PDA

View Full Version : New stuff on the way

mcolbourn
07-16-09, 09:12 AM
Well now that I got a job I thought I would spend a little bit of what I have left from my redundancy money, and have gone for an I7 setup with the following stuff

Intel Core i7 920 D0
Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R
Patriot Viper 6GB DDR3 PC3-12800
Scythe Mugen 2

I went for the cheap board because I know that USB3 SATA3 and PCIE3 are all comming in the next 12 or so months and don't think that I will be needing more than 6GB of RAM before then.

It should all arive tommorrow.

Maverick123w
07-16-09, 09:34 AM
Very nice

Thunderbolt56
07-16-09, 10:00 AM
The UD3R is cheaper in price, but it's an excellent performer. That rig should last you well into 2011 and will have enough of an upgrade path despite new architecture.

1. USB3 will be backwards compatible...as has always been the case with USB.

2. PCIX 3.0 will be irrelevant for at least another year (and like USB will accept PCIX 2.0 hardware)

3. SATA3 is like #1 & #2 above.

You'll not only be fine, you'll be glad you did it. My i7 is THAT good.

TB

Pistolgrip
07-16-09, 06:27 PM
Funny, I've got an order on the way arriving today with the same stuff, just different RAM. Hopefully the Gigabyte mobo is ok for a "cheap" motherboard, it's done well in reviews. BTW the board isn't limited to 6GB/memory, unless I'm reading you wrong.

4GB dimms seem to be quite rare though.

mcolbourn
07-17-09, 02:24 AM
I know it can have 16GB if you used 4 4GB dimms but that would be expensive and I am guessing that the 4GB ones would carry a high price well into the near future

Thunderbolt56
07-17-09, 07:07 AM
I know it can have 16GB if you used 4 4GB dimms but that would be expensive and I am guessing that the 4GB ones would carry a high price well into the near future

Not to mention the fact that that much RAM would be wasted for at least the next year. I'm using 6GB and have yet to utilize all of it under a wide array of tests and games.

mcolbourn
07-17-09, 02:55 PM
Damm it the stuff was not sent for some reason so they are sending it out for tommrrow for a saturday delv at no extra cost.

Pistolgrip
07-17-09, 09:28 PM
Make sure you grab the latest BIOS off tweaktown for it if you get the 1.6 revision! FC5 seems to be the latest.

You can't disable hyperthreading (constant rebooting and corrupt bios if you try ) and there are various other issues with the standard FB bios, and you can only grab the FA Bios off gigabyte's site which shows how much faith they have.

mcolbourn
07-23-09, 10:11 AM
Well after a lot of problems with getting the stufff delevered it arrived

http://i918.photobucket.com/albums/ad25/mcolbourn/stuff.jpg

Here my layout from before with the Q6600

http://i918.photobucket.com/albums/ad25/mcolbourn/before.jpg

and now for the new setup

http://i918.photobucket.com/albums/ad25/mcolbourn/after.jpg

I have not started overclocking it yet, I will leave it a day or so just to make sure all works fine and then going to try for 4ghz or at least 3.8.

bob saget
07-23-09, 02:21 PM
:thumbsup:

TheBigOne
07-23-09, 02:25 PM
I have not started overclocking it yet, I will leave it a day or so just to make sure all works fine and then going to try for 4ghz or at least 3.8.
It will take a up to 200 hours and several thermal cycles to achieve maximum particle to particle thermal conduction and for the heatsink to CPU interface to reach maximum conductivity, dont overclock right away give it two week at lease.

Good job :thumbsup:

CaptNKILL
07-23-09, 03:18 PM
It will take a up to 200 hours and several thermal cycles to achieve maximum particle to particle thermal conduction and for the heatsink to CPU interface to reach maximum conductivity, dont overclock right away give it two week at lease.

Good job :thumbsup:

I don't think that's necessary, but I guess it can't hurt.

I usually overclock my CPU after a few hours or a day of usage and I've never had a problem.

betterdan
07-23-09, 04:35 PM
I overclocked mine on day 1 with the stock intel heatsink/fan. It ran a little warm so I didn't overclock it much but as soon as I got the better heatsink/fan on a week later I pushed it up. No need to wait, when the thermal paste cures it's not a huge difference in temps anyways.

mcolbourn
07-24-09, 02:48 AM
I don't think that's necessary, but I guess it can't hurt.

I usually overclock my CPU after a few hours or a day of usage and I've never had a problem.

yep that what I do just to make sure everything is ok and does not break right a way

Thunderbolt56
07-24-09, 07:05 AM
I ran mine stock for maybe two days before ramping it up. Only because I wanted to see what it would do in benchmarks and games at stock speeds to get a baseline (us old scientists have this thing about forming a constant in experiments :o).

lmao...in addition to that, I went from stock straight up to 3.8 in my first step. I was pleasantly surprised when it not only botted, but ran 8 instances of Prime95 stable for 11 hours.

I turned off turbo and speedstep, set Dram to 1.66v, set Vcore to 1.35 and made sure my 1600mhz RAM was only reading @ 1066 (to allow it to step with the Bclck), hit start and off it went like a demon.

Needless to say, I was sold. :D

Maverick123w
07-24-09, 10:14 AM
Well now that I got a job I thought I would spend a little bit of what I have left from my redundancy money, and have gone for an I7 setup with the following stuff

Intel Core i7 920 D0
Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R
Patriot Viper 6GB DDR3 PC3-12800
Scythe Mugen 2

I went for the cheap board because I know that USB3 SATA3 and PCIE3 are all comming in the next 12 or so months and don't think that I will be needing more than 6GB of RAM before then.

It should all arive tommorrow.

I was just about to make a post asking what board/ram/cooler to get and I noticed you had exactly one of the combos I was looking at.

So if you don't mind me asking, how's the board running? Is the Scythe as good for the $$ as it seems?

I want to hit 4ghz, will that board do it with plenty of airflow? Thanks