PDA

View Full Version : How do I move games from one Steam acct to another?

ragejg
07-28-09, 06:12 PM
I have two Steam accounts.

ACCT A: for the desk PC which serves up Source Engine games...

ACCT B: for the media/gaming PC.

I don't have this set up how I'd like it yet, as I want to move some games from A to B, like Lost Planet, Assassin's Creed and Audiosurf.

I used to just have one acct, but when I bought TF2 (i think that was it) I was allowed to give HL2 to someone as a gift.

I thought "maybe I can give that to my other PC, and then maybe I can install HL@:DM and CS:S and get to enjoy some LAN action!!"

So yeah, the accounts aren't split up properly yet. My desk PC's Steam acct has ALL the games, and I want some of them to migrate.

NarcissistZero
07-28-09, 06:18 PM
The only option is to ask support to do so, but you need a damn good reason.

ragejg
07-28-09, 06:31 PM
So basically that means if you buy a Steam game, you can't sell it without the buyer having to go through a bunch of crap?

XDanger
07-28-09, 06:39 PM
So basically that means if you buy a Steam game, you can't sell it without the buyer having to go through a bunch of crap?

you cant sell it period.

Unless you buy a compilation containing a game you already have ,Then you can gift it.

You can log on and install whatever steam game you like on either PC but you cant use two instances of the same account at the same time so If you only have 1 CSS or whatever you cant do LAN

I think.

What I want to know is if my friend has the game and he logs in on one of my PC's that already has my same game installed will it use the same .exe and **** or will the game have to be re-downloaded and installed taking up extra space? I think not.

ViN86
07-28-09, 06:50 PM
You can sell the entire account...

That's about it.

SH64
07-28-09, 07:03 PM
Thats digital download for you! :o

I have the same kind of PC setups, and thats why i prefer hard copies.

NarcissistZero
07-28-09, 07:20 PM
You can sell the entire account...

That's about it.

Good luck with that... Valve will close down accounts found to be traded, and more importantly the seller can always get the account back by giving certain details, which means no one will buy one.

Greg
07-29-09, 01:14 AM
With Steam DRM you really need one account per game to allow flexible use of the licenses you own. God forbid you have siblings or children who want to play different games, tied to the one account, at the same time. I guess all game players are single or loners.

NarcissistZero
07-29-09, 01:23 AM
With Steam DRM you really need one account per game to allow flexible use of the licenses you own. God forbid you have siblings or children who want to play different games, tied to the one account, at the same time. I guess all game players are single or loners.

It is kind of ridiculous that for my girlfriend to be able to play Peggle on her laptop while I am signed on, she needs to buy a second copy for another account.

Badboy_12345
07-29-09, 02:45 AM
It is kind of ridiculous that for my girlfriend to be able to play Peggle on her laptop while I am signed on, she needs to buy a second copy for another account.

What if on her computer steam is in offline mode? will that work?

NarcissistZero
07-29-09, 03:33 AM
What if on her computer steam is in offline mode? will that work?

I suppose, never bothered trying as it doesn't happen often. She would need to sign on, then go into offline mode though, so she would still kick me off.

Unless she disables her Internet first, which is a pain.

ViN86
07-29-09, 09:21 AM
Good luck with that... Valve will close down accounts found to be traded, and more importantly the seller can always get the account back by giving certain details, which means no one will buy one.

My brother bought one a few years back. It went smoothly.

Once the buyer gets the username and password, they can change the email and the password. Then the previous owner cannot access it.

nekrosoft13
07-29-09, 09:30 AM

Once the buyer gets the username and password, they can change the email and the password. Then the previous owner cannot access it.

all it takes for previous user to contact steam, give them some info: paypal info used to buy a game, cc info, or receipt. and steam will restore the account to original owner.

|MaguS|
07-29-09, 09:43 AM

Im pretty sure that the original email used to create the account (and log int) cannot be changed, only the email used to contact the user about changes or if a lost password.

I originally used a hotmail account with steam and now have it set to gmail but I still have to use the hotmail account to log in.

And even then they can still reclaim it, they just have to provide the old information and valve will look into it.

ViN86
07-29-09, 09:44 AM
I am just saying I have seen it done.

ragejg
07-29-09, 09:56 AM
Crap!!

So if my GF wants to play TF2 online and I want to play Audiosurf (also online, submits scores), we CAN'T because they're on the same steam account?

grey_1
07-29-09, 10:02 AM
From the EULA:

.......You may not sell or charge others for the right to use your Account, or otherwise transfer your Account.
You are entitled to use the Steam Software for your own use, but you are not entitled to: (i) sell, grant a security interest in or transfer reproductions of the Steam Software to other parties in any way, nor to rent, lease or license the Steam Software to others without the prior written consent of Valve; (ii) host or provide matchmaking services for the Steam Software or emulate or redirect the communication protocols used by Valve in any network feature of the Steam Software, through protocol emulation, tunneling, modifying or adding components to the Steam Software, use of a utility program or any other techniques now known or hereafter developed, for any purpose including, but not limited to network play over the Internet, network play utilizing commercial or non-commercial gaming networks or as part of content aggregation networks, without the prior written consent of Valve; or (iii) exploit the Steam Software or any of its parts for any commercial purpose.

http://store.steampowered.com/subscriber_agreement/

Also...

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=8963-EIKC-3767

Just install the account to both rigs, with the games you want on each only installed.

The only caveat is that both accounts can't be logged in at the same time.

LurkerLito
07-29-09, 10:18 AM
Unless you buy a compilation containing a game you already have ,Then you can gift it.

Nope you can't unless that particular game is setup that way. I have bought Shadowgrounds 2x now, and I couldn't even give away a copy of the 2nd copy. I even asked support how I could do it since I already own it and they said I couldn't. IIRC only the HL2 series or maybe only Valve games in general have the gift it option available if you own it already.

XDanger
07-29-09, 11:52 AM
Nope you can't unless that particular game is setup that way. I have bought Shadowgrounds 2x now, and I couldn't even give away a copy of the 2nd copy. I even asked support how I could do it since I already own it and they said I couldn't. IIRC only the HL2 series or maybe only Valve games in general have the gift it option available if you own it already.

Thats lame.

bob saget
07-29-09, 01:31 PM
What I have done before:

1 account. 2 computers. Friend is playing an online multiplayer game like counter strike. I am playing a single player valve game. This worked for me for a long time but I haven't tried in about a year or more.

|MaguS|
07-29-09, 01:39 PM
What I have done before:

1 account. 2 computers. Friend is playing an online multiplayer game like counter strike. I am playing a single player valve game. This worked for me for a long time but I haven't tried in about a year or more.

If your going to play an SP game then its possible because you just can go into offline mode with that PC but its not possible for two online games.

ragejg
07-29-09, 01:39 PM
What I have done before:

Right. I've done this before. Anne played HL2: ep 1 and I played Lost Planet... one of us at a time could have played one of our game variants online.

ragejg
07-29-09, 01:41 PM
I'm glad I gifted HL2 to the other steam account. I hope I'm assuming correctly: owning HL2 gives you free rein to download HL2:DM and CS:S, right?

bob saget
07-29-09, 01:57 PM
I'm glad I gifted HL2 to the other steam account. I hope I'm assuming correctly: owning HL2 gives you free rein to download HL2:DM and CS:S, right?

Depends which package you get. Although TONS of packages had those two games and also HL:Source, mine didnt. I did get CS:S and HL2: DM though. Death match is alotta fun.