PDA

View Full Version : Windows Live Messenger + Win7 = no love?

nekrosoft13
07-25-09, 01:00 AM
Ok, straight to the point.

Anyone else having issues with windows live messenger and windows 7?

For some reason Live Messenger is quite slow on windows 7, after everything else loads on fresh boot, it takes another extra 30 seconds or so for the messenger to start.

With vista it was almost instantaneous, anyone else experiencing the slow down?

zoomy942
07-25-09, 01:28 AM
im not here. i have win7 on my workstation and wifey has it on her netbook.

what AV you using?

XxDeadlyxX
07-25-09, 02:04 AM
Ok, straight to the point.

Anyone else having issues with windows live messenger and windows 7?

For some reason Live Messenger is quite slow on windows 7, after everything else loads on fresh boot, it takes another extra 30 seconds or so for the messenger to start.

With vista it was almost instantaneous, anyone else experiencing the slow down?

I'm having a bit of a problem with build 7229 (not sure if it's evident in RTM) where the Windows networking stack seems to take a long time to load after you log in - the Network status icon in the notification area near the clock has a circle on it for about 30secs-1minute after login - so anything requiring Internet access (Steam, WLM etc) doesn't load until Windows lets them connect to the net.

S.SubZero
07-25-09, 02:23 AM
Live Messenger works fine for me. The only glitch I am seeing currently, is when I get new mail and click the little "you have new mail from.." popup, it does take an extremely long time to load. If I go through any other route (the mail icon in Messenger, or on the Start menu) it loads fine.

The other dopey thing is the "mystery window" in the taskbar when Live Messenger is running. Sigh.

Tuork
07-25-09, 01:25 PM
I use Pidgin for my IM needs since I also use AIM.

You should give it a try. It takes a little tweaking (nothing major, just settings in the preferences window), but it's quite nice.

www.pidgin.im

pross
07-25-09, 01:40 PM
The other dopey thing is the "mystery window" in the taskbar when Live Messenger is running. Sigh.
find the msnmsg.exe in program files dir, go to compatability and select vista sp2..it'll run in the systray then like it used to.

nekrosoft13
07-25-09, 02:31 PM
I'm having a bit of a problem with build 7229 (not sure if it's evident in RTM) where the Windows networking stack seems to take a long time to load after you log in - the Network status icon in the notification area near the clock has a circle on it for about 30secs-1minute after login - so anything requiring Internet access (Steam, WLM etc) doesn't load until Windows lets them connect to the net.

that is not causing it, my network "icon" loads right away

Crow_Nest
07-28-09, 12:44 AM
Ive used WLM in every windows 7 build ive installed. Im currently on 7600 and i dont have any issues with WLM. Maybe you should try disabling the auto run at windows start up, if you're using it. I never enable that, it just slows things down. I always run WLM when i need it.

Absolution
07-29-09, 01:37 PM
Works fine here - no issues.

crainger
07-29-09, 04:04 PM
Live Messenger works fine on my W7 machines.

shilk
07-29-09, 07:58 PM
I use Pidgin for my IM needs since I also use AIM.

You should give it a try. It takes a little tweaking (nothing major, just settings in the preferences window), but it's quite nice.

www.pidgin.im

Me too. :) Pidgin has replaced my Google Talk and I can even get Twitter updates form it with a plugin. Awesome, awesome program.

Tuork
07-29-09, 09:32 PM
Me too. :) Pidgin has replaced my Google Talk and I can even get Twitter updates form it with a plugin. Awesome, awesome program.

I wanted to write a "toaster" message plugin for when I got an email, but I never got around to it... and I don't use hotmail anymore. :p

shilk
07-30-09, 12:36 AM
I pretty much only use gmail now, so it's still serves as a "kill two birds with one stone" thing for me. :p