or misguided views on how things work.

However, I do like the new stuff in Win 7 and will be there when it is released on MSDN :)

Agreed 100%

nV`andrew
07-16-09, 07:02 PM
I wish I would've gotten pre-order. I installed the RC yesterday and I'm in love with Windows 7.

Tuork
07-16-09, 07:17 PM
I wish I would've gotten pre-order. I installed the RC yesterday and I'm in love with Windows 7.

What build are you currently running? All smooth sailing or have you had any troubles?

I'm currently downloading the x64 version from Microsoft's website, and I plan on installing it tonight.

NaitoSan
07-16-09, 07:17 PM
Going from Vista x64 business to whatever version MSNDAA offers.

MSNDAA ftw!
+1

I'm glad my school gets MSDNAA. Saves me some money, especially on full version since it's free. :D