PDA

View Full Version : GT Top 10 Breakthrough PC Games

Retrolock
07-28-09, 11:43 PM
http://www.gametrailers.com/player/52509.html

:) Makes me wanna buy the King's Quest and Doom packs on Steam.

jAkUp
07-29-09, 12:13 AM
Great list :) Maybe GTA should have made it too though.

CaptNKILL
07-29-09, 12:18 AM
Great list. Even though I've never played most of the games in that video (some are older than I am) I can definitely appreciate the things they brought to PC gaming.

Also, their pick for number one is good.

I still have Doom with Doom Legacy on my computer. Whenever I stumble across it on my hard drive I end up playing it for a few hours. I still remember seeing Doom shareware on the shelf at Radioshack back in 1994. My brother had just got our first "real" PC so I immediately told him that he could get Doom for just $5 at the store. When he came back home with the disks he installed it right away. I'll never forget the sound of that chaingun as the demo played in the background. That was really incredible back then. :D

NarcissistZero
07-29-09, 01:48 AM
I remember watching over my mom's shoulder as she played Space Quest... then she let me try and type some commands. I am pretty sure that is my first gaming experience period, on any system.

Soon after that I was a 11 or 12 year old adventure junkie... I remember Dracula, Police Quest 4, some other police game with blue in the title... PC gaming is really where I got most of my experience as a kid.

Then came Final Fantasy III on SNES, but that's another story.

CaptNKILL
07-29-09, 01:56 AM
I remember watching over my mom's shoulder as she played Space Quest... then she let me try and type some commands. I am pretty sure that is my first gaming experience period, on any system.

Soon after that I was a 11 or 12 year old adventure junkie... I remember Dracula, Police Quest 4, some other police game with blue in the title... PC gaming is really where I got most of my experience as a kid.

Then came Final Fantasy III on SNES, but that's another story.

I remember playing one of the Police Quest games back in '94 or '95. I think they released some kind of compilation with updated graphics or something because it looked a lot better than the Police Quest they showed in the video.

I think the game we had was either extremely hard or our computer sucked and couldn't run it... because I don't remember getting past the first couple scenes. :p

NarcissistZero
07-29-09, 02:22 AM
I remember the early police quest games being rather drab, but Police Quest 4 was good. I have the collection released a while back and none of them really hold up, sadly. The old Sierra adventure games are too serious to be played now, you need a bit of personality to get over the outdated graphics and gameplay.

CaptNKILL
07-29-09, 04:58 AM
I remember the early police quest games being rather drab, but Police Quest 4 was good. I have the collection released a while back and none of them really hold up, sadly. The old Sierra adventure games are too serious to be played now, you need a bit of personality to get over the outdated graphics and gameplay.

There are some recent remakes of the first three King's Quest games. I played the first one (my first time playing King's Quest) and it was pretty damned cool. Its funny how easily and frequently you die in that game, but its strange playing an adventure game that basically allows you to wander anywhere you want in the game world rather than following a strict path. 80% of the time you'll die if you wander into an area without the right item in your inventory, but you'll die in humorous ways so its all good. :lol:

These guys did King's Quest 1 & 2 and Quest For Glory 2.
http://www.agdinteractive.com/games/games.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AGD_Interactive

They've actually updated the games over the past 7-8 years as well. Apparently they just added dialog and new background graphics to KQ1 and KQ2 earlier this year.

These guys did a remake of KQ3:
http://www.infamous-adventures.com/kq3/

trivium nate
07-29-09, 05:26 AM
very nice

SH64
07-29-09, 06:16 AM
Great list. But for the RTS i always thought Dune 2 was the breakthrough into the RTS genre (and there are probably other games that i missed) which came much earlier than Starcraft.

Ancient76
07-29-09, 06:42 AM
Great list. But for the RTS i always thought Dune 2 was the breakthrough into the RTS genre (and there are probably other games that i missed) which came much earlier than Starcraft.

True.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dune_II

Dune II is one of the most influential games in the real-time strategy genre. Though not every characteristic was unique, attributes such as fog of war, and the game's model for resource-extraction, base creation, and military micromanagement became several standards upon which the RTS genre is based. Obvious influences of Dune II can be seen in numerous games, particularly in Westwood's own Command & Conquer series.[5]

jeong
07-29-09, 07:58 AM
Q, and D oh ya.

Retrolock
07-29-09, 12:08 PM
I played Dune 2 back on my 386 laptop with monochrome screen and it was clunky as hell. It was one sweet RTS though. Yeah, Dune 2 should have been there, but Starcraft, as they said in the vid, became Korea's national sport.

Medion
07-29-09, 12:28 PM
Great list :) Maybe GTA should have made it too though.

I can see why GTA wasn't on the list, as it wasn't an influential PC game. It's roots were on the PC and PS1 simultaneously, but it didn't get big until GTA3, which was released on the console before being ported to the PC.

Tygerwoody
07-30-09, 01:29 PM
are Age of Empires 2 / Diablo 2 / Everquest on that list?

If not, they ****ing should be

NarcissistZero
07-30-09, 02:29 PM
are Age of Empires 2 / Diablo 2 / Everquest on that list?

If not, they ****ing should be

They went more for genre starters or the biggest games in a genre, rather than popular/big games in general.

XDanger
07-30-09, 04:38 PM
I wish people wouldn't keep trying to re-write history.

Also ,What is "jesstalt"?