PDA

View Full Version : Six-core 32nm Westmere Review

Heinz68
08-10-09, 12:37 PM
6 Page long review at HKEPC (http://global.hkepc.com/3846/page/1#view), the benchmark are on page 5 and 6.

I might wait for the new Sandy Bridge microarchitecture.

Here is the Google translation (http://translate.google.com/translate?js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fglobal.hkepc.com%2F3846%2Fpage%2F5% 23view&sl=auto&tl=en&history_state0=)

Sazar
08-10-09, 01:41 PM
Not sure it's worth going with more cores at the moment until the technology catches up.

A 2-6% improvement in FPS is also not that significant.

Theoretical increases were the bigger and computational throughput was improved, but real-world benefits were negligible.

2-4 cores should be sufficient for the here and now until more apps go multi-threaded and take full advantage of the props.

hell_of_doom227
08-10-09, 05:11 PM
This is another reason why to get i7 platform, not upcoming i5.

pakotlar
08-11-09, 12:03 AM
2-4 cores should be sufficient for the here and now until more apps go multi-threaded and take full advantage of the props.

Good thing its being released in a year then!

pakotlar
08-11-09, 12:04 AM
This is another reason why to get i7 platform, not upcoming i5.

i5 is such a damn stupid platform. Why can't socket 1366 be the standard? What the hell intel

lamarodom007
08-13-09, 02:59 AM
i5 is such a damn stupid platform. Why can't socket 1366 be the standard? What the hell intel

Becuz they want to burn a big hole on your pocket.

pakotlar
08-13-09, 07:46 PM
Becuz they want to burn a big hole on your pocket.

I'm wearing tight leather, those mother fckers

Heinz68
08-15-09, 12:41 AM
The six-core Gulftown in the second quarter 2010.
The new micro-architecture Sandy Bridge in the fourth quarter of 2010

Looks like I will wait for the Sandy Bridge. The US$1,500 for Gulftown is way to high with the Sandy Bridge launch only few months later.

Intel moving to 32nm

Monica Chen, Taipei; Joseph Tsai, DIGITIMES (http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20090812PD225.html) [Wednesday 12 August 2009]

Intel is scheduled to introduce its 32nm 'Sandy Bridge' microarchitecture, which will succeed Nehalem and Westmere, in the fourth quarter of 2010, according to sources at PC makers.

Intel is set to volume produce new Westmere chips based on 32nm manufacturing in the fourth quarter of 2009, and is on track to ship Clarkdale for desktops and Arrandale for notebooks in first-quarter 2010 followed by the launch of its six-core Gulftown CPUs in the second quarter.

Pricing of the six-core Gulftown CPUs is expected to reach as high as US$1,499 in thousand-unit tray quantities.

Intel plans to let 45nm Nehalem-based CPUs co-exist with 32nm Westmere-based CPUs before Sandy Bridge appears, indicating that Intel has no plans to launch quad-core Westmere CPUs for desktops or notebooks.

Intel declined the opportunity to respond to this report saying it cannot comment on unannounced products.

pakotlar
08-15-09, 02:28 AM
The six-core Gulftown in the second quarter 2010.
The new micro-architecture Sandy Bridge in the fourth quarter of 2010

Looks like I will wait for the Sandy Bridge. The US$1,500 for Gulftown is way to high with the Sandy Bridge launch only few months later.

Sandy Bridge will be a year later than Gulftown. That's not a few months. Also, there is little indication how much faster it will be. I've read from devs on B3d today that the AVX extension to SSE is pretty much useless until you write code specifically for it. They didn't double SSE, they made the registers 2x as wide. However when you're dealing with SSE 128bit instructions, that doesn't help. We'll see if games adopt the new instructions before 2012-2013 and how much it will help.

Heinz68
08-15-09, 04:14 AM
Sandy Bridge will be a year later than Gulftown. That's not a few months. Also, there is little indication how much faster it will be. I've read from devs on B3d today that the AVX extension to SSE is pretty much useless until you write code specifically for it. They didn't double SSE, they made the registers 2x as wide. However when you're dealing with SSE 128bit instructions, that doesn't help. We'll see if games adopt the new instructions before 2012-2013 and how much it will help.
Second quarter 2010 and fourth quarter of 2010 is not 1 year later plus looking at the HKPC benchmarks I don't think the six-core Gulftown is worth US$1,500 even if it was for one year.

Anyway except the Gulftown benchmarks everything is just rumors so lets wait and see. I do that before making final decision.

Edit:
Now my priority updates are, Windows 7, SSD and new dual GPU DX11 Graphic card.