PDA

View Full Version : Using Opticals on Intel Ich10 southbridge or Jmicron SATA

Mr Bigman
07-20-09, 10:37 PM
Got the 6 black and 2 red sata ports on the x58 and had to use six of the regualr ones for raids and using the opticals on the 2 Jmicron sata headers.

Is their a performance hit using the red ones over the black ones or is the speed the same?

I noticed when installing games that it takes a big longer to load them but it might be me cuz i felt qucker loading when i had the drives on the intel controller.

And their is no udma setting under use on jmicron controller like their was for intel so is it ok and i got the drivers installed from jmicron too.

Mr Bigman
07-21-09, 12:42 PM
???

d2thez
07-21-09, 01:10 PM
If your hard drives are in IDE mode, then by all means use the ICH10 controllers. However, if they are in AHCI or RAID you may have trouble since many optical SATA drives don't like those modes.

Some boards allow you to set the mode per individual SATA controller. Not sure about yours.

Mr Bigman
07-21-09, 03:00 PM
I got the 2 LG drives on the Jmicron tabs and seem ok but their is no windows setting for those like ide drives.

I use the disks on the ICH10 controller and opticals on the red ones so in ACHI mode.

TheBigOne
07-21-09, 04:49 PM
I got the 2 LG drives on the Jmicron tabs and seem ok but their is no windows setting for those like ide drives.

I use the disks on the ICH10 controller and opticals on the red ones so in ACHI mode.
I would put your harddrives on the jmicron controller since it hardware raid controller, and put the cdroms on the intel controller you will see a different between tranfer rates on different controller. "Intel is only a software controller"

Mr Bigman
07-21-09, 05:30 PM
Yea but you have 6 sata dins vs 2 sata dins on the Jmicron and Jmicron isn't your flagship name either like Intel or even Promise or adaptec either.

TheBigOne
07-21-09, 05:56 PM
Yea but you have 6 sata dins vs 2 sata dins on the Jmicron and Jmicron isn't your flagship name either like Intel or even Promise or adaptec either.Jmicron will be better in this case, just put your main OS drives which would be two drives assuming you are raid 0 on the Jmicron and all the other drives on the Intel or better yet get a PCI-E hardware raid card. put it in you three PCI-E 16X slot since your not going tri SLI, unless you have something taking the slot up.

Mr Bigman
07-21-09, 06:15 PM
You always want to use a named branded controller cuz jmicron is sorta like a generic whereas the intel one is a name you can trust and better supported.

d2thez
07-21-09, 08:30 PM
Do NOT under any circumstances put your Harddrives on the Jmicron. Their controllers are 'OK' at best. Intel makes great SATA/RAID controllers.

Mr Bigman
07-21-09, 08:55 PM
Plus a smoother installation aswhell.

Not wurried about it now but in Vista their is no options to change udma options unlike before with it used on intel sata.

TheBigOne
07-21-09, 09:13 PM
Do NOT under any circumstances put your Harddrives on the Jmicron. Their controllers are 'OK' at best. Intel makes great SATA/RAID controllers. After doing some reading that Jmicron controller does sucks, use the Intel.

bacon12
07-21-09, 09:19 PM
For opticals they should be fine on the jmicron.

Mr Bigman
07-21-09, 09:44 PM
Hey thanks alot guys for the help .

things are just fine but my main concern right now is the family atm.