PDA

View Full Version : Nvidia 8800GS Driver for Ubuntu

rcastoro
08-02-09, 10:58 AM
I'm new to Linux - I have Dual Boot with Windows and Ubuntu. I just installed the latest version of Nvidia Driver ( I Believe 190.xx or something), I installed in windows and it worked great, For Linux - I downloaded from the Nvidia Web-Site the 8800GS Driver for Linux and tried to install it following the directions:

Exctact, Close out of your X and into a Terminal, run the pkg.run, the installer asked me to build a Kernel, and then configure Nvidia automatically, so I selected YES to both, it restarted, and I couldn't boot into my GUI, Finally I uninstall the driver using uninstall.

So My Question is, Can I Get the Latest Nvidia Driver for my Geforce 8800gs for Linux, and on Ubuntu, specifically how can I achieve this?

Thank you So much for your advice.

rcastoro
08-02-09, 11:16 AM
I found this URL: http://www.nvidia.com/object/unix.html through a thread in this forum - I Know Nvidia has a Driver for Linux on their official page that is a higher driver version then this page displays.

Also, I just realised my computer says on the tower - AMD Athlon 64 (I JUST NOTICED THE 64) - Should I Be Downloading 64 bit versions of software from now on, and if so - ON the URL ABove of the Drivers, Which one would I Download?

Basically:
1.) Is Ubuntu Good at if not Equal to playing games as Windows, say I wanted to play Call of Duty 4 on Steam Client in Ubuntu? If So, What do I need to download to get this right?

2.) Do I need to download anything special for Linux to play games? (Does DirectX Apply to Linux, or is there a equivelent) - Also I have a Virtual Box of Vista running in Linux, but that doesnt access the actual graphics card I hear - so that wouldnt work either correct, because I couldnt install the driver on that in linux either)

3.) WHAT AM I DOING?

bobmendon
08-03-09, 06:11 PM
I found this URL: http://www.nvidia.com/object/unix.html through a thread in this forum - I Know Nvidia has a Driver for Linux on their official page that is a higher driver version then this page displays.

The latest Nvidia driver should be an 85 series. In Linux, you neccessarily need the latest and greatest driver as long as they all do the same thing. Graphics aren't as resource intensive on a Linux platform. Ubuntu has restricted drivers in their repository that will work just fine. he driver you are referring to on the site is probably not a production driver but rather one that is still in the testing stages.

Also, I just realised my computer says on the tower - AMD Athlon 64 (I JUST NOTICED THE 64) - Should I Be Downloading 64 bit versions of software from now on, and if so - ON the URL ABove of the Drivers, Which one would I Download?

Basically:
1.) Is Ubuntu Good at if not Equal to playing games as Windows, say I wanted to play Call of Duty 4 on Steam Client in Ubuntu? If So, What do I need to download to get this right?

Not really for a number of reasons, cheif among them there is no DirectX.

2.) Do I need to download anything special for Linux to play games? (Does DirectX Apply to Linux, or is there a equivelent) - Also I have a Virtual Box of Vista running in Linux, but that doesnt access the actual graphics card I hear - so that wouldnt work either correct, because I couldnt install the driver on that in linux either)

See answer number 1.

3.) WHAT AM I DOING?

Learning I hope! :)