PDA

View Full Version : ASUS P4C800 Dlx and R9700 Pro Warcraft III probs...

cvearl
06-19-03, 04:55 PM
All my games run great since I built my new P4C800 Rig and R9700 Pro setup. It's the same collection of games I played on the 2.4/845PE setup. All are great but one that is. Warcraft III crashes solid or freezes 10 - 15 minutes into play. As I stated, I had this game installed on my previous rig. It was a P4-2.4B on an ASUS P4PE (4xAGP) motherboard, 512MB PC2700 RAM, 9700 pro and Soudblaster Audigy. Win XP Pro SP1, CAT 3.4's, DX 9.0a. On that rig it ran hours on end no problem. Never crashed or locked up.

As for what is different, I changed the mobo and processor and did a fresh install of XP. I moved to an ASUS P4C800 Dlx (8xAGP), 512MB PC3200, P4-2.6C Hyperthread processor. Now Warcraft III crashes within 10-15 minutes with the looping sound frozen screen thing. I Have to hit reset as she's locked solid!

The mystery is that everyhting but the motherboard and processor are essentially the same (9700 Pro + Audigy) right down to drivers, service packs and directX versions. Especially wierd is that all other games I have tried play for a long time with no issues whatsoever. NOLF II, SOFII, Medal of Honor, UT2003, Enclave Demo and Dungeon Siege all work great. The only clue I have is that the new board is 8xAGP, Hyperthreading and Dual Channel memory DDR400. Outside of that, it is the same as the old rig.

What's with Warcraft III??? What can it be doing different that it needs to crash????

Anyone else with issues on that game? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Charles.

RAY16
06-19-03, 05:15 PM
Its probably the 9700 Pro drivers... We all know that even though ATi cards hae always been good, the drivers are known to have lots of problems. Try a different driver set (like the new 3.5 Betas people are talking about).

PenguinJim
06-23-03, 06:18 AM
Have you tried the latest Warcraft III patch, too? Or perhaps one of the earlier ones? (I think 1.05 is the latest... but I haven't been around much recently).

Miksu
06-23-03, 06:45 AM
Originally posted by RAY16
Its probably the 9700 Pro drivers... We all know that even though ATi cards hae always been good, the drivers are known to have lots of problems.

You prolly missed the info that he has used Radeon before without probs...

Are you trying to run WC3 with D3D or OpenGL? If with D3D, try putting '-opengl' to command line. This helped with my WC3-problems when Radeon 9700Pro was new and this game was crashing.

Other than that, you could try if it helps setting AGP to 4x and disabling fast writes.

cvearl
06-23-03, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by Miksu
You prolly missed the info that he has used Radeon before without probs...

Are you trying to run WC3 with D3D or OpenGL? If with D3D, try putting '-opengl' to command line. This helped with my WC3-problems when Radeon 9700Pro was new and this game was crashing.

Other than that, you could try if it helps setting AGP to 4x and disabling fast writes.

I'm going to try the AGP 4X route first. Then well see. I'm trying to stay with D3D. I'm just a little miffed that it worked great and played marathon tower games no problem on my Asus P4PE motherboard and DDR333 RAM. But that setup was AGP 4X. Hmmm....

Charles.