PDA

View Full Version : Vista Service Pack 2 does not appear in Winupdate because of nVidia driver "updates"

Pages : [1] 2

[EOCF] Tim
07-24-09, 03:45 PM
Strange problem this,

Service Pack can be a bit funny with showing up in Windows Update, you usually need to have literally all the updates installed before it shows. But on my setup, there are two nVidia updates (which are outdated!) that need to be installed before SP2 shows.

I know this because I have had to install them before to get SP2 to show.

One of them is a networking controller driver update (from August 2008!) and the other a Forceware driver from April 2009, both horribly outdated.

Unless I install these, Service Pack 2 doesn't show. Why? I do not want to install them, I've got the latest nForce and Forceware drivers so I don't want outdated drivers which are pointless.

Google doesn't show any results on it either.

I suppose I will have to download it directly from the download center.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=656c9d4a-55ec-4972-a0d7-b1a6fedf51a7&DisplayLang=en

Anyway, if I was a noob, I shouldn't have to go through it manually should I? :o

http://img219.imageshack.us/img219/5295/updates.th.jpg (http://img219.imageshack.us/i/updates.jpg/)

bob saget
07-24-09, 06:29 PM
I am a bit nervous about SP2. Still running on SP1.

crainger
07-24-09, 07:38 PM
You'll be k bob. I'm running SP2 on my lappy and it's k.

Bman212121
07-24-09, 07:43 PM
Tim;2054050']Strange problem this,

Service Pack can be a bit funny with showing up in Windows Update, you usually need to have literally all the updates installed before it shows. But on my setup, there are two nVidia updates (which are outdated!) that need to be installed before SP2 shows.

I know this because I have had to install them before to get SP2 to show.

One of them is a networking controller driver update (from August 2008!) and the other a Forceware driver from April 2009, both horribly outdated.

Unless I install these, Service Pack 2 doesn't show. Why? I do not want to install them, I've got the latest nForce and Forceware drivers so I don't want outdated drivers which are pointless.

Google doesn't show any results on it either.

I suppose I will have to download it directly from the download center.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=656c9d4a-55ec-4972-a0d7-b1a6fedf51a7&DisplayLang=en

Anyway, if I was a noob, I shouldn't have to go through it manually should I? :o

http://img219.imageshack.us/img219/5295/updates.th.jpg (http://img219.imageshack.us/i/updates.jpg/)

The same thing happened with SP1. All you need to do is right click on the update and tell it to hide it. Once you do that it will ignore those updates and it should let you install the SP without having to install the optional components.

six_storm
07-24-09, 10:17 PM

Same. I've heard that it breaks some game installs . . . like GTA4. Waiting until Win7 anyways. :D

crainger
07-25-09, 09:18 AM
LOL What six? It only messes up if you install it wrong... Oh it IS you after all. Yeah, prob best you don't install it.

mullet
07-25-09, 10:32 AM
LOL

grey_1
07-25-09, 11:02 AM
Nice!

Personally haven't had anything but good experiences with SP2. Using the integrated iso.

[EOCF] Tim
07-25-09, 11:59 AM
The same thing happened with SP1. All you need to do is right click on the update and tell it to hide it. Once you do that it will ignore those updates and it should let you install the SP without having to install the optional components.

Wow, that simple ey! I feel a bit silly now.

Thank you very much, haven't tried it because I downloaded it from the Microsoft download center.

ViN86
07-25-09, 02:11 PM
Nothing to be nervous about. Everything still worked for me.

But tbh I don't think it was that much of an improvement over SP1.

six_storm
07-25-09, 09:48 PM
LOL What six? It only messes up if you install it wrong... Oh it IS you after all. Yeah, prob best you don't install it.

Funny guy. As I was saying, Windows 7 will be on my PC (more than likely) before Vista SP2 goes in affect.

bob saget
07-26-09, 03:46 AM

:D

crainger
07-26-09, 09:10 AM
Funny guy. As I was saying, Windows 7 will be on my PC (more than likely) before Vista SP2 goes in affect.

I'm just remembering the days you have issue after issue with Windows. Practice makes perfect, you should be k with 7, if not we are here for you.

six_storm
07-26-09, 10:31 PM
I'm just remembering the days you have issue after issue with Windows. Practice makes perfect, you should be k with 7, if not we are here for you.

The funny thing is that I work with Windows-based machines 8-10 hours a day for a career. It just amazes me how many things go wrong with Windows, but hey, what do you expect? It's from Microsoft! :captnkill:

All kidding aside, no one/OS is perfect. There are just better ways of doing things and MS is finally doing so with Win7 (aka, cleaning the mess called "Vista" up).

crainger
07-26-09, 11:19 PM
Vista was ok. I think the problems you had were a result from the storm of six virus. Nasty thing that hit a few PCs in Nashville.

bob saget
07-26-09, 11:33 PM
i sucked vista's ******** ** ****** ***** across *******.

zingzong
07-27-09, 10:30 AM
i sucked vista's ******** ** ****** ***** across *******.

Please tell me how a child like this stays around here long enough to accumilate 22,000+post without ever getting banned?

Doesnt say much about the admin around here.

six_storm
07-27-09, 10:41 AM
Please tell me how a child like this stays around here long enough to accumilate 22,000+post without ever getting banned?

Anybody over 10K posts here is classified as a spammer . . . :bleh:

nekrosoft13
07-27-09, 10:48 AM

The funny thing is that I work with Windows-based machines 8-10 hours a day for a career. It just amazes me how many things go wrong with Windows, but hey, what do you expect? It's from Microsoft! :captnkill:

All kidding aside, no one/OS is perfect. There are just better ways of doing things and MS is finally doing so with Win7 (aka, cleaning the mess called "Vista" up).

almost all issues are caused by the user

zingzong
07-27-09, 10:49 AM

+1

Vista 64 has been great for me even before the service packs.

six_storm
07-27-09, 11:25 AM

Almost all, I can agree with that. Vista does have some terrible resource management though, you gotta admit that.

bob saget
07-27-09, 12:25 PM

OH HAI

ViN86
07-27-09, 01:55 PM

Well they have to do something wrong before they get banned. You can't just ban people because you don't like them. :retard:

Although many other sites will do that. I think it's a testament to how accepting this community is.

zingzong
07-27-09, 02:35 PM
I think it's a testament to how accepting this community is.

If the place is run by a bunch of 12yr olds then sure, I can agree with that.

ViN86
07-27-09, 02:37 PM
If the place is run by a bunch of 12yr olds then sure, I can agree with that.

This site doesn't exist to satisfy you. If you have a problem, leave.

Besides, your whining sounds more like a 12 yr old than anything bob has done. There is an ignore feature as well as multiple other ways to avoid it. So, exercise one of those options, or stop whining.