PDA

View Full Version : Next standard resloution above 2560x1600?

pRATTICUS
08-08-09, 08:24 AM
Hi guys,

I have a 30" Dell 3007WFP with the standard native resolution of 2560x1600.

Well, now that I've had it for 3 years, I am getting an itch to upgrade.

Can anyone advise where I can go from here?

TIA

betterdan
08-08-09, 08:31 AM
You can go to my house and drop off the stuff you don't want anymore.

hokeyplyr48
08-08-09, 10:02 AM
I'll take another 30" dell :D

pRATTICUS
08-08-09, 10:09 AM
I'll take another 30" dell :D

That is certainly an option - what would the video card requirements be on a dual 30" setup at an effective resolution of 5120x1600?

I want to be able to play 3D based games with moderate eye candy at 30+FPS.

With my current GTX 280 could I just SLi another and get decent performance?

XDanger
08-08-09, 12:35 PM
That is certainly an option - what would the video card requirements be on a dual 30" setup at an effective resolution of 5120x1600?

Dual is utterly pointless in games, You need 3 monitors otherwise you are looking at the split.

If you can afford 2 more of the same monitor then go for it but get a new i7 with all the trimmings also, You'll need it.

SPEND SPEND SPEND!!

Otherwise get 2 cheaper monitors the same size since the periphery is less important, But you'll still want the i7 tri-sli setup to power them.

Can you run 3 monitors that size without 3 graphics cards, Do they need dual output to each screen?

Another option would be to downgrade to 3x 1080p televisions but 42" or above :) That'd be pretty sweet.

Let me re-phrase that,

It would be ****ing awesome.

You would only need 2 graphics cards also.

bob saget
08-08-09, 03:05 PM
Dual is utterly pointless in games, You need 3 monitors otherwise you are looking at the split.

If you can afford 2 more of the same monitor then go for it but get a new i7 with all the trimmings also, You'll need it.

SPEND SPEND SPEND!!

Otherwise get 2 cheaper monitors the same size since the periphery is less important, But you'll still want the i7 tri-sli setup to power them.

Can you run 3 monitors that size without 3 graphics cards, Do they need dual output to each screen?

Another option would be to downgrade to 3x 1080p televisions but 50" or above :) That'd be pretty sweet.

Let me re-phrase that,

It would be ****ing awesome.

You would only need 2 graphics cards also.

:lol: agreed.

TheBigOne
08-09-09, 01:46 PM
Always better to go with two instead of one, you can get more done that way more productive. "I am assuming you are upgrading you not happy with it for some reason" A friend of mine own that monitor and is dumping it because of allot of ghosting and picture not the greatest $1200 junk. I won't buy the same monitor only because the backlight is on its way out "That monitor is three years old already, you be lucky if you get another two years out of it.

If you are going to upgraded go with one with good dynamic contrast ratio you will get a sharper picture, the only two worth getting is Acer or LG, Acer may make crap Laptops but these monitors are pretty good, and the LG is pretty good, they got all good reviews.

1. Acer B273HU has 40000:1 and 2048 x 1152 with DVI HDMI RGB and USB PORTS very good monitor built to last like my old NEC's I just got two of these and picture is great, better then the POS Samsungs that these replaced.

2. LG W2753V-PF - 27 just came out but spec are very good 50000:1 contrast ratio and only 2ms Response Time and 1920x1080 Resolution DVI HDMI RGB and USB

3. LG W3000H-Bn Black 30" 5ms if you have room for two big lcd's better then dell 1000:1 15ms this one have 3000:1 ratio and 5ms

Brands to stay away from. "They may look flashy but pure junk" Dell, HP and Samsung and any of the low-end crap they sell for less than $250, had two Samsung only lasted three months capacitors blow on both monitors, HP all they new monitors suck at best dell old LCD's use to be good, new one quality when downhill.

If you go with big LCD 42" and up then go with Samsung or Sony.

If it for gaming stick with your Dell for now and go I7 setup.

Thunderbolt56
08-09-09, 06:45 PM
Spellcheckers are so easy to use these days I've gotten to where I don't even bother reading posts that disregard proper spelling and don't contain some semblance of sentence structure. :)

FYI, that red squiggly line under all those words really does mean something. :cool:

einstein_314
08-09-09, 07:26 PM
Spellcheckers are so easy to use these days I've gotten to where I don't even bother reading posts that disregard proper spelling and don't contain some semblance of sentence structure. :)

FYI, that red squiggly line under all those words really does mean something. :cool:
And yet you bothered to post in this thread? Maybe he doesn't use a browser with automatic spell checking. Or maybe his first language isn't English. Or maybe he just made an honest mistake. It happens sometimes. Get over it.

Anyways....back on topic. If I had some extra money laying around, I would definitely invest in a second monitor (currently have a Dell 2407WFP). Dual monitors is awesome for productivity and the like, but as it was said in a previous post, pretty much useless for gaming since you'll be stuck staring at the joint between the two monitors. You pretty much have to go triple monitors for good gaming. But that requires some serious horsepower to drive them, especially when we're talking about the resolutions the 30" runs at.

I've seen a few guys who used a 30" for the center monitor, and a 20" on either side but turned to portrait mode. Made for a sweet setup and I'm pretty sure they line up pretty well in terms of being the same height and all that.

TheBigOne
08-09-09, 09:39 PM

Good then don't read it, look fine to me.

XDanger
08-10-09, 02:14 PM
2 monitors for productivity ....pfff :thumbdwn::thumbdwn:

3 BIG ASS MONITORS FOR GAMING!!! (nana2):captnkill:(nana2):captnkill:(nana2)

;)