PDA

View Full Version : eSata Flash Drive?

a12ctic
07-27-09, 03:48 PM
Does anybody have one of these? I was considering buying a 16/32GB OCZ Throttle. All the computers in my home are based on 780G now, so it would make sense for copying **** to one another. That should also eliminate the desire to wait for USB3.0 to upgrade my flash drives. Any input would be appreciated.

lduguay
07-27-09, 03:55 PM
Still Sneakernetting? Why wait for USB 3.0 when you have 1 gigabit ethernet everywhere including the toaster over.

a12ctic
07-27-09, 03:57 PM
I guess thats true, but I also use computers out of my house, that wouldn't be included in my network, that also have esata. Most of my bros/family have esata ports as well. Also, that **** is just nice for backup and the sort.

lduguay
07-27-09, 04:08 PM
I see, for 100$ i'd buy it for its small form factor. But unfortunatly there are not too many motherboards that provides power from the eSata port, you would have to connect an extra USB cable just for power. That being said, i prefer a sata laptop drive (faster, more capacity and cheap) but also slightly bulky.

a12ctic
07-27-09, 04:11 PM
The 16GB version is less than 50 dollars.

lduguay
07-27-09, 04:26 PM
50$? give it a shot and report

nekrosoft13
07-27-09, 05:36 PM
I guess thats true, but I also use computers out of my house, that wouldn't be included in my network, that also have esata. Most of my bros/family have esata ports as well. Also, that **** is just nice for backup and the sort.

like lduguay mentioned, having a normal esata port will not enable you to power this device.

you will have to use two cables, esata and usb, I only seen few motherboards that have the hybrid esata+usb plug. None of them were based on 780g

http://1toppc.com/Merchant2/images/Notebook/Asus/M50/comboport.jpg
http://www.everythingusb.com/images/list/msi_power_esata_news.jpg
plug is slightly different

a12ctic
07-27-09, 05:48 PM
I read a review, I understand that you need USB for power. Thats not what I care about, what I want is the faster transfer speeds that esata introduces. Having to plug it in two places isn't a big deal.

ViN86
07-27-09, 06:16 PM
Would be fast for reading, but write speeds are still slow, correct?

a12ctic
07-27-09, 06:28 PM
Would be fast for reading, but write speeds are still slow, correct?

Slower than a harddrive, but faster than a traditional flash drive.

http://www.legitreviews.com/article/877/6/

Bman212121
07-27-09, 08:03 PM
I really don't see the point of an esata flash drive at this point. If you're only copying 32GB of data it's not going to take that long regardless of what connection you have. You can save a whole 10 minutes according to that review, if you were reading the entire contents of the drive off at one time. Chances are you are only going to pull and iso or rar file that is 8GB or less. So the trade off might be a couple of minutes of time saved but then you have to carry around an extra cable to power the thing, and you'll likely end up wanting to copy data to a pc that doesn't have an esata port on it.

If you were going to be moving 100GB + then I'd the time saving would definitely come into play.