PDA

View Full Version : Raid and non raid disks

fasedww
08-10-09, 03:26 PM
Ok on my non raid disk I have vista ultimate on, my two 300 gig raptors I want to put windows 7 rc on, So I went in bios enabled raid reboot, CRTL-i configured raid 0, put windows 7rc on it find. got all updates and drivers runs great. here's my question?, how do I boot to my non raid vista 0S, with out going in bios and changing sata back to non raid. Can't you have a raid setup with a 0S, and a non raid disk with another 0S and chosse which one to boot to,?, I tried to boot to vista non raid 0S but it would reboot and load the raid 0S win 7RC. Don't know if this is possible, I'm using rampage extreme 2 bios 1502.:(

seeker
08-10-09, 05:32 PM
When you first start booting up, start tapping F8 to load the boot menu, and you should have each harddrive/raid devices listed separately. Just arrow down to the one that you want.

fasedww
08-10-09, 06:18 PM
I did that and it starts to load vista but it crash like because seen a blue flicker then it reboots and loads the raid 0S.:(

seeker
08-10-09, 06:36 PM
It sounds as though you left the Vista harddrive connected while installing W7 on the raid. That not a good thing to do, because it will mess up the booting of the previous OS.

The only suggestion that I would have is to see if you can straighten out the problem in the Recovery Console. Some commands that might help are chkdsk, bootcfg,and fixboot. Be sure that the raid drives are disconnected, so that this doesn't mess up your W7. If none of those help, then perhaps a repair install of Vista. That failing, starting over from scratch with a clean install with the raid drives disconnected until finished.

fasedww
08-10-09, 06:47 PM
yeah i did that put win 7 on the raid drive with vista drive connected. So disconect raid drives and do a repair?

fasedww
08-10-09, 07:04 PM
Everything ok on vista disk, I'm going to unplug it and reinstall win 7rc on the raid disks.

seeker
08-10-09, 07:11 PM
Now you have me confused...I thought that you said that Vista was the problem, not W7 on the raid.

fasedww
08-11-09, 09:24 AM
All I did last night just removed raid on the two 300 gig raptors, set everything to ehanced ide, and put windows 7 on one of the raptors, now when I boot it's says what to boot too, win 7, or win vista, hit which ever one I want and it works, boots to that 0S, I some how wasn't able to when I had win 7 in raid with the raptors, had to go back in bios and change raid back to ide to get back in vista, I don't want to have to do that to switch 0S, pain in the but. everything works great now.:D

seeker
08-11-09, 12:45 PM
I'm not one that's familiar with alot of different kinds of hardware, but I'm wondering if when you setup your raid, if you left your Vista harddrive raid enabled also? In my BIOS, I choose precisely which harddrives are raid and which aren't.

fasedww
08-11-09, 01:03 PM
I'm not one that's familiar with alot of different kinds of hardware, but I'm wondering if when you setup your raid, if you left your Vista harddrive raid enabled also? In my BIOS, I choose precisely which harddrives are raid and which aren't.

in the setup raid crt-i I had raptors in raid as it read, and the vista 0S disk said non raid as read. Could'nt boot to the non raid disk, would just reboot and go to win 7, I tried this in the F8 option I had win 7 and vista , cdrom., but it would not go to vista when I selected, it just reboot but would boot to win 7 as it was in raid. don't know what is the problem, but heck I have it set up so it works now just don't have the raptors in raid.

fasedww
08-11-09, 05:16 PM
I got it fiqured out now from a guy at asus forums. but I'm not going to try it for a couple days,
You basically have 2 options.

RAID/AHCI or IDE mode for your setup, you cant have both IDE and RAID/AHCI. When set on RAID, drives will operate in 'Enhanced' form (AHCI) regardless of whether you have an actual RAID array, this means that one can have a RAID setup running alongside a single AHCI drive, which is what you require in your case.

Trouble is, Windows can be very fussy sometimes when installing on an AHCI setup and sometimes causes problems during setup.

I would suggest doing it this way:

Don't connect the drives that you want to use in RAID for the moment, until we have Windows 7 all setup correctly.

Set the single drive that you want to install Windows 7 on in BIOS to IDE mode. (we'll change this back to RAID later). Install Windows 7 and let it finish everything required.

Follow guide below to enable AHCI mode in Windows 7 after installing:

http://www.ithinkdiff.com/how-to-enable-ahci-in-windows-7-rc-after-installation/

Reboot and enter BIOS, change SATA mode to RAID!!!

Exit BIOS and save, restart Windows 7 and let it install the AHCI drivers, now there will be no problems booting into Windows 7 on AHCI :)

Switch off PC and re-connect the drives you want to use in the RAID array. Turn on PC and enter the RAID configuration utility (F10 I think it is). Set up your RAID as required.

Kinda long winded lol, but that should do the trick :)