PDA

View Full Version : AMD chipset RAID driver/Vista64 - can i SOMEHOW load it without the floppy BS?

ragejg
07-22-09, 02:53 AM
I'm miffed.
Got my phenom II rig running. :D
But RAID setup has been a thorn in my buttock.

AMD 770 chipset on an Asus M3A
2x Maxtor DiamondMax 9's (ATA-133), 2x PATA-SATA adpaters

I DL'ed the driver set from Asus, which contains x86 and x64 versions of the AHCIx64s.inf file, as well as the AsusSetup exe file, which obviously is for driver updates when you already have an OS installed.

I tried with a USB drive and a floppy.

I get to Vista x64 setup where I'd usually plug in a usb disc with the driver... and I do that, and x64 setup does not likey any of the files.

I try it with a floppy made with the makedisk utility. No go. It sees the driver files but says that they are unsigned 64 bit drivers, and Windows won't use them.

Argh! Why is RAID 0 so much of a PITA!!?

So what am I doing wrong?

Is there a trick I don't know?

Sometimes I think I ought to just get a new more modern drive but these two do pretty good in RAID0, and 240gb on my media machine is fine, especially with a 500gb external hooked up.

bacon12
07-22-09, 09:23 AM
Maybe someone who has set up an amd raid will chime in and let you know which file is needed, but it has been my experence with both intel and nvidia that the vista installer is sometimes flakey when it comes to loading them.

I have had to try three and four times to get things to continue like they should. Also make sure your hdds are in the correct sata ports, and you bios is configured correctly.

ragejg
07-22-09, 09:26 AM
Why would x64 setup think this driver is unsigned?

Gaaah!!

Is there a workaround? Can I get to a command prompt somehow during setup and disable checking for unsigned drivers?

Or should I try a different version?

bacon12
07-22-09, 09:34 AM
I don't think I have seen it reject because of an unsigned driver. Double check you have the amd raid enabled in the bios it will reject anything during install if it isn't. With gigabyte and intel it is not enabled by default.

ragejg
07-22-09, 09:48 AM
The BIOS is apparently set properly (SATA is set to RAID), the config utility recognizes the array properly...

and the cat, inf and sys files are in the folder. It seems to me that the driver IS signed.

wtf

ragejg
07-22-09, 09:51 AM
So maybe if I hit shift-f10 to get to a command prompt and hit bcdedit /set loadoptions DDISABLE_INTEGRITY_CHECKS and then go back into setup I might be able to get by with an unsigned driver.

A big MAYBE.

:(

bacon12
07-22-09, 10:08 AM
As long as vista is pre sp1 it will work. They disabled that command with sp1.:o

ragejg
07-22-09, 10:13 AM
well, I'm able to type that command in the boot options, and it doesn't b1tch about it, but once I get to the drive setup area again, it still won't allow unsigned drivers, so it doesn't work.

ragejg
07-22-09, 10:15 AM
crap!!! my disc is vista ultimate x64 SP1!!!

what's a guy to do??? This suxx0rz!

ragejg
07-22-09, 10:19 AM
Could I hold the f8 key during install? Exactly when would I need to be holding this down?

I see mention of it here: http://www.xyhd.tv/2007/07/how-to/running-unsigned-drivers-in-vista-service-pack-1-sp1/

PeterJensen
07-22-09, 12:38 PM
Could I hold the f8 key during install? Exactly when would I need to be holding this down?

I see mention of it here: http://www.xyhd.tv/2007/07/how-to/running-unsigned-drivers-in-vista-service-pack-1-sp1/

Use windows 7 mate :)

d2thez
07-22-09, 01:48 PM
Did you try the drivers straight from AMD?

http://game.amd.com/us-en/drivers_catalyst.aspx?driver=Integrated/vista32-chipset

They are version number: DriverVer=03/17/2009, 3.1.1540.127

ragejg
07-22-09, 04:17 PM
I saw a forum post suggesting that MS made a bad run of x64 SP1 discs early on. Hmm, maybe I might have one. It's an MSDN disc dated Jan or Feb '08.

TheBigOne
07-22-09, 06:31 PM
It a sb600 southbridge This sure work

http://www.gigabyte.us/Support/Motherboard/Driver_Model.aspx?ProductID=2722&ost=windows+vista+x64+(64-bit)#anchor_os

Steps
1. download last driver "SATA RAID" I know you have a Asus board It the same driver
2. Install winzip
3. Click on open file, and on bottom click all file
4. look for the .exe and let winzip open
5. Extract files to usb flash drive or blank cd
6. Install Vista with driver when it ask for it

OR
slipstream driver into vista sp1 which is a whole other topic

d2thez
07-23-09, 09:38 AM
The driver I or TheBigOne posted should work fine (though mine is a newer version). Have they worked out for you?

Xion X2
07-23-09, 12:32 PM
Vista 64 (what I have) should let you load the raid (which I also have) drivers directly from a CD on the install. Just download the raid drivers from AMD's site to a CD and then load them on the Vista install.

Of course, you'll need to make sure they're in an executable format on the CD and not zipped or anything.

ragejg
07-23-09, 07:20 PM
This has been done very repeatedly, with all brands of driver files, with no success.

I've even swapped around some of the security catalog files to see if I could fool this MSDN version of Vista 64. Nope.

Tomorrow I'll have in my hands a new MSDN disc.

I think it'll work with that.

It sure would have been nice if I had another x64 to try this whole time. :(

bacon12
07-23-09, 09:53 PM
It sure would have been nice if I had another x64 to try this whole time. http://www.mydigitallife.info/2009/04/29/windows-vista-with-sp2-rtm-slipstreamedintegrated-dvd-iso-image-bt-download/

ragejg
07-24-09, 12:15 AM
I'd have that if the download would work. I use Opera for my torrents. Showing no seeds peers.

bacon12
07-24-09, 10:16 AM
Didn't know man was thinking there were still seeders.

ragejg
07-24-09, 10:51 AM
I'm only per-diem with the software company I used to be full-time at.

I have some development to do on their corporate site in the next month, but I won't be traveling to the office.

My co-worker's downloading a new copy straight from MS, but, lol, he doesn't have a DVD burner on that system.

Soooo.... I'm VPN'ed in and will TRY to DL the ISO from the VPN to my system once it's done being DL'ed at the end of today.

This is making me want to twist my head off and throw it at someone.
(forgive me, I'm listening to Slayer right now) :p

ragejg
07-24-09, 05:21 PM
Problem compounded by a dying boot sector in one of my Maxtors.

So I spent money I didn't have on a 16mb cache WD 250gb sata.

Less drives, less heat, quieter, and may be faster in some ways than the old RAID setup.

Time to move on and enjoy this rig.

jeeeeeeebus. WHY MEEEEE!!!???

lol