PDA

View Full Version : BIOS Corrupted...Questions

911medic
08-04-09, 12:01 PM
Was dual booting XP Home SP3 (x86) and Win7 RC (x64). Tried upping the memory from 2GB to 6GB (added 2 2GB sticks to my 2 1GB sticks) in my ASUS P5B-E. Booted into XP OK, but blue screened booting into Win7. Went into the BIOS and enabled the memory remap setting. Still booted into XP OK, behaved as expected (only showing 2GB of RAM w/remap enabled). Still blue screened going into Win7.
Tried individual sticks of RAM and 4 GB of RAM, and would boot into 7 fine. W/remap enabled, showed all RAM. Reinstalled the full 6GB and blue screened again. Tried rebooting, and black screen, no POST.
CMOS reset, no change. The ASUS BIOS recovery utility appeared, looking for a new BIOS to update, but disappeared before I was ready.

Now all I get is a black screen, no POST, no BIOS recovery utility, no nothing.
If the BIOS is corrupted (as it appears) can I replace the motherboard with my existing HDDs (1 74GB SATA Raptor system drive, 1 80GB IDE Caviar, 1 250GB IDE Caviar) and other hardware and still have a bootable system with my files intact? Or have I lost everything? I know the IDE drives are not hot-swappable, but if they're still tied to the SATA system drive, is it recoverable? The SATA drive was installed in AHCI mode, if it matters.

If my BIOS chip is removable, my dad has the same mobo...I could try a BIOS flash using his mobo and winflash when I see him in a couple of weeks, but I'm hoping to resolve this sooner...

seeker
08-04-09, 12:16 PM
Just a quick Google, but there appears to be some kind of quirk with that BIOS, and it isn't clear to me whether or not that BIOS chip is replaceable or not, but the info on the Asus website had this note about their Crashfree BIOS:

CrashFree BIOS 3
Simply restore corrupted BIOS data from USB flash disk
The ASUS CrashFree BIOS 3 allows users to restore corrupted BIOS data from a USB flash disk containing the BIOS file. This utility saves users the cost and hassle of buying a replacement BIOS chip.

bob saget
08-04-09, 12:50 PM
The only thing i can say is use the utility EZ flash or whatever Asus boards have. Dont you any windows based one.

lduguay
08-04-09, 12:50 PM
Have you tried to remove the power and battery from your mb? After a few hours, try booting with 1 proven good memory stick.

If the MB is really dead, you can replace it and get all your data back.

lduguay
08-04-09, 12:52 PM
The only thing i can say is use the utility EZ flash or whatever Asus boards have. Dont you any windows based one.

The OP says that he gets a black screen, no POST.

TheBigOne
08-04-09, 04:16 PM
Press Alt+F2 sure boot from System Recovery

911medic
08-05-09, 07:43 AM
Just a quick Google, but there appears to be some kind of quirk with that BIOS, and it isn't clear to me whether or not that BIOS chip is replaceable or not, but the info on the Asus website had this note about their Crashfree BIOS:
Unfortunately, the BIOS chip is soldered on this board. The Crashfree system seems to be a bit of a joke, from what I can find. I have been unable to get it to show up again.

911medic
08-05-09, 07:45 AM

If you're referring to my remark regarding using my Dad's board, I would have to use a windows based utility to make that work. Boot into windows w/his good BIOS chip, then pull the chip and put my bad one in, then Winflash.

Unfortunately, it's a moot point since the chip is soldered onto the board.

911medic
08-05-09, 07:46 AM
Have you tried to remove the power and battery from your mb? After a few hours, try booting with 1 proven good memory stick.

If the MB is really dead, you can replace it and get all your data back.

Thanks...Yes, I've tried that (multiple times, actually). I bought a new board and am in the process of rebuilding. Good to know the data will still be there.

911medic
08-05-09, 07:49 AM
I bought a Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3L, and am rebuilding. Was able to move the HDDs to my kids' PC mobo and use an Ubuntu live CD to access the data on the drives.

Just trying to get past a GRUB 122 error now when booting on the new board. At one time I dual booted Ubuntu and XP, and apparently it's come back to haunt me.

seeker
08-05-09, 09:28 AM
I'm not the one to give you detailed instructions, but I know that when changing MBs, that the ease or difficulty of doing so depends on the chipset of the MBs. If they are the same, it would probably boot without a hitch, but if different that can be another story. It might be necessary to remove the old chipset drivers and install the new.

911medic
08-05-09, 05:36 PM
I'm not the one to give you detailed instructions, but I know that when changing MBs, that the ease or difficulty of doing so depends on the chipset of the MBs. If they are the same, it would probably boot without a hitch, but if different that can be another story. It might be necessary to remove the old chipset drivers and install the new.

Well, I'm going from a P965 to a P45, so we'll see... At least they're both Intel-based.