PDA

View Full Version : I need a new case - something like an HAF 932 but not exactly

Hambone
08-10-09, 09:34 PM
The HAF-932 is really a little bit too massive for my needs. That and it doesn't have any kind of built in dust prevention. The HAF-922 seems like a good option, but it seems a tiny bit small actually. I really do love the HDD drive system in this case.

The things I most want are:
-A cut out under the CPU area (for HSF or CPU changes without having to remove the motherboard
-Drive bays that make it very easy to add or remove drives and have good clearance past a modern GPU

Right now I have an Antec 900 case. It's a little too small and I won't touch another Antec right now. The HDD bay system is a nightmare. You have to remove the GPU to pull out a HDD and you also have to remove 4 screws from each side of the HDD bays to be able to slide out the HDD bay itself (nightmare).

bob saget
08-10-09, 09:57 PM
I'd recommend the cosmos or the 932. I ended up going for the 932 on impulse. they both seem terrific.
For the cutout area, i dont think many cases have this feature, at least not that i know of....

Hambone
08-10-09, 10:46 PM
hmm... the Cosmos lost me at no CPU cut out. The last time I changed out a CPU on an existing motherboard I swore I would never strip out another case again just to change a CPU.

Yeah that really is odd on the HAF sizes. I would have assumed the 932 is massive and it does look that way in video reviews. But, it's only an inch longer and two inches taller than the 922? It also doesn't seem possible that it's only 3" longer and taller than an Antec 900 case. Most of the comments on Newegg talk about how "HUDGE" it is (and heavy). If it's really only +3" on two dimensions that doesn't seem right at all.

The HAF-932 is listed on Newegg.com as a full tower case but that close to an Antec 900 it can't really be a full tower case can it? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119160

Frys.com (where I'll probably grab one if I decide to go this way) has it for only $10 more but lists it as a Mid-Tower case: http://www.frys.com/product/5707262?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

(L x W x H)

Antec 900
19.4'' x 8.1'' x 18.4''

HAF 922
22.2" x 10" x 19.7"

HAF 932
22.7" x 9" x 21.5"

HAF size difference over Antec 900:
+3.3" x +0.9" x +3.1"

I totally love the HDD drive bays in the HAF's (although the IDE cables make me want to puke now - I'm so SATA spoiled).
http://www.coolermaster-usa.com/upload/product/2810/gallery/full/9.jpg?885514480
http://www.coolermaster-usa.com/upload/product/2810/gallery/full/7.jpg?1438749048

bob saget
08-10-09, 11:05 PM
Yea i have ide on mine, its disgusting.
Bottom line, really like mine, lots of room, airflow, etc...
Do you not have any store near you where you can go get a peak at an opened one?

qube
08-10-09, 11:34 PM
Corsair Obsidian 800D

http://www.komplett.se/img/p/1200/489882.jpg

its nice case:captnkill:

qube
08-11-09, 05:38 AM
i will wait fore them to go all alu then its the best case out there:cool:

Hambone
08-11-09, 12:25 PM
I went into Fry's today meaning to grab a 932. They were out sadly, so I compared the 922 to the 932 side by side (display models). Really I don't use two PSU's and don't water cool, so I really didn't see that much I wanted that the 932 had and 922 did not. So, I just grabbed a 922.

I'm not 100% happy, but the Hard Drive bay system and CPU cutout (as well as the easily replacable top fan which the Antec 900 does not have), should keep me happy for a good while.

seeker
08-18-09, 04:57 AM
This thread inspired me to buy a 922 also. I have been tinkering with it today, and overall I'm happy with it so far. This is the first case that I have had with toolless drive bays, so I had to fiddle with them some. I like the manner that the external drives lock in place, but I'm not all that impressed with the internal drive locks. Maybe I'll change my mind, after getting more accustomed to them.

I also am going from an Antec case (1040BII), for many of the same reasons of the OP. One thing Antec that I definitely do not like is their power supplies, but since my Cooler Master is currently powering my old system, I had to dig an old Antec out of the closet...I hope that it is still good.

Actually, the majority of the components that I shall use are items that have been in the closet for some time, so it probably will be hit and miss getting the new system running at 100%, but I have my fingers crossed.

Thunderbolt56
08-18-09, 09:44 AM
My son just built his new rig in the HAF 922 and loves it.

Personally, I think the best case ever is the CM Stacker 830. I'm on my 3rd rig in it and I'm amazed every time I gut it and re-install.

seeker
08-22-09, 10:10 PM
I'm wondering if anyone can answer a question...unlike my previous case, the case speaker/buzzer only has a length of ~ 4" and won't reach anyplace to attach it. There is a small L shaped bracket that was in the accessory pack (which curiously isn't listed in the parts list), it kind of looks as though it was intended for attaching the speaker someplace, but there is no holes in the case that the bracket and the screw that fits it will fit. Neither the plug or speaker ends of the cable will fit though the opening, which is a hole of ~1/4" and the only way that I can see using it is simply as a point to attach a cable tie. This seems kind of jury rigged, and I'm wondering if I'm overlooking a better solution?

seeker
09-02-09, 12:26 PM
After assembling the 922 rig, I like it very much, it runs about 9 degrees cooler than my old rig, but one thing that they need to redesign is the placement of the drivebay stack. It needs to be set more toward the front side of the case, to allow more space on the back for the cables connecting to the drives. It seemed that regardless of how I tried, the cable loops interfered with putting the right side cover in place. There is room to spare on the front that really isn't needed.

Maverick123w
09-02-09, 04:22 PM
When I went looking for new cases I had 4 I was looking into. The HAF 932/922 the CM Storm Scout, and the Antec 902.

The HAF 932 seemed slightly inferior to the 922 to me at least so I knocked it out right away. The Scout was really cool but somewhat cramped on the inside and I don't think I'd ever use the LAN handle anyway.

It was really really tough for me to decide between the 922 and the 902. I went there to buy the 922 but for whatever reason I wasn't as impressed with it as I thought I would be.

I liked the look of the 902 a whole lot more, and loved the fact it had dust filters all around. The hard drive system isn't as nice as the 922 but I take my drive out only when I'm upgrading which is like once every few years so thats no biggie, and the cpu cutout, while nice, is a feature I would only use a few times over the life of the case.

I think cases are very personal choices. In person I find the 932/922 kinda ugly. The Storm Scout is a thing of beauty though.

seeker
09-02-09, 05:05 PM
As you say, it is a matter of taste, but I don't like plastic side windows, and as far as filters go, I have mixed feelings about them. They don't really clean the air totally, and if they did, they would reduce air flow too much. Since I have resigned myself to the task of periodic cleaning anyway, the filters only effect the interval between tasks. I would have liked having a filter on the top blow hole though, because that seems more likely to ingest something more harmful than dust, considering the fact that I often place other items on top of the case.

Another thing that I don't care for much is having the power switch on top. When working on the case, I found myself turning the power on and off by accident.

Bigbuck
09-02-09, 05:13 PM
If I was going to buy a case now I was pretty set on getting the CM 932. I really like the side fan on it as that is the most important fan for me since it would take out a lot of heat from the whole system. That being said I am not one that really cares for fancy lights or side windows so the CM 922 also looks good but is missing the fan I liked. The tool less design is nice, but I am not changing parts out that much where its a necessity.
The CM Stacker 830 Evolution is also nice, but a tad more expensive. This doesn't bother me as most likely the next case I buy will be around for a long time. A person I talked to that has the CM 932 is getting rid of it because of the amount of dust the thing attracts. I don't know enough about filters to know if they are actually worth it or not.

seeker
09-02-09, 05:29 PM
You could just add the side fan to the 922

bob saget
09-02-09, 05:34 PM
As you say, it is a matter of taste, but I don't like plastic side windows, and as far as filters go, I have mixed feelings about them. They don't really clean the air totally, and if they did, they would reduce air flow too much. Since I have resigned myself to the task of periodic cleaning anyway, the filters only effect the interval between tasks. I would have liked having a filter on the top blow hole though, because that seems more likely to ingest something more harmful than dust, considering the fact that I often place other items on top of the case.

Another thing that I don't care for much is having the power switch on top. When working on the case, I found myself turning the power on and off by accident.

The top fan is exhaust, is it not?
Or you mean if something drops down into the case?

seeker
09-02-09, 05:49 PM
Exactly. Also, the perforations extend ~ an inch beyond the 200mm fan that comes stock, so that a person could use dual 120s. I'm not certain of the direction of air flow in these areas, and even if a person did use dual 120s, they would then have the same spaces on the sides of them.

Bigbuck
09-02-09, 06:50 PM
Does the 932 have the LED on/off switch like the 922 does?

bob saget
09-02-09, 06:54 PM
Exactly. Also, the perforations extend ~ an inch beyond the 200mm fan that comes stock, so that a person could use dual 120s. I'm not certain of the direction of air flow in these areas, and even if a person did use dual 120s, they would then have the same spaces on the sides of them.

Yea there is room for 2 120s on the top. I have an extra 120 on the very bottom, so i think its enough for me. There is a fan on every side of the case except the back of the motherboard side :D

bob saget
09-02-09, 06:54 PM
Does the 932 have the LED on/off switch like the 922 does?

Not sure, i didnt look for one. The only LED i guess is the red one in the front, and its nowhere close to being bright.

Bigbuck
09-02-09, 06:56 PM
How bright is it in pitch black? That would bother the hell out of me if when trying to go to sleep. Even the battery light on my laptop bugs me :P.

seeker
09-02-09, 07:43 PM
Yea there is room for 2 120s on the top. I have an extra 120 on the very bottom, so i think its enough for me. There is a fan on every side of the case except the back of the motherboard side :D
I considered different fan options, but I saw no point in dual 120s vs a 200mm fan, because I don't know that the dual fans would increase CFM or not, but it would certainly increase the noise. I didn't think that the sound reduction would matter to me, but since getting this rig running, I'm beginning to like the quiet.

The cooling factor that I like best is due to the placement of the drive bays in relation to the front intake fan. I have one old 80GB drive that I had stopped using, because it was getting to around 47 degrees in my Antec case, but in this one, it only at 28 degrees...the coolest drive in the rig.