PDA

View Full Version : Logitech VX Revolution mouse is awesome.

CaptNKILL
08-01-09, 01:30 AM
My brother has been looking for a good wireless mouse to use on his HTPC. He sits about 9 feet from the TV and USB hub, so good range and a reliable signal is absolutely necessary.

He bought a Logitech LX8 for $35 at Wal-Mart and it worked from just about 8 feet away but would get jerky some times and moving just a few inches in one direction would cause it to stop. It seemed like an ok mouse but the range was NOT good for HTPC usage and the side buttons were way too sensitive. I told him to return it and I'd look around for a VX-series mouse that he could swap it for.

When I was at wal-mart the next day I looked around a bit for the VX Nano but couldn't find one. I kept looking and found a pile of VX Revolution mice in the clearance aisle. I remembered that these were $50-$70 before they were on clearance, but they looked good so I checked the price.

$30!

I figured it was worth trying since it was actually cheaper than the LX8. So he returned the LX8 for the VX Revolution. We tried it out and it works perfectly! It worked from nearly 30 feet away down a hall way through 4 walls. :headexplode:

It never lost signal in 4 hours of usage, it has more features than any mouse I've used, and the setpoint software gives a TON of customization. Far more than it gives my MX518. Its not as responsive as my wired MX518, but that's to be expected. Its really not bad at all though. Also, it has a programmable middle\wheel click, which the newer VX Nano doesn't have (the third mouse button was replaced with the scroll speed toggle switch)

For $30 this mouse is a STEAL. Our Wal-Mart has a ton of these. If you're in need of a good HTPC mouse (or any wireless mouse really) I highly recommend that you check out your local wal-mart. Look in the clearance aisle to see if they've done the same thing with their stock of VX Revolutions. I'm definitely going to buy at least one of these for myself and I'm considering grabbing two just to have another one. A comparable mouse from an online store will cost $60-$80 and may be missing the middle click (which I use often). Newegg sells the same mouse for $59.99 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826104016), and Wal-Mart Online sells it for $59.88 (http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=5192504). The prices are in the $30-$40 range on ebay, so they must be selling cheap somewhere.

Just thought I'd share. :D

CaptNKILL
08-01-09, 04:43 AM
I use the VX Nano on my MBP. Very nice, little mouse. I like the fact that it still has back and forward buttons and battery life is also very good.

Yeah I think the laser must help with battery life. The first thing I noticed (this being my first laser mouse) was that there isn't a red light on the bottom of the mouse.

crainger
08-01-09, 05:55 AM
Try out the fan made setpoint add-on that lets you customize even further. I can't find it, but maybe a look on the Logitech forums will turn something up.

betterdan
08-01-09, 06:18 AM
We use the LX8 mouse and it works perfectly. I don't use it 8 feet away though. This was our first wireless mouse and I was hesitant to use it as I didn't know how quickly it would react in games but I can't tell any difference in it and the Copperhead Razer we had before.

bacon12
08-01-09, 10:26 AM
I have been using the revo for a while and it is awesome. I have an lx8 also but don't use either further than 8 feet. Free spin kicks ass too, and I don't know of any other mouse that offers that.

hokeyplyr48
08-01-09, 12:00 PM
yea I use the VX nano for my laptop and it is a phenomenal mouse! I really love the ridiculously small USB receiver. It is so freakin small. Only downside is no middle click :-\

logan
08-01-09, 12:39 PM
I thought there was a way to still middle click with those? I have a Logitech v220 and the size and weight are fine, but the middle mouse click is annoyingly difficult. It seems like everyone is always talking about how great the VX Nano/Revolution are, but if there's no middle click, it's of no use to me.. :/

Also, wasn't there something weird about a rubber band wearing down and people sucking on the mouse to fix it? Hehe..

CaptNKILL
08-01-09, 09:20 PM
I thought there was a way to still middle click with those? I have a Logitech v220 and the size and weight are fine, but the middle mouse click is annoyingly difficult. It seems like everyone is always talking about how great the VX Nano/Revolution are, but if there's no middle click, it's of no use to me.. :/

Also, wasn't there something weird about a rubber band wearing down and people sucking on the mouse to fix it? Hehe..

The revolution has a programmable middle click, the nano doesn't. Most people just set the search button (behind the scroll wheel) to the middle click function.

hokeyplyr48
08-01-09, 09:24 PM
The revolution has a programmable middle click, the nano doesn't. Most people just set the search button (behind the scroll wheel) to the middle click function.

I never even thought about that. I'll have to reprogram it. thanks for the tip

CaptNKILL
08-01-09, 09:31 PM
I never even thought about that. I'll have to reprogram it. thanks for the tip

Sure. :)

BTW, one of the coolest things about the Revolution is that it has a zoom switch on it. I've never seen this on a mouse before. Basically, its a little spring loaded slider that allows you to zoom in and out of web pages without using the keyboard.

This is incredibly useful for an HTPC because some times, even a large TV can't make the text in a browser big enough.

It also works in Photoshop and a few other programs, and all of the extra buttons\switches can be customized for any program.

Tomorrow I'm going to run to the store and grab two of these things before they're gone.

Sazar
08-02-09, 10:17 AM
MX is better :bleh:

But yah, both of the products bring a lot to the table :)

Good products.